Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever broken a CY-6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever broken a CY-6?

Hmmmm...... much annoyance.

I picked up a used Vclub set from my "friendly" neighborhood music retailer 10 days ago. It had only been used for 3 months, and had only been sitting on the floor for a week (they said).... and it was cheap by Canadian standards (and I'm a student at the moment) so I went for it. He didn't want to give me a 30 day exchange policy at first, but I told him I wouldn't buy the kit otherwise, and he relented.

The CY6s were working fine and sounding like a great deal, when I choked one of them a few times (for the first time).... worked fine... but five minutes of playing later the cymbal stopped working.... the cymbal sounds "permanently choked" now no matter how you hit it. I tried switching it over to the other input (where the other CY6 is working fine) and same thing... so it's the cymbal's fault.

I'm about to go back to the retailer and ask him to buy this cymbal back and sell me a brand new one... but I'm just wondering... has this ever happened to anyone else before? I am not really a hard hitter (although I do play excitedly!) and I use somewhat-heavy-but-not-ridiculous sticks.....Am I the only person who has ever managed to damage a CY6?

Darren

No, it's been reported before. A search on the forum will turn up a lot of threads on the subject.

Though I must say, it seems to be something that they've since corrected, as I haven't read of anyone lately reporting problems.

I have two CY-6's that I bought used and have no problems with them, and another I bought new that also is working well.

That's not to say I didn't hold my breath the first few times I played them.

Good thinking about insisting on some type of return. Time to hold his feet to the fire.

-bruce
    eDrums: TD-12, PDX-8 , PD-8s, CY12R/C, CY-8s, CY5, KD-8, MDS-10PL rack, SPD6
    aDrums: Pearl Masters Studio (Birch) 7pc, Zildjian & Sabian Paragon Cymbals, Pearl Hardware & rack

Comment

Originally posted by boose44
      No, it's been reported before. A search on the forum will turn up a lot of threads on the subject.

-bruce
      Interesting, but what to search for? "CY6" only has three characters in it and dashes don't count.

How I despise the 4 character search minimum!

Darren

Comment

Try these:
        http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.p...highlight=cy6s

I think I might have used CY6s...

-bruce
        aDrums: Pearl Masters Studio (Birch) 7pc, Zildjian & Sabian Paragon Cymbals, Pearl Hardware & rack

Comment

I had the same problem with my original CY-6's. I returned them to Guitar Center and they gave me replacements on the spot. I now use the CY-6's as auxillary cymbals, not primaries and they work fine.
          "too loud, too late"
          My mom, circa 1974 (before v-drums)

www.redrhythm.com

Comment

Thanks Bruce. What term did you search for?

Here I was thinking the CY6 was the greatest thing since sliced bread..... but all of these people are reporting exactly the same problem I'm having.

Is it "hard hitting" that's causing the problem, I wonder? I was playing along to a Rush song for the first time (midi file with drums off, woohoo!) at the time with some Rock sticks, so some vigorous and excited hitting might have been taking place

Well, if the CY6 is going to crap out the minute I give it a good whack, then that's pretty sad. Cymbals are meant to get hit with sticks, and if they can't handle anything harder than a gentle tap, then that's a crappy design. Or perhaps this is just a "bad batch"?

Darren

Comment

I think I used CY-6's or CY-6s as the search term.

I tend to think it was a production problem, limited to like you said, a bad run.

The two I purhcased used (from a member of vdrums here, in fact) work flawlessly, as does the single CY-6 I purchased new from Sam Ash.

All total, I've only had these a month now, but they've all been working great. The pair of used CY-6's I use as crash cymbals, and the new one as a riide. I'm usually a fairly hard hitter, too, btw, but have toned it down somewhat compared to how I play on acoustics.

-bruce

Comment

Mayyyyybe???

