Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

The Products forum is for product discussion & advice. Please do not ask technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

Official Discussion Topic: Drum Sticks

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Discussion Topic: Drum Sticks

Hi everybody,

So, other users have been doing these "Once and for all" threads, which are absolutely fantastic and provided a great help to me when I searched the forum for key bits of information:

Headphones, by Canerican
    PA/Monitors, by grog
    VST Primer, by Joe_K

However, I also searched quite extensively for drum sticks and advices on what to use, and although drum sticks are very much a matter of personal taste, like headphones, I still believe it would be nice to have a place where people can read what others use, and perhaps get some hints and tips. Not only would this be a great benefit to new people, but would also allow the rest of us to see recommendations on particular sticks that serve a particular purpose.

I sincerely hope that you will help this thread be useful, since its base of existence is entirely the posts and recommendations you guys create. If you feel this thread, or this post in particular, should be changed, dont hesitate to pm me. However, the thread will be far more useful if people refrain from posting anything other than drum stick related info.

To further streamline things, and ease the readibility, I propose the following scheme for posting your thoughts on drum sticks - please PM me if this lacks something that you feel is needed:

---------------

BRAND:
    SIZE/SIGNATURE:
    TIP/SPECIAL FEATURES:
    USE:
    RECOMMENDATION:

------------

For example, I'll post my info - I use two pairs of sticks.

BRAND: Regal Tip
    SIZE/SIGNATURE: 7A
    TIP/SPECIAL FEATURES: Wooden tip
    USE: Very short, good for jazz or slow blues.
    RECOMMENDATION: I think it serves its purpose well. It also has a nice, smooth finish - bit slippery at first, but I took a piece of sandpaper and gently scraped the sides once.

BRAND: Vic Firth
    SIZE/SIGNATURE: Jojo Mayer, short 5A'ish
    TIP/SPECIAL FEATURES: White color, wooden tip
    USE: A bit thicker than the Regal Tip, so I use it for Rock and slightly heavy stuff.
    RECOMMENDATION: For me, the grip is absolutely excellent, and the stick is still short while retaining some thickness... Comparing to the Regal Tip, I think this is far more versatile.

To finish off, I would like to re-emphasize that sticks are a matter of PERSONAL PREFERENCE - No one else, not even your favourite drummer, can tell you what sticks will be perfect for YOU. You'll have to try out some, and if they don't suit you, find out what you feel is wrong with the stick and acquire a pair that accomodate the shortcomings of your old weapon. The posts in this thread are only meant as tips and to provide an insight into some of the thoughts that fellow drummers have had regarding their sticks.

I'll bite.

SIZE/SIGNATURE:7A
    TIP/SPECIAL FEATURES:Nylon tips
    USE:Everything, I even scratch my back with them.
    RECOMMENDATION:Was using VF 5A wood tips. Moved to the 7As and the reduction in wrist pain was very noticeable.
    TD9 Frankenkit

Comment

for almost 20 years ive used 5b wood tips and liked them alot! (i still have about 35 pair of them) untill a few months ago i somehow Got drumstick
      G.A.S. i read up on the promark 747 so went out and bought a few pair.
      my thoughts were, why didnt i try these before? i really noticed better stick control and rebound that is good for double stroke rolls. then still having GAS i read some reviews on promark mike portnoy signature sticks. at first i was skeptical as they are a little smaller than the 747 but with the 747's taper. so what the heck, i bought a pair and love em! even better control and rebound and well balanced. i play anything from contemporary worship to metal and prog rock. yes i am a fan of portnoys but that is not why i like these sticks. they totally rock! ive also noticed that my hands dont feel fretigued like they use to. the 5 b' feel pretty awkward now and so out of balance.
      Last edited by jammin777; 06-29-09, 03:27 PM.
      Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

I have a range of sticks, from 8D to 5A, 5B and Extreme 5A and Extreme 5B. On my electronic set, I choose the lighter sticks when playing a lighter kit, and use the heavier sticks for the heavier kits. It just feels right to me that way, even though the stick selection obviously doesn't change the sound at all. On the acoustic kit, with my band, I prefer the "Rock" size sticks, pretty much miniature baseball bats because the music requires that kind of heavy hitting.
        Module: TD-9v2. Kick: KD-8. Snare: PD-120. Hats: VH-11. Toms: 3 x PD-80R. Crashes: CY-12RC, CY-14. Ride: CY-15R. Aux: BT-1. Pedal: Iron Cobra with KAT Silent Strike beater. Tama Swivel hi-hat stand.

Comment

SIZE/SIGNATURE: American Jazz AJ2
          TIP/SPECIAL FEATURES: wood tip (wish they came in nylon).
          USE: All music styles, but due to the thin shoulder, will not hold up to heavy acoustic playing.
          RECOMMENDATION: I have found NO OTHER stick that is as vibration-free. And I own a TON of sticks. Not even the Zildjian Anti-vibe. The VF American Jazz sticks are a little longer than most sticks and have a VERY long tapered shoulder. This creates flex (I'm told) and this makes the stick feel GREAT. They also have a unique rebound that I have felt in no other stick. I now play NOTHING else.

