Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

The Products forum is for product discussion & advice. Please do not ask technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

Official Discussion Topic: Drum Sticks

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In my recent search to find a new stick, this was my venture...

I originally was using (over the past 5 years or so)...
    Jason Sutter - Regal Tip
    16.375 L x 0.590 D
    Issues: Wood tip, Potential head damage, Changed/Discontinued

Ideal for me based on 30+ years of playing choices...
    Hickory w/ Nylon Oval
    16.375 L x 0.590 D

I tried...
    Los Angeles 5A - Vater
    16.0 L x 0.570 D
    Issues: Short, Light weight

Dave Weckl - Vic Firth
    16.25 L x 0.560 D
    Issues: Thin, Heavy, Long

Super 5A Nylon (oval) - Zildjian
    Super 5A Nylon Anti-Vibe (oval) - Zildjian
    16.5 L x 0.585 D
    Issue: Heavy weight, weird feeling

My ultimate winner was...
    Vic Firth - Buddy Rich SBRN (5A Nylon)
    16.375 L x 0.590 D
    Issues: Wears over shorter time, splinters in time, must monitor

So many of the sticks I've used over the decades are no longer produced. I play very hard, but the BR was a great find.
    Alan
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• I've been using Vater 5As, wooden tip for a while, I recently wanted to try their sugar maple sticks opposed to the hickory sticks. I stumbled upon the Mike Johnston signature series sticks and bought a couple of pairs to try out, I do have to say that they're my new favorite stick now, just love them. Vater Mike Johnston series in sugar maple, go get a pair!!!!!!!
      Roland TD-25KV, Extra Cymbal, VEX RECORDS, Drum-tec real feel heads. DW 9002 and DW 9500, Vater Sugar Maple Sticks
      Roland RH-300V headphones..... 20 years of playing.... I still suck........

Comment

• Can someone explain to me the love for nylon tips? Not sarcasm, I genuinely want to know. I used to play them on my acoustic drums but I don't understand how it affects playing on an e-kit.
        FOR SALE: ATV aDrums Artist Expanded Set + Pearl Mimic Pro

Comment

• Originally posted by VeritasAequitas View Post
          Can someone explain to me the love for nylon tips? Not sarcasm, I genuinely want to know. I used to play them on my acoustic drums but I don't understand how it affects playing on an e-kit.
          wood tips if they splinter or chip can snag the mesh heads hence is why some of us use nylon tips.

Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

• years ago, i used wood tip hickory 5B sticks, tried pro mark 747 , then out of curiosity, i bought a couple sets of pro mark 420 mike portnoy nylon tip sticks. been been using them for 10 years and have great feel and balance. 16 1/8" long X .531 thick. cool thing is, Ive been playing e drums for nearly 20 years and never broke a stick and i hit fairly hard
            Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

• I want to thank Alan for his hint with the Vic Firth Buddy Rich Signature sticks with nylon tip, SBRN sticks.
              I always used PROMARK "Rebound 5A .565" RBH565AW, was very happy with those sticks.
              After watching the recent videos of AlanVex showing his Mimic Origins kits, I got curious about those white sticks. I never tried or used nylon tips before.
              I tried the Buddy Rich sticks now for 3 days and my first impression is very good. I love the length, a little longer than the Promark 5A and love the feel, they feel great and balanced and the rebound is much better. When I practice doubles they work much better with the new sticks. Even I love the shape of the nylon tip. The Promark tip has more of a sharper arrow style shape which I don't like that much.

I also tried the GAVIN HARRISON signatures which Peter Warren uses, they are really great, I love them too, but I cannot play them that long. They are soooo heavy in terms of weight, practicing doubles with them I had pain in my wrists afterwards.
              Last edited by spitfirejoe; 03-25-18, 08:59 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by spitfirejoe View Post
                I want to thank Alan for his hint with the Vic Firth Buddy Rich Signature sticks with nylon tip, SBRN sticks.
                I always used PROMARK "Rebound 5A .565" RBH565AW, was very happy with those sticks.
                After watching the recent videos of AlanVex showing his Mimic Origins kits, I got curious about those white sticks. I never tried or used nylon tips before.
                I tried the Buddy Rich sticks now for 3 days and my first impression is very good. I love the length, a little longer than the Promark 5A and love the feel, they feel great and balanced and the rebound is much better. When I practice doubles they work much better with the new sticks. Even I love the shape of the nylon tip. The Promark tip has more of a sharper arrow style shape which I don't like that much.

I also tried the GAVIN HARRISON signatures which Peter Warren uses, they are really great, I love them too, but I cannot play them that long. They are soooo heavy in terms of weight, practicing doubles with them I had pain in my wrists afterwards.
                Glad something I mentioned helped.
                Alan
                website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message

Comment

• I'm a big fan of Vic Firth sticks. Anything A. Longer is better. Power sticks.
                  FOR SALE: ATV aDrums Artist Expanded Set + Pearl Mimic Pro

Comment

• BRAND: BALBEX (http://www.balbex.cz/en/)
                    SIZE/SIGNATURE: 3A Hornbeam with my own signature design
                    TIP/SPECIAL FEATURES: Wood barrel TIP. Wood used is Hornbeam.
                    USE: All round POP/ROCK
                    RECOMMENDATION: YES! Probably never going to change brand again. Been using this stick for 10+ years.

Comment

• Having used drumming gloves for the longest time, I've been searching for the best rubberised "dipped" sticks for those pick up and play moments.

I've had hands-on with the Vic Firth and Zildjian offerings which are actually very similar. They are both very grippy, but have the tendency to pickup dust.

If you're the sort of person who is sensitive to grains or particles under finger, they are not easy to keep clean. Plus there's also the risk of fiction burn after playing longer sessions. But for quick sessions, they are certainly the most grippy.

Got me thinking however, that perhaps rubber wasn't what I was really after.

So I'm here to recommend Promark ActiveGrip. They are the perfect middle ground between glossy wood and a dip.

activegrip2.jpg

I think the coating on them is ingenious and does actually work, but more importantly with my loose grip, I'm not dropping them like my glossy Vic Firth sticks when I'm not wearing gloves, mission success there.

I have the Rebound 5A model - which is interesting that they directly offer models that differentiate on balance. So in theory, those double jazz fills should be maximised on the rebound, and the forward balance must favour more inertia and power.
                      ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
                      Community Drum Module Document
                      PA Specifications (wip)

Comment

Working...
                      X