Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Td-10 broken...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Td-10 broken...

Hey all...commisserate (sp?) with me....

My td-10 is on the fritz. It still works fine for all midi functions and navigation of the system, but the sound that is produced by it, regardless of whether it is triggered via the pads, the "test sound" button on the unit, the internal sequencer, or the external sequencer, and regardless of which output is used, including the headphone output - is basically static...but differnt static based on which sould is played - I can changed kicks for example and the static changes character, but that's about it.

So, I've left a message with Wizard Electronics here in Atlanta, who is an authorized Roland service center and generally has a pretty good reputation as the "place to take electronic stuff".

I hope it's fixable...sounds like an output chip croaked.

I'll write back more later today when I find out what's wrong and how much it's gonna cost....3 years and this is my first problem with it, which I guess is good, but it still makes me sad.

Incidentally, the last time I used it, it was fine...it was turned off, but still plugged in, and then I turned it on yesterday, and it didn't work anymore - and it's in prestine condition because it never leaves the house anymore.

redbrick
    My Updated Website: https://blades.technology

Does the TD10 have a 'software reset' or 'reset to factory settings' switch? You might try this... just a shot in the dark, but it could possibly save a repair bill. The repair will, no doubt, reset everything anyway, so there's really nothing to lose.
    My website...
    VCustom kit,
    TD8 + Aphex Impulse,
    HDI Cymbals.
    A great site: eDrumming.com

Comment

man,sorry to hear that.......my gut says it's a minor fix though.however i wish you a truckload of luck just in case.
      -i can levitate birds and no one cares-----------V-CONCERT,CY12H-CY15R/SPD-20-XP-60 V-STUDIO 1824CD,DAUZ PADS,NO RYTHYM AND MISC.CRAP 9"HART SPLASH/AKAI S5000/ASSLOAD OF SAMPLES

Comment

I backed up all my settings (at least the kits...settings wouldn't transfer) to the PC using vkittrans (+tdw1) and did a system init. the names of all the kits went to gibberish, and I obviously can't tell what the settings went to since I can't hear the sounds, but I am able to load my stuff back in there and it appears to be right.

Nonetheless, the system reset did not fix the audio issue, but thanks for the though.

I do have to believe that there is just an output circuit shot, which seems like it'd be easy/cheap, but you know they are all surcface mounted chips, so it will probably be a replacement of whatver board that is on...there aren't many seperate boards in there, so I just hope it's not on the main one.

redbrick

Comment

My td-10 is, to my best recollection, about 3.5 years old and is certainly beyond 2 years, so I'm afraid that the warrantee is up on this thing.

You're right about the triggering external sounds thing - definitely still will work for that, but that's not really what I want. I ahppen to like the td-10 for all it's flaws for the most part. I've gotten down how to record and mix them, gotten used to the hi=hat, etc...

But, cost will definitely be a factor. they may make it such that it'd be dumb not to fix because you could NOT replace its function for the amount (like $300)...

much more than that and it starts to get smarter to replace it with something else that will do what I want...hi-hat seems to be the biggest issue...or tracking if I went with a ddrum brain - though I couldn't get one of those any cheaper than a new td-10 (I'm pretty sure the tdw-1 is ok). I have the computer and primarily use them at home, but I don't wnat to have to use that if I need to play out with them...which isn't often, but does happen occasionally.

damn it.

redbrick

Comment

Here's an unfortunate update:

$49 bench fee at the company I'm taking it to (not wizard...they were just rude - can't tell you anything on the phone...$65 bench fee...not even a guess of $10 or $1000).

They are backed up more than two weeks before it can be looked at (all service centers have the same backup). If it is the main board, that's a $200 part + 1 hour labor, plus their troubleshooting time.

Good thing I don't do this for a living! Of course I could get a "rush" on it ( at wizard that means they may see it in 3 days), which at the company I chose, it $50 extra, does not apply to the final cost, and will get it on the tech bench immediately...but I can't really justify that expense, since I don't use them THAT much.

Damn it again

redbrick
            who is dropping the thing off in about an hour, not paying the rush fee, and hoping for the best.

Comment

Right...I'm a PC/network tech by day and it frustrates the hell out of me that I can't just "fix" this thing...gimme a PC and I can at least tell you what to replace, install, reconfigure, etc...even on large LANs and such...but I'm not an EET and I don't have access to Roland part supplies.

Ten to fourteen days.

poo.

redbrick

Comment

Originally posted by redbrick
                poo.
                Hey! Watch yer language! There are drummers here!
                My website...
                VCustom kit,
                TD8 + Aphex Impulse,
                HDI Cymbals.
                A great site: eDrumming.com

Comment

Hi Redbrick

That bites, man. Especially since you have been such a good caregiver. Kids these days. Hope it's something simple.
                  Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

Hey why do you find it so difficult to Roland parts, Here in the UK I have never had to wait for more than 2 days to get parts and that was for my D70 which is 12 years old, Parts for the TD10 should be no problem. Just give Rolands service department a call, I have asked them how long it would take to update my TDW-1 to include the V-Cym and the chap said that it would be turned arround the same day they recieve it.
                    Gavin
                    TD10 exp, BBE and the rest of the toys

Comment

Cool, Gavin,

But I have no idea what is wrong with it and therefore no clue what part to replace. I'm letting the auth service center take care of it...I don't want to cause MORE expenses trying to fix stuff I have no business messing with.

This is what I tell users that I have to support with their PCs and LAN equipment - please don't mess with it...call me - I'll fix it for you. I only wish they all had the self-control I do!

redbrick

Comment

good luck red,remember to let us know how it turns out
                        -i can levitate birds and no one cares-----------V-CONCERT,CY12H-CY15R/SPD-20-XP-60 V-STUDIO 1824CD,DAUZ PADS,NO RYTHYM AND MISC.CRAP 9"HART SPLASH/AKAI S5000/ASSLOAD OF SAMPLES

Comment

Minor update.

I called Norman's Electronics on Clairmont Rd here in Atlanta, who have the td-10. It occurred to me that, since I have it in the shop, I should ask about anthing else I want doned.

I have the tdw-1 and I asked if they could do the +vcymbal control upgrade to it. The guy spoke to their tech and said that he could while he was doing the other part - no problem.

I also asked when they think they would be getting to it (it's been 1 week) and he said that the tech asked him to go ahead and bring the paperwork back on it, so he thought that meant that he'd be getting to it right away.

Fingers Crossed that I get it back soon and cheap.

redbrick

Comment

Here's another minor update:

Today marks 3 weeks that the brain is in the shop.

First of all, they've apparently not ever worked on a TD-10, because they had to order a service manual from Roland. It took Roland 1.5 weeks to get it to them and they had to bug them to get it (this is an authorized service center).

Second, the problem is that it is "dropping bits", possibly the A/D converter...but it is too intricate and they have to get a Roland Tech bench guy to assist them over the phone (I understand this - I'm a network technician and I call MS and Cisco all the time for help).

Still waiting. I am officially upgrading my feelings from "poo" to "crap".

redbrick

Comment

hang in there.......the drums will sound again.....

Comment

Working...
                              X