Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latency problem with Battery in Cubase via V-Drums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latency problem with Battery in Cubase via V-Drums

I was wondering if anyone could help -

Whenever I do a roll on a vdrum pad, I hear a noticeable delay. Furthermore, I would do a 12 stroke roll and approximately only 8 hits are played through my monitors.

I am using Soundscape Mixtreme ASIO drivers, and the Emagic AMT8 midi interface. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Jason

to my left

Comment

Actually, no, while playing live....

It's a PIII 1GHz... not sure where to check for the latency, however. No Midi fiters (whatever that is) Filters? None of that either...

Thanks.

Jason

Comment

I`m assuming here that you are playing the V`s but only listening to the battery sounds.
        A few things you should consider ,Midi by its very serial nature will introduce a latency ,play two notes at exactly the same time and they are sent one after the other ,not together.

Dont forget that the V-drum module actually introduces a latency as well ,not enough to notice when listenig to the V sounds but it is there ,When playing the v-pads it takes a small amount of time for the module to calculate which sound to play taking into acount that it has to calculate the positional sensing of the pads to know which sound to play, then it has to work out which midi notes to send.
        If you are not listening to the V-drum sounds then turn off the "Local Control" as this will mean that the module dosn`t need to know which V sound to play but can just get right down to business and work out which midi messages to send out.

Regarding using your software to filter out the control change messages ,this again will not help solve the problem , for example ,the hihat controller uses CC4 messages and sends large amounts of midi messages for even a slight movement of the FD-7 ,so as I said before ,Midi is serial so if their are lots of CC4 messages being sent then Note On messages just have to join the serial queue which will add latency to the time it takes the computer to recieve the midi note from the module.

If I remember correctly ,battery can make no use of the CC4 messages so its far better to filter them from the V-Drum module.

Even though your software may report a very low ASIO latency their are still lots of other things to consider ,firstly background tasks running on the PC ,If you have lots of little icons in the taskbar next to the clock then you have background tasks running ,this is not good for audio apps as they are robbing battery of valuable resources ,things like the "CD Auto insert Notification" also hog valuable clock cycles.
        Ditch them all.

Another thing to take into acount if you are using battery from within a sequencer or as well as a sequencer in standalone mode ,is that any other tracks that are playing whilst you are playing battery in real time will also put a strain on the resources.
        Try to keep the amount of tracks playing to a minimum while you record your drum track as midi ,this can be done by turning off any realtime effects and either creating a mixdown of the other tracks so that the sequencer only has to play one file or just have a couple of tracks playing while you record the drums.

Just a quick note on the Direct monitoring of the card ,this will not help with Battery and latency at all. Its only really helpfull when recording audio into the PC as it directs whatever the card recieves in the audio inputs directly to the outputs so it dosnt need to go through the software before being heard which could also introduce latency.

Good Luck
        Last edited by e-drummer; 10-25-02, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X