Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Zoom H2 Digital Recorder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zoom H2 Digital Recorder

Hi Everybody,
    Has anyone else tried the Zoom H2 Recorder?
    I received one as a gift in Dec. '07.
    Works great for recording our live gigs. I've used it with my V-Drums as well as with my Pearl acoustic kit.
    It has been a great learning tool for me. You'd be amazed at the changes I have made in my playing of certain songs on our set list from the use of the H2.
    The quality is really good.
    Check one out, you'll be pleasantly surprised. Also, I've noticed they are selling for $20 less than in Dec. '07!
    -Buddy
    V-Pro, TD-10 Expanded (and heavily tweaked), Smartrigger Crashes, Smartrigger Ride, CY-5 Hi-Hat Cym., KD-8 Kick Trigger, DW 7000 Bass Pedal, Two:Boss FS-5U, Roland KC-500 & Peavey KB 300 Amp (Used for Stage Monitoring), Pintech Nimrod, Phillips SBC HP 550 H-phones, Slingerland & Pearl acoustics, Zildjian & Sabian cymbals, Winkler's Percussion Custom Chimes (37 Bars). BBE 482i Sonic Maximizer, Peavey PV14 Mixer, CAD Premium 7 Drum Mic Pack.

Ditto to that. I have one and have found a great many uses for it. For $200 ($180 now?) it is an outstanding peice of gear.
    Id rather be told the ugly truth than handed a pretty lie.

Comment

I have wanted one for some time now. I tried to use a borrowed H4 and could not finger it out. Too many bells and whistles I don't need, but the H2 seems PERFECT for my needs.

My tax return is likely going to be about an H2's worth shy this year.

Comment

Yep, the H2 is an awesome tool. I use mine constantly - I record every gig I play and just about every practice session. I bring it to my day job and listen, to find out where I need to improve (I'm at work and looking at it right now). I also use it to record my students. Every so often, I use Audacity to cut clips from the recordings to share with the band or family, or give a cut to my students for practice or info.

I'm thinking of picking up the new H4n when it comes out. That bad boy looks like a nearly perfect field recorder.

Comment

I love mine as well. I also record every show and most practices. I have a gig tonight where I'll definitely be using it. I got mine new on Ebay for about $150 shipped.
          DIY converted Ludwig Epic acoustic to E-Kit
          Surge, Yamaha, Roland, and AtoE cymbals

Roland TD-10 module
          Superior Drummer/Addictive Drums combo

Comment

Dang. Wish list just got a little longer.

Thanks, guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Colquhoun View Post
              Dang. Wish list just got a little longer.

Thanks, guys.

LOL

God cured my GAS!! Seriously!

Comment

This post's timing is perfect. I am on the hunt for a hand held digital recorder and the H2 is in my sights.

How well does the AGC (Auto Gain Control) work with regards to taming volume and getting distortion free recordings?

With regards to the mics, do the recordings sound faithful to the original or close to the original sound source?

Are the SD cards big enough to record an hour of music at the higher bit rate?

Comment

Our keyboardist bought one H2 and we used it for recodring the voice arrangements. It does sounds great. We are going to use it for the first time tonight to record our rehearsal. I'll give you my feedback.

------------------------------------------------
                  Roland TD6-KW+VEX's

Comment

I have an H4 and I love it. I use it quite often.

http://tinyurl.com/My-E-kit

Comment

Originally posted by Junius View Post
                      This post's timing is perfect. I am on the hunt for a hand held digital recorder and the H2 is in my sights.

How well does the AGC (Auto Gain Control) work with regards to taming volume and getting distortion free recordings?

With regards to the mics, do the recordings sound faithful to the original or close to the original sound source?

Are the SD cards big enough to record an hour of music at the higher bit rate?
                      The AGC and other filters and functions perform reasonably well - of course not as well as higher-end equipement.

The mics are very good, and the surround function provides exceptional presence and stereo separation.

I have a 4 gig SD card in mine, which will hold 6+ hours of material when recording WAV files at 44.1 kHz and 16-bits. (lots of other options, both higher and lower fidelity).

As for "hand held" use, be advised that the plastic housing transmits lots of sound to the mics, so you would do best to use the little tripod that comes with the unit, or put it on a mic stand.

Finally, remember that every fine feature of this device has to be followed by the phrase "for the price". It's a great little unit, but don't expect it to perform like a $2,000 device.

Comment

As promised here are my impressions.

It was our first time rehearsig at a studio, since previously we haave always done it at my house with my e-kit. The guys were totally blown by the tremendous sound of the A's and they complained all night that they could not hear each other only the drums. nevertheless we recorded the full songs. To their amazement the little H" balanced the volume and though drums stand over the rest of instruments, they all could be hear very well. We used the tripod, and the device captured very little noise. We were all happy with it. I guess that for practical fast recording the H" does the job. The SD storage comes in handy for sharing and portability.

------------------------------------------------
                        Roland TD6-KW+VEX's

Comment

Which mic gain setting are best for recording a rehearsal ... moderate volume amplified band with vocals?

Do you use the internal compressor, low cut, or auto gain functions during your rehearsal recordings?

I did a quick recording using a guitar on the medium and high mic gain settings. I am getting a lot of low end. The low mic gain settings must be meant for recording a loud performance.

Comment

Can you record Vdrums straight into this unit?
                            MAPEX Black Forest Cherry DIY with TD20 module combined with TD3... (with room to expand!)
                            1 Hart Ride, 4 Pintech 14" Crash Cymbals, Pintech China, 10" Pintech Splash, Roland Hi Hats, JBL Eon G2 Powered Speaker, Iron Cobra Powerglide Double Pedal, V-Expression's kits and not enough TIME in the day to play!!! :eek:

Comment

Originally posted by drummer4life View Post
                              Can you record Vdrums straight into this unit?
                              Absolutely! I routinely take the headphone out from my digital recorder into the Line In on my H2 to facilitate moving the recording to my computer, so I'm sure you could do the same with the headphone feed from your module. You can monitor by plugging your headphones into the headphone jack on the H2.

Comment

Working...
                              X