Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Td-10 broken...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blades
    replied
    In your case, the only guess. So you win...absolutely nothin!

redbrick

Leave a comment:

• Ranman
    replied
    Originally posted by redbrick
    Total = $138.50
    Dag! I was only off by $10.49! Isn't Bob Barker's rule: "The closest guess without going over"??

Leave a comment:

• Blades
    replied
    Ok, so no one is game, eh?

Got the brain back...seems to be in fully functional order so far - actually just hooked it up a started playing with phones on, haven't done anything else yet.

My balance: $89.50

+ the bench fee of $49
    Total = $138.50

yes, I heard the "priceless" ad coming...

It took from Sept 26 til now (41 days, or 984 hours, or 59,040 minutes, or 3,542,400 seconds), but still certainly better than replacing it or having to buy the main board ($750).

Joy.

redbrick

Leave a comment:

• Shep2112
    replied
    Or the other thing is, they lost the memo and went over the $149 amount, but hopefully that's not the case.. Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• Blades
    replied
    Also,

Remeber - this thing was not under warrantee, so Roland must charge something.

redbrick

Leave a comment:

• Ranman
    replied
    You said there was a $149 cap, so I'm guessing $148.99 + tax.

Leave a comment:

• Blades
    replied
    Ok, another update. I got a call back from Norman's. The brain is back in the shop has been tested on the bench and supposedly checks out fine. He said that the software was upgraded and there were soldering things done at a deep level.

I can pick it up tomorrow.

The magic price?

Remember, $49 bench fee, plus I believe $30 for overnight shipping to Roland, shipping back from Roland I suppose Roland paid for and it was not overnight.

I'll post the final bill tomorrow...any guesses?

redbrick

Leave a comment:

• Ranman
    replied
    nhuh hgjh jgkjh jhg ...

Dad-gummit. It's just too hard to type with my fingers crossed.

Suffice to say, we're with you, bro!

Leave a comment:

• Blades
    replied
    Another update for those who care:

I talked to Norman's again last week. they talked to Roland the day before and said that Roland had fixed it and done the v-cymbal control upgrade (as I requested) and were shipping it back and that I could expect it inwhat is now "this week".

When I asked about the cost, the tech told me that Roland was to notify them if it exceeded $149, which Roland did not do, sio he's assuming it's less. Also, that is what I signed when I left the thing there - that they'd work up to $149 and then call me for approval to go further.

Looking forward to getting it back - I've got a call into them - waiting on reply.

redbrick

Leave a comment:

• Blades
    replied
    feefer: I agree...I already told the guy to go ahead and send it over to Roland. If it is 30 bucks or less, he's going to overnight it either today or Monday. He said that Roland would let him know when there will be charges incurred. Also, he said that so far, my only charge is the $49 bench fee already paid, even though he's worked on it for about 4 hours, he said that he's not gonna do that to me...though I have to wonder why I should have to pay for a diag fee where they couldn't actually diagnose the problem.

Arriguy: thanks for the info. I actually called 3 places: Wizard, Comprehensive, and Normans - all authorized...Normans was the nicest on the phone and had the lowest initial bench fee.

I don't really have any options at this point except to wait and see. And for once, I have a project...due next week. I'll figure out something.

redbrick

Leave a comment:

• Arriguy
    replied
    Redbrick,
    I may have another Atlanta repair facility for you to try. They are a Roland Certified repair facility as well and are very good. They happen to be right next door to my office off of Howell Mill / Collier Rd. We use them for electronics repair of all kinds and they seem to know what they are doing. I took a quick tour of their shop and there were Roland products there waiting for repair. I asked, and the man showing me around mentioned they were a factory authorized center. They are CTG... Comprehensive Technology Group. 2195-G Defoor Hills Rd. Atlanta. 404-352-3000.
    It's worth a shot. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• Blades
    replied
    Got a call from Norman's electronics today.

Bad news.

They can't fix it. They could replace the main board, but he said that's like $750! or they can send it to Roland, who have better testing equipment and the ability to replace inividual ICs quickly.

So...now they ship to Roland...time...Roland analyzes/fixes it...time...ship it back...time (remember it took them 1.5 weeks to get a manual from Roland)...Get unit back from Normans...

or

Roland can't fix it either. - who knows - maybe they have to replace the main board.

And then how much? Don't know, but now I'm twice removed from the source, so the guy at Norman's has to get in touch with the guy at Roland, and vice versa so that I get any info.

Now I'm pissed. Possibly $750...maybe I'll just get it back and use it to trigger samples - of course then I can't leave the house cause I'm not taking my PC to a gig (not that I ever have them anyway, I suppose).

redbrick

Leave a comment:

• GRRAVEE
    replied
    hang in there.......the drums will sound again.....

Leave a comment:

• Blades
    replied
    Here's another minor update:

Today marks 3 weeks that the brain is in the shop.

First of all, they've apparently not ever worked on a TD-10, because they had to order a service manual from Roland. It took Roland 1.5 weeks to get it to them and they had to bug them to get it (this is an authorized service center).

Second, the problem is that it is "dropping bits", possibly the A/D converter...but it is too intricate and they have to get a Roland Tech bench guy to assist them over the phone (I understand this - I'm a network technician and I call MS and Cisco all the time for help).

Still waiting. I am officially upgrading my feelings from "poo" to "crap".

redbrick

Leave a comment:

• Blades
    replied
    Minor update.

I called Norman's Electronics on Clairmont Rd here in Atlanta, who have the td-10. It occurred to me that, since I have it in the shop, I should ask about anthing else I want doned.

I have the tdw-1 and I asked if they could do the +vcymbal control upgrade to it. The guy spoke to their tech and said that he could while he was doing the other part - no problem.

I also asked when they think they would be getting to it (it's been 1 week) and he said that the tech asked him to go ahead and bring the paperwork back on it, so he thought that meant that he'd be getting to it right away.

Fingers Crossed that I get it back soon and cheap.

redbrick

Leave a comment:

Working...
X