Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Td-8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Td-8

Hi,

I played on a TD-8KV in my local drum store, and wondered if you could help me with a few questions. Do the pads or does the brain allow it to have positional sensing, for example, on a real drum, each different area you hit gives a slightly different sound, say if you were hitting the snare, in the middle the sound would be more defined, but as you move out to the edge it becomes less defined, and begins to sound a bit more like 'snares off'. Also, do the cymbals vary as to whether you hit the edge, the bell the middle etc. Finally, on one of the yamaha kits, you can assign 5 different sounds to each pad, according to how hard you hit them, can this be done?

Joel

Re: Td-8

Originally posted by foneafriend
    Do the pads or does the brain allow it to have positional sensing?
    With the TD8 this is only possible with the snare channel. This is actually a co-effort between the module (TD8) and the pad. The PD80R is equipped to provide positional sensing to the module. The TD8 is programmed to work with that information - but only in channel 3 (the 'snare' channel). Note: it is NOT limited to 'snare' sounds, but IS limited to the channel that you typically use for the snare, and the pad that is typically played as the snare.
    Also, do the cymbals vary as to whether you hit the edge, the bell the middle etc.?
    With certain cymbal triggers this is possible. With the PD7's & PD9's you get only the pad and the rim as triggers (i.e.: two trigers per pad) and you can assign anything you want to each trigger. For example, on my 'ride' PD7 I have a ride cymbal assigned to the pad and a 'bell' assigned to the rim. Each of my 'crash' PD7s have two crash cymbals defined, one for the pad and another for the rim. With some of the newer triggers (CY??) you can get as many as three zones; typically the bell, bow and edge. To use one of these with the TD8 I believe you need to plug two zones into one channel and the third zone into a separate channel. The expanded TD10 handles these puppies without modification.
    On one of the yamaha kits, you can assign 5 different sounds to each pad, according to how hard you hit them, can this be done?
    I haven't looked into that with my kit... but I suspect that it is not available. When I played a yamaha kit I found it annoying to get different sounds based upon how hard I played - at times I get a little aggressive and then get sounds I hadn't intended (eg: I wanted a bell, but hit too hard and got a crash). Your results may vary. Void where prohibited, etc.
    My website...
    VCustom kit,
    TD8 + Aphex Impulse,
    HDI Cymbals.
    A great site: eDrumming.com

Comment

Re: Re: Td-8

Originally posted by Harlock
      ...well this being my 999th post, and as I've said, unless this board rewards all 1000posters with a 'zildjian mousepad' (or Roland ), this will be my last post as Captain of the Arcadia.

The Captain wishes you all farewell

thank you
      Deja vu !

Will someone give this guy a mousepad, please!?

Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

in the shop, the sound didnt really change on the snare, just got quiter as you got closer to the edge?????

Comment

Hmmm...it should've changed in 'quality' as well, in that as you played closer to the edge the sound should have been 'thinner'. Note that this is not the same as turning the snares 'off' (I've never experienced that with a 'real' snare).
          My website...
          VCustom kit,
          TD8 + Aphex Impulse,
          HDI Cymbals.

Comment

Originally posted by foneafriend
            in the shop, the sound didnt really change on the snare, just got quiter as you got closer to the edge?????
            It could be that the sound you tried it on was not a v-snare sound. On the TD8, there are two groups of snare sounds: v-snare and snare. Only the first can be used with positional sensing.

Comment

whats the difference between a v-snare and a snare, apart frm positional sensing?

Comment

A non v-sound is simply a sample. All you can edit is pitch and decay.

A v-sound can be edited in several other ways, such as the type of head, the depth of the tom, the strainer settings and the type of muffling.

I took my manual out... and stand (slightly) corrected. Not ALL of the v-snare sounds support positional sensing, but most do...

Comment

I don't own a TD-8, but on the TD-10, V-Snare's can be V-edited using COSM modeling (change the head type, muffling, depth, material, etc.) The regular snares just have "decay" and "pitch" I think.
                  kit pr0n.

Comment

Same with the TD8.
                    My website...
                    VCustom kit,
                    TD8 + Aphex Impulse,
                    HDI Cymbals.

Comment

Let's back up to this post...

Originally posted by Harlock
                      ...on one of the yamaha kits, you can assign 5 different sounds to each pad, according to how hard you hit them, can this be done?

...there are 9 ride sounds that enable you to do so, & that's all. no hand picking the sounds...

I'm not following this. Can you elaborate? Or is the TD-10EX excluded from this feature?

(If you can't answer could you get your cousin Albator to respond?)
                      Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by Albator
                        The TD-8 had 9 ride 'instruments' that have what Roland calls "crass-faded" type of sounds.
                        They have the RDX suffix to them.
                        With these sounds, bell & edge sounds are velocity controlled.

that's about it.

I think the TD-6 has more of these type of sounds for the snare.
                        I use the Rdx almost exclusively for my bell sounds. I keep the sensitivity up which allows you to really control the transition from edge to bell. I thought you were headed somewhere else with it.

thanx

Comment

Originally posted by Albator
                          I think the TD-6 has more of these type of sounds for the snare.
                          Yeah, the TD-6 has 6 cross-velocity samples of these for the snare, and 9 of them marked as "Bow/Bell" for ride sounds.

I like the rides, but the snares seems to require a deft touch.

-bruce
                          eDrums: TD-12, PDX-8 , PD-8s, CY12R/C, CY-8s, CY5, KD-8, MDS-10PL rack, SPD6
                          aDrums: Pearl Masters Studio (Birch) 7pc, Zildjian & Sabian Paragon Cymbals, Pearl Hardware & rack

Comment

Working...
                          X