Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Bass drum beater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass drum beater

Hi All

I have Iron Cobras, and I never read manuals.
    anyways just found out that you should use plastic or wood beater head with the KD-85/

Iron cobras dont have this feature. do any of you guys use normal beater felt....... ore do you stick to a different pedal.

What would happen if I use the beater for a long period.

Cheers

J
    sigpic

Roland TD12KV - Vex Master Pics
    Incl-PD125 snare
    M-Audio Pro Firewire 610
    Apple Macbook Pro - Logic Studio

Kit Pics
    http://s410.photobucket.com/albums/p...6122008076.jpg

felt eats away at the mesh and before too long you have a hole in the drum and a ruined trigger....get a drum patch and cover the target area....and RTM!
    TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
    ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
    not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Originally posted by Jakes242 View Post
      Hi All

I have Iron Cobras, and I never read manuals.
      anyways just found out that you should use plastic or wood beater head with the KD-85/

Iron cobras dont have this feature. do any of you guys use normal beater felt....... ore do you stick to a different pedal.

What would happen if I use the beater for a long period.

Cheers

J
      This is one of the oft asked questions. Saku pretty much summed up the consensus. However, you can change out your beater. Tama offers rubber and wood replacement beaters you can buy to replace your felt if you want to. I know this is an American supplier, but I'm sure someone out there in the EU carries them.

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfri...ter?sku=440105
      TD-12; TD-6V; FD-8; Hart Pro Toms, Snare, Bass; ECII hihat, crashes, splash & ride; Smartrigger crashes & china; Hart Hammer Pad; Pintech Dingbat; Iron Cobra double-bass.

"I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

excellent many thanks, ill get the rubber beater somehow
        sigpic

Incl-PD125 snare
        M-Audio Pro Firewire 610

Kit Pics

Comment

what would you go for wood or rubber
          sigpic

Incl-PD125 snare
          M-Audio Pro Firewire 610

Kit Pics

Comment

That's personal. I use a rubber beater from DW and i find it less bouncy/irritating than the hard wooden one i have, but hey.. it's still personal opinion. Don't shoot me
            TD-20 brain, TDW-20 expanded! MDS-20BK, 3x PD125, 2x PD105, 3x CY-14C, CY-15R, CY-12R/C, Hart ECII-10B, VH-11, KD-120, Tama IronCobra Rolling Glides and pearl hardware.
            Loving it every second..

Comment

I don't use either. I still use the felts on my Iron Cobra, but with a patch like Saku. If I was to change out the beaters, I don't know honestly. The wood one might be too bouncy and the rubber one might leave marks on the white mesh head. While marks might not be a big deal, it would still annoy me. I would like to see them come out with a plastic. On my old single kick I used a plastic beater...I really liked it.
              TD-12; TD-6V; FD-8; Hart Pro Toms, Snare, Bass; ECII hihat, crashes, splash & ride; Smartrigger crashes & china; Hart Hammer Pad; Pintech Dingbat; Iron Cobra double-bass.

"I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

i've used rubber beaters on my cobras for years.
                Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

my KD-85 came with one beater. I ordered another KDB-120 for a double pedal.

Comment

Hi

Just bought a Tama Double bass glide and didnt realize this issue.

What did you mean by placing a patch?

Can someone please attach a picture as I would like to copy this.

Thanks

Jay

Comment

Originally posted by jepong View Post
                      What did you mean by placing a patch?

Can someone please attach a picture as I would like to copy this.
                      Bass Drum Patches at MusiciansFriend.com

Bruce

Comment

scratch that ... i already bought the patch

what a newbie

Comment

stupid thing to ask maybe, but I guess playing with a felt beater is no problem as long as one uses a patch on the meshhead, right?

I have a pair of Yamaha pedals and it doesn't seem straightforward to find another pair of beaters to put on those. I dont want to try ones from other brands because maybe they dont fit on the Yamaha pedal.

Comment

[QUOTE=ir_fuel;435865]stupid thing to ask maybe, but I guess playing with a felt beater is no problem as long as one uses a patch on the meshhead, right?

QUOTE]

Correct. Just use the patch and all will be well.
                            8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
                            http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

I had to swap to a KDB-120 on my DW5000 and noticed little difference after adjusting it, but is did change the angle of attack (when it hits) cause it was a little bit smaller, my foot has not complained about the extra 1/4" of travel yet

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X