Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

This forum is for product advice & discussion only! Do not ask technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

PD-125 -- Snare stand or rack mount?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PD-125 -- Snare stand or rack mount?

Hey guys, another minor question (sorry for making a new thread for it):

My kit is coming with a PD-125 for the snare, and the website recommends (in tiny print) that, while the PD-125 can be rack mounted, for stability and safety (?), you should use a snare stand.

Just wondering what you guys use, and if I need to go through the hassle of buying a new snare stand for it? If so, is buying a good quality stand going to make the slightest bit of difference? I'm sure I can find one used if I wait long enough.

Anyway, what do you think?
    My first V-Drum kit: [url]http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/1358/img0554c.jpg[/url]

TD-9, MDS-9, PD-125, KD-85, PD-85 (x3), CY-12R/C (x2)

A stand gives you better stability, which in turn should equal better triggering, but it also gives you more options for positioning of the snare.
    I do use a stand, a Mapex one, and so long as what you buy will go small enough, down to 10" in the cradle, you will be fine. No need to spend fortunes, a good used one will be fine of course.
    I think it's a good option ultimately.
    [center][COLOR="#0000FF"]I have sold every last bit of my E KIt, even cables! Odery Eyedentity LA Rock sizes in Mappa Burl, Paiste Alpha Boomers, 14 Hats, 16 and 18 Crashes, 22 ride (it's a beast!) Mapex Hardware, Axis Double Pedal[/COLOR][/center]

Comment

I agree with Kev... you want a snare stand. If you have it attached to the rack it can get very bouncy and shaky.
      [CENTER][COLOR="#0000FF"]There are 3 types of drummers in the world - those who can count, and those who can't[/COLOR]
      [COLOR="#00FF00"]OFFICIAL CAMPAIGN FOR ANIMATED AVATARS FOR ALL[/COLOR]
      TD-12, VH-11, 2x PD80 (dual trigger), 2x PD85, 1x PD-125, 2x CY14, 2x CY15, PM3.[/CENTER]

Comment

That's 3 agreements in a row for the snare stand - seeing you whack the snare so much I think a dedicated stand gives you that bit more isolation from the rest of the kit.

A small snare stand should be about the same price as a bracket too so you may not be out of pocket.

Comment

both my td 20 kit and diy kit have rack mounted snares. no problems
          sorry it couldnt be 4 in a row.
          Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

Originally posted by richinjapan View Post
            Hey guys, another minor question (sorry for making a new thread for it):

My kit is coming with a PD-125 for the snare, and the website recommends (in tiny print) that, while the PD-125 can be rack mounted, for stability and safety (?), you should use a snare stand.

Just wondering what you guys use, and if I need to go through the hassle of buying a new snare stand for it? If so, is buying a good quality stand going to make the slightest bit of difference? I'm sure I can find one used if I wait long enough.

Anyway, what do you think?
            Hi Mate. I got a 125 for the snare and fitted it to the rack. After playing for about 5 mins I went on-line and ordered a snare stand.

Comment

Originally posted by John.b View Post
              Hi Mate. I got a 125 for the snare and fitted it to the rack. After playing for about 5 mins I went on-line and ordered a snare stand.
              Thanks for the input, all. John, I'm curious -- what rack are you using? I'm kinda limited on funds, and since the MDS-9 has a dedicated snare arm, I thought it'd be nice use it. But if you were so unsatisfied and were using something like the MDS-9, then I'd lean much more towards the stand.
              My first V-Drum kit: [url]http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/1358/img0554c.jpg[/url]

TD-9, MDS-9, PD-125, KD-85, PD-85 (x3), CY-12R/C (x2)

Comment

Gotta go with the stand as well. A stand will also reduce cross-talk issues.
                TD-12; TD-6V; FD-8; Hart Pro Toms, Snare, Bass; ECII hihat, crashes, splash & ride; Smartrigger crashes & china; Hart Hammer Pad; Pintech Dingbat; Iron Cobra double-bass.

"I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

i have it mounted on the rack
                  it shakes a lil bit but its not a big deal for me
                  if you are playing soft stuff you need a snr stand but if you are playing metal or smt, the rack is fine.
                  you also save space with the rack mount

Comment

I am another stand fan. Solid and easier to position.
                    [URL="http://www.michaelrender.com"][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/URL]

Comment

I tried mine on the rack but I couldn't get the plastic Roland brackets tight enough to support it as it's fairly heavy.

It bounced like crazy and kept slipping down so it's on a Pearl stand now and no problems and much more adjustable.

Comment

I mount it on the rack. But Fat Rich is right. The Roland plastic clamp couldn't hold it tight. So I ended up getting a used Gilbraltar metal clamp for $5. Works fine for me.
                        My [URL="http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=381522#post381522"]compact kit[/URL].
                        [COLOR="PaleGreen"][SIZE="1"]
                        "Praise Him with [B]PD-125[/B] on [B]TD-10exp[/B]... praise Him with the clash of [B]CY-8[/B], praise Him with resounding [B]CY-15R[/B]." [URL="http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=psalm%20150;&version=31;"]Psalm 150[/URL][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by richinjapan View Post
                          Thanks for the input, all. John, I'm curious -- what rack are you using? I'm kinda limited on funds, and since the MDS-9 has a dedicated snare arm, I thought it'd be nice use it. But if you were so unsatisfied and were using something like the MDS-9, then I'd lean much more towards the stand.
                          Im using the MDS6 which came with my TD6V. Im not saying the rack clamps would have broke down. It just did'nt feel right and I did'nt want to take the chance of it all collapsing.

Remember, if you buy a stand, make sure it adjusts down to 12 inch and if your using two linked kick pedals, or are likely too, you best get a stand that has a cantilevered snare holder.

Comment

Is this a stand-off?
                            [COLOR="Red"]Beater-tester[/COLOR]. [URL="http://www.digitaldrummermag.com"]digitalDrummer[/URL]
                            [URL="http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?66399-digitalDrummer-review-index"]Review index[/URL]

Comment

* groans and slaps forehead *

Originally posted by allanjohn View Post
                              Is this a stand-off?
                              Yamaha DTX502 module, 3 Pintech 10 inch Concertcast Dual Zone pads, Pintech PC10, PCY100 and PCY135.on a Roland MDS-7 rack.

Comment

Working...
                              X