Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

direct outs & headphone monitoring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• direct outs & headphone monitoring

First let me apologize if this issues has come up before, I couldn't find an answer when searching the archives.

Up to this point I've been using my V-session (TD-10) live running only the main stereo out put. I use the mix-in to recieve the aux send from the house board (split L&R naturally) and then monitor myself and the other performers with my in-ear monitors plugged into the headphone jack. This has worked very well and I believe is what the unit was intended for.

To give our soundman more control I have purchased a 4 channel DI box and wanted to send kick, snare and everything else L and R. To accomplish this I panned the kick L and the snare R and sent them to Direct Out 1 (as in the future I was going to use direct outs 2 and 3 for splitting the sends up further). This works great for the house sound but my headphone output now has the kick panned left and the snare right!! (rather annoying)

I looked on the block diagram included with the TDW-1 and it doesn't appear that there is any way to pan the headphone output differently but I want to ensure I'm not missing anything as the technique I am using seems to be a fairly common one.

Thanks,

Brian
    Brian

You aren't doing anything wrong. That's how it works. You might want to get the house to send you a mix, including your drums, panned in normal sounding stereo or mono. If you prefer to use the TD-10 so you can control the mix you can use a mixer, repan and use the mixer for your phones. I guess this is another feature needed on the TD-12 wishlist.

I tried making an adaptor to go from stereo phones to mono. It was just a matter of running a TRS 1/4" male into the TD-10 phones input, cutting the cord about 6" from the plug and combining the R&L wires together. See attachment. It worked, but I didn't use it for long since I went back to using the master outs.

I don't know if combining the R and L leads will cause any problems. I looked for a pre made adaptor that would do this for me but didn't see anything locally. I'm sure there must be something out there.
    Attached Files
    Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

I think you'll need some components in there to keep the L&R separate from the TD-10's standpoint. Otherwise, you're combining amplifier channels, which over time will burn something out. There should be circuits available online for building a combiner device that doesn't send signal back into the other channel, a 1 way filter basically..
      Expanded TD-10, TD-7, PTX-8, DrumKAT 3.8, 8xPD7, 5xPD9, 4xKD7, FD7, 3xPD100, 4xPD120, 4xHart Acupad TE3, 2xECymbalX, Pintech Kick, 10xLP Spike, 2xSapphire, 3xPTT8, 1xPSD8, PBD8 Kick, 2xSynare 3, 2xAcrylic Cymbals, Gibraltar/Roland racks

Comment

Working...
      X