Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Less Is Indeed More! - My First Impressions of the TD-9KX.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Less Is Indeed More! - My First Impressions of the TD-9KX.

Sorry, this is a long post, but please hang with me for a moment.

Life certainly has some funny twists turns. For the last three months myself and my family seem to be suffering.
    Three of us have been in hospital for unexpected but major issues, with one of us sadly now seeing a ticking
    clock on the life line.

However, I always try to look for a positive and from all this, something is stirring and gathering pace ...fast!

First off, there is my full rebirth in drumming after 24 years, although there had been two false starts. The Yamaha DTXpress
    kit 10 now years ago already, which failed miserably to excite me but did put me in a place to enable me to play onstage
    with Roger Hodgson.

Fast forward to two years ago, when having been asked about adding some drums to a demo, I finally came to the Vdrums.

This did excite, stimulate and certainly gave me GAS, but it was not enough to drag me away from being a workaholic
    and those demos have yet to be recorded.

Given the recently problems, a lot of inner searching and looking at who I was and where I came from, has
    resulted in me picking up the sticks and having played almost daily for a few hours since the turn of the year.

Oddly, another here, Drumslinger50 summed it all up for me on another thread of mine when he said...and I quote

"Drumming always defined who I was when I was young and it's good to be back in touch with my true self."

He was bang on the money, nailed it completely and then, just when I least expected, strange and positive
    things have started to happen.

First off, in passing, I was asked if I would like to be involved in a new drum store that was being looked into?
    How odd - I most certainly didn't see that one coming! (more on this another day.)

As a result, I have the opportunity to try out a TD-9KX kit, so I have now have two Vdrum kits to play around with,
    for a short time at least.

TD-9KX - My first Impressions.
    Before I even clapped eyes on the TD-9KX, unfairly my mindset was that it wouldn't be a patch on my custom TD-10 TW1 kit.

Now it may be the middle of the night and I may just be rambling, but after just a few hours playing with the TD9,
    tweaking it and exploring some of the new options, I think I am falling for the TD9!

It's a great kit and I am starting to think, do I sell the TD-10 and keep the TD9? Didn't see that one coming either!

While I am most certainly not in many of your league's of knowledge on the Vdrum, right now, all I seem to see are
    plus points on 'down sizing and down grading' to the TD9.

Let me run a few things passed you.
    First up, for one who is trying to return and improve, there is the Rhythm Scope, a great way to check each beat
    and lock yourself in.

Then there is the quick record, not self indulgent, it actually really helps to play something right back to see if what
    sounded great in your head, actually does hit the mark!

The onboard tracks with real samples are a huge improvement on what at times, reminded me of a Bontempi organ
    backing track on the TD-10.

Then there is the numbers game.
    Without using splitters, on the standard TD9KX package, you are looking at 8 pads, 17 sounds. Add the two extra
    optional pads and you are up to a thumping 21 sounds. My TD10 custom kit has 12 pads while totalling just 19 sounds.

The TD10 TW1 does have some of the best cymbal sounds out of all the Modules as I understand it, but so far,
    I have nothing to complain about having built my first 'custom' kit within the TD9, although this could be down to it
    having Hodge Podge from V Expressions (although I need to confirm that.)

Dynamic response also appears to have come a long way, although perhaps I could perhaps be guilty of not having
    got the best out of the TD10 TW1 in this area?

Space wise it's a more compact kit, but with bigger sounds!
    The module is also very compact compared to the TD10, (not to mention light!) while the rack is very nice too, far
    better than the MDS-3 I have used to cram my TD10 kit onto.

To be fair, I have only spent a few hours with the TD9 tonight, but right now, with much still to explore and compare,
    I do wonder if less is more here and that the TD9KX could win by a country mile?!

It's 4.15am now and the brain is fading more than normal, so I must have missed something that the TD10 TW1
    offers that the TD9 does not, but right now, I cannot think what (please feel free to remind me!)

Having not been able to try a TD12 or 20 (yet!), I am sure the TD9 falls a long way short in some areas, but I for
    one am very very impressed with it.

So the question now is...do I let my beloved Custom TD10 kit go...
    Last edited by Cuban; 01-21-09, 10:45 PM.

Cuban,

On a scale of 0 to 10, how will you rate TD-10 w/ TDW-1 and TD-9, just the module?
    My compact kit.

Comment

Keep this review coming Cuban, very interesting.....

Comment

Well, i am happy with my 9, but you know the true answer is the GAS answer: combine the kits into one! double the modules, triple the fun!

hope that your family gets through this rough patch and heads for calmer waters! good luck

saku
        TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
        ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
        not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Originally posted by saku View Post
          Well, i am happy with my 9, but you know the true answer is the GAS answer: combine the kits into one! double the modules, triple the fun!

hope that your family gets through this rough patch and heads for calmer waters! good luck

saku
          Indeed, GAS is fun, but can also be painful!

