Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

edrum amp recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• edrum amp recommendations?

I have a hybrid set. The electronic part is a TD8 with 2 PD6s, 2 PD9s and a couple of home made triggers. I use them to suppliment my acoustic set by programming in bongos, congos, woodblocks, timbales, etc. Right now I am using a Peavy BackStage amp. It's not up to the challenge. It seems to distort rather easily. This set up is purely for my enjoyment. My hobby. I have no plans to do anything like paid gigs but I want a good sound. What is a good but resonably priced amplifier to use for this sort of application?

Take advantage of vdrums.com's most xlnt search engine and use keywords "JBL" or "Mackie".

Comment

searching

I tried the search Marc suggested...... The search engine tells me the term JBL is too short..... anyone had this problem?

What am I doing wrong??
      1971 Ludwig Psychedelic Red Big Beat E-Kit

Comment

If you are only interested in percussion instruments and don't need/want something to take care of toms and kick, I don't think you need a JBL G2 or a Mackie 450. They are more expensive and actually don't do as good a job as a keyboard amp.

I own both the JBL as well as a Peavey KB/A keyboard amp. I also have a Mackie powered subwoofer for the bottom end.

The Peavey is just brilliant on the mids and highs - MUCH better than the JBL. The JBL and Mackie speakers use a horn tweeter, while the Peavey uses a larger traditional tweeter. It has a 15" woofer, which works truly great for all toms, but really doesn't have good bottom end at all, hence the need for the subwoofer.

I can tell you, and everybody here at the forum, from my experience with all these speakers, the combination of the Mackie subwoofer and the Peavey keyboard amp are by far the the most accurate and powerful set up I have ever heard. ( apart from a huge P.A. system).

If you own the Peavey, and want to go full electronic, you need only supplement with the subwoofer.

All that said, the JBL G2 or the Mackie 450 are more versatile as a single speaker.

I found one can acquire a used Peavey on e-bay for $200.00. New, they run about $350.00.
        Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

I use a Peavey KB-100. Its great as both a monitor for live play and as a primary during rehersal.

I agree the high makes the cymbals and snare very crisp sounding.
          1971 Ludwig Psychedelic Red Big Beat E-Kit

Comment

The SRM450 sounds great on the high frequencies IMO. I would even say it sounds better than most home stereos.
            Roland TD-20 v1.08, various v-drums and v-cymbals, Yamaha KP65's, Axis pedals, Gibraltar hardware, Mackie 1202/SRM450 (pre-china)

Comment

Hi dspange

Try the KB/A100 with the subwoofer if you can. You will go nuts. The bottom is huge, and the crossover in the sub means the 15" woofer in the keyboard amp doesn't have to try to do something it really isn't designed for.

I actually went out and got two KB/A's, so I am in stereo! Also, after blowing out a tweeter in my JBL G2, I want to protect the tweeters in the KB/A's.

I don't use the JBL for the drums anymore - just a very expensive P.A. monitor now.

Hi Ufotofu

you are right, the Mackie 450 has much better highs than the JBL. Try the KB/A in a store sometime for the Vdrums and let us know what you think. - I think you will be surprised.

Two KB/A's is less than one Mackie 450!

All this is academic if we're only talking about a personal monitor, but I just use the above set up for front of house too.

Folks, check it out!

Comment

Gingerbaker,
                Thanks for the tips. Is there some sort of crossover network you use with your KB 100 and the subwoofer to filter out the unwanted frequencies from each system or is that necessary

Comment

You output signal ( from your module or mixer, or effects unit) goes to the subwoofer.

The powered subwoofer has a built-in crossover which you can use to eliminate the lowest frequencies going to the KB/A, or whatever speakers you are using.

You also have the option of sending the full frequency spectrum out to the other speaker if you wish, although that doesn't make much sense in this situation.

Comment

Uh, I've had the exact OPPOSITE experience with the Peavey keyboard amps. I find the high-mids to be extremely "honk-y" and cheesy sounding, which is why I bought an SRM450. I now use the Peavey as a "subwoofer", since it has a nice big 15" woofer, but I turn the highs down to nothing. The Mackie is a beautiful-sounding (and compact) rig, and I only drag the Peavey along when I need some extra "oomph" in the bottom end.

As always, YMMV...
                    Winchester, VA
                    TD-20, ddrum3, drumKat

Comment

Working...
                    X