I had a similar problem when I first got my V-Clubs. It turned out that the plug had slightly come out of the cymbal jack, and wasn't allowing full triggering. I plugged it back in and it has worked fine ever since. You may check the cymbal plug if you haven't already. Hopefully it's not more serious than that.

Good luck.

Doug
                :D I just love to play drums!!!:D

Comment

Well, I'll be darned

Originally posted by DrumnDad
                  I had a similar problem when I first got my V-Clubs. It turned out that the plug had slightly come out of the cymbal jack, and wasn't allowing full triggering. I plugged it back in and it has worked fine ever since. You may check the cymbal plug if you haven't already. Hopefully it's not more serious than that.

Good luck.

Doug
                  Well, I don't know if that was the problem or not... but after testing everything I could think of I took it back to the store for a new one... and the guy at the shop wanted to give the old one a test of course.... and it worked perfectly!!! "What the heck?" I said. So I took it back home and now it works again. Come to think of it, the cable slipping out of the jack *may* well have been the culprit. Where's that embarrassment smilie? Here it is
                  !!!

Cheers,
                  Darren

Comment

I'm having a similar problem with one of my CY-6 cymbals.
                    The part of the cymbal I use for the ride (the top) doesn't
                    work sometimes. . . although the crash (side of cymbal)
                    works fine. I tried unplugging/plugging the jack back in
                    and it works again for a little while, but then stops working.
                    I'm thinking that the input jack might be too loose for the plug but I'm not sure at this point. I'm going to open the cymbal and take a look. The problem is either in the plug/cable/jack or that
                    the top of the cymbal is "dead".
                    Important Note: It has been scientifically proven that people who substitute "you" with "u" when posting are more likely to be killed by ninjas.

Comment

I recently played a job with my td-8 using cy-6's. The set was using the standard stereo outputs to the board. I found during the course of the first set the volume my tom1 and one of the cy-6 was serverely diminished (almost none). During the break on investigation I found a bad cable on one of the stereo outputs at the snake. No other pads were effected. Between one of the songs I hit every pad and cymbal...all workd fine but the 2 mentioned. Replace the cable and the problem was gone.
                      1971 Ludwig Psychedelic Red Big Beat E-Kit

Comment

Thanks for the "plug" BOOSE44. I am glad you are happy with those two CY-6's. I am pleased with my Zenbals (even though they don't get a lot of use these days either). I do most of my playing at Church and teaching at the music store.

I am trying to master the guitar so most of my spare time is used making my "fingertips bleed". I love playing music!!!!!
                        I'm a drummer. I don't play the timpani! Hire a percussionist!!!

Comment

Originally posted by clymore
                          Thanks for the "plug" BOOSE44. I am glad you are happy with those two CY-6's...

I am trying to master the guitar so most of my spare time is used making my "fingertips bleed". I love playing music!!!!!
                          That's right! It was YOU!! If you hadn't offered them to me, I wouldn't have ended up spending all this money!

Of course, I wouldn't be having as much fun either!

Good luck on the guitar. I could never get past the sore fingertip stage.

And just to get back on topic, that's a great tip about the cabling, dspange. I have my suspicions about the quality of the jacks Roland uses on their triggers and outputs. They just feel a little cheap and flimsy compared to a metal switchcraft.

-bruce

Comment

I have a HOSA 8 way mono cable on one of my drum sets and so far two cables have gone bad. I had a cymbal quit working and then a tom. I had to run a single cable to these pads. If one or two more go bad, I might as well "kill the snake" .

The black one and the white one are the bad ones. Hmmm.....there may be more to this than I realize. All the rest of the colors are working fine.
                            I'm a drummer. I don't play the timpani! Hire a percussionist!!!

Comment

Bloody CY^'s

I also had 2 CY 6's and the exact same happened to me but luckily Roland arent some mickey mouse outfilt, they supplied me with 2 CY14's to make up for my 'utter disapointment' They broke about a month and a half into using them
                              :D Drummer Boy :D

Comment

Working...
                              X