Comment

SilverFox or Vic Firth
            SF 5A or 7A Delrin tips or VF 5A or 7A nylon tips on the Es

VF 5A or 7A wood tips on the As

Recommendation: SilverFox Delrin tips on Es. No other sticks like 'em!

Comment

OK - I'll bite too....

SIZE/SIGNATURE: Extreme 5AN
              TIP/SPECIAL FEATURES: Plastic
              USE: e's
              RECOMMENDATION: Very good - nicely weighted - longer length feels better balanced to me

BRAND: Calato
              SIZE/SIGNATURE: Blastick
              TIP/SPECIAL FEATURES: All plastic "brush" with o-ring to compact the fingers
              USE: a's as heavy brushes and e's as light sticks....
              RECOMMENDATION: I really like these - halfway between a brush and a stick

BRAND: Calato (Regal Tip)
              SIZE/SIGNATURE: Clayton Cameron
              TIP/SPECIAL FEATURES: Wire brushes - fixed handles - steel ball end
              USE: Brushes - light jazz on a's only
              RECOMMENDATION: Excellent - beautifully balanced and flexible

Comment

SIZE/SIGNATURE: 5A
                TIP/SPECIAL FEATURES: Wood tips
                USE: Acoustic kit
                RECOMMENDATION: very versatile stick, used for rock/pop/country anything really..

BRAND: Zildjian
                SIZE/SIGNATURE: AntiVibe 5A
                TIP/SPECIAL FEATURES: Wood tips
                USE: E-kit
                RECOMMENDATION: not a bad stick provided the rubber insert stays in place! i switched to the antivibes on my E's and noticed a reduction in wrist pain.
                i think however i'll try out Vic Firth's E-sticks...

Videos

The Dust Revival Band

Spinifex Rose

Kristy Lewis and the Wretched

Wayfaring Strangers

Comment

Previously:
                  Vic Firth 8DN
                  Currently:
                  Pulse 7AN

Yup, I have changed over to buying Pulse 7A nylon tip sticks.... Incredibly cheap, and excellent sticks, the nylon tips don't split like my previous Vic Firth 8DN sticks. My size of choice is the 8DN ... they have a little more length than the typical 7A stick. I decided to buy 12 pairs of the Pulse 7AN sticks from MF one time because they were on an incredibly cheap special and I needed to add a few bucks to my order to get free shipping. When I got the Pulse sticks and found the Pulse 7AN's had the identical feel and size to my Vic Firth 8DN sticks I was glad. Then after trying them out and finding they were actually as good, no, really better than the Firth sticks cause my Firth sticks had tip problems...... I was sold... You can see by my 2nd pic I have enough sticks to last years now.... I always buy 12 pr at a time.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by JmanWord; 06-25-09, 11:34 PM.
                  I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
                  Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

hey Jman those sticks will prolly outlast you or I back in the Adrum days i would break a pair a day! I never broke one in 11 years ive played vdrums.
                  maybe just wore out the wood tips. now i have to buy toothpicks as im not making them drumming anymore.
                  btw, its nice to see the ol'e ge washer and dryer again
                  Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

Originally posted by jammin777 View Post
                    hey Jman those sticks will prolly outlast you or I back in the Adrum days i would break a pair a day! I never broke one in 11 years ive played vdrums.
                    maybe just wore out the wood tips. now i have to buy toothpicks as im not making them drumming anymore.
                    btw, its nice to see the ol'e ge washer and dryer again
                    Since I'm playing the real cymbals (converted) now, I wear them down a little faster than when I was using the CY's. I wear a pair down in a few months sometimes... But, yeah, they still might outlast us both
                    I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
                    Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

I've been using Pro-Mark 808 for about 30 years now. They used to be the Billy Cobham signature sticks, and I prefer the oak. I just love the feel, moderately short and thick (like me!) with a round tip that is great for ride cymbal. I'll also use 3As or 5Bs, but the 808s are just right for me. Hickory and maple just don't feel right in my hands. Oak feels solid yet organic. Years ago they made a Golden Oak model that was darker in color with the Pro Mark bands and the printing in a lighter gold. Simply beautiful sticks, and almost indestructible.

Comment

I've used Vic Firth sticks for many years now. I am currently using the Dave Weckl Evolution model. It is similiar to a 5A. It has a nice balance to it which I find allows the stick to rebound with less effort. It looks good too!

Comment

Hoping that this is the right place to ask.
                          i am looking for the best non-slippery sticks and preferebly long (=> 16'').
                          Any recommendations ?
                          Ex E-kits:
                          ''Lernean Hydra'' ( a bounche of roland pads with a td-6 module)
                          ''Lucy'' (Diamond electronic drums with a td-12 module)
                          current E-kit
                          ''Cherry Gretschy Lady'' (Gretsch Catalina Ash 6 piece A to E kit-Roland td20 module-A to E cymbals)

A-kit
                          " Mrs.Catalina'' (Gretsch Catalina maple 6 piece kit-Paiste signature+Masterwork custom made cymbals)

check out a few videos http://www.youtube.com/user/hampisdrums

Comment

• mrfrench
                            mrfrench commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Er.... this is a drum site, mate.
                            Did you try a few, um... sites for men ?

Electronically ~~ __~~ I use rubber tip only

Comment

Working...
                          X