To be honest, I am thinking along the lines of learning the craft again on a
          smaller kit, concentrating on basics - licks can always be expanded later if I have a GAS attack!

Thanks for the kind words about my family, it's been tough and as they say, it never rains when it pours.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuban View Post
            It's 4.15am now and the brain is fading more than normal, so I must have missed something that the TD10 TW1
            offers that the TD9 does not, but right now, I cannot think what (please feel free to remind me!)
            COSM shell depth, material, head type, strainer
            Positional sensing on snare, toms and ride
            Sequencer for MIDI patterns
            Pad and master EQ
            Effects like reverb
            Front panel faders
            Global panning
            Direct outputs
            Compression
            Kit chains

There are a few others, but perhaps none are crucial.

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by BarT View Post
              COSM shell depth, material, head type, strainer
              Positional sensing on snare, toms and ride
              Sequencer for MIDI patterns
              Pad and master EQ
              Effects like reverb
              Front panel faders
              Global panning
              Direct outputs
              Compression
              Kit chains

There are a few others, but perhaps none are crucial.

Bruce
              What language was that Bruce?
              Seriously, I guess most of the above would be only used in depth by those
              with a studio / mixing background?

I agree, Kit chains is useful on the TD10, but I have 20 free kits to build on
              the TD9, so I could build in the order required, but I am not far enough into
              it yet to know if I can move them about at a later date.

Comment

You can always rely on this forum to come up trumps.

Scratching my head over the low volume on the TD-9, I now see I was not alone.
                http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40913

I have been used to having the TD-10 at 40% volume, but was running the
                TD-9 at 100% and still not hearing it at the volume I wanted ( I like to play
                softly ), so in the end I ran the headphone out into the mix in on the TD-10
                and bingo, of course all was sorted.

I don't have access to to a TD-12 or a TD-20, so could anyone confirm if the
                TD-9 is the only kit with this volume issue? Why did Roland make this change?
                I wonder how the TD-4 will be - anyone know yet?

As an update as to which way am I leaning over my kits, well right now, while
                I am happy playing on the smaller TD-9, I think I may also keep the TD-10
                EXP module to give me long term flexibility (you didn't see that one coming
                did you... )

So I may also keep a few other pads / cymbals, plus I have a new toy to add
                ( ) to give me the GAS option if needed.

I also have only ever used a KD-8 and have been happy with it for the most
                part, but I have been lent a KD-80 to try out and that, along with getting a
                new kick pedal, gives me another area to experiment with, so I will report
                back on that.

It's going to be 'old unknown' kick pedal vs a Tama Iron Cobra HP900P vs a
                Pearl Eliminator Power Shifter P-2000B (anyone used tried to latter two side
                by side?)

Anyway, as they say, more later.

Comment

Cuban,

Still interested in your opinion: On a scale of 0 to 10, how will you rate TD-10 w/ TDW-1 and TD-9, just the module?
                  My compact kit.

Comment

Hi John

Sorry, yes I will be rating the modules, although I don't have a 'studio' head,
                    so some of the more refined areas of the TD-10 EXP (as BarT said) are above
                    the TD-9 and beyond me (sorry.)

My angle will be module user friendlyness and set up options.

Naturally the 'new' TD-9 has the updated and uprated pads over the 'old'
                    TD-10, so out of the box so to speak, the smaller kit offers more options
                    in some respects.

Comment

I would keep the kit the way it already is and wait for the TD-4 ;-)
                      But I love my TD-9

Comment

Originally posted by TheSquonk View Post
                        I would keep the kit the way it already is and wait for the TD-4 ;-)
                        But I love my TD-9
                        Not following you, leave which kit the way it is? The Td-9?
                        And why wait for the TD4, is it going to be 'that' special?

Comment

Not following you, leave which kit the way it is? The Td-9?
                          And why wait for the TD4, is it going to be 'that' special?
                          Sorry
                          No, I would keep the TD-10 and add a TD-4 module because the TD-4 has most of the features of the TD-9 and is cheapter...
                          And - if you'd do it like that - you would not lose the features of the TD-10 the TD-9 doesn't have (as already mentioned in this thread)

Comment

Originally posted by TheSquonk View Post
                            Sorry
                            No, I would keep the TD-10 and add a TD-4 module because the TD-4 has most of the features of the TD-9 and is cheapter...
                            And - if you'd do it like that - you would not lose the features of the TD-10 the TD-9 doesn't have (as already mentioned in this thread)
                            Ah with you now. However, I already have on loan and the option for this
                            TD-9 (at very little cost!), so it's not a money thing and I think the 9/10EXP
                            modules seem to work well together.

I've yet to try the TD-12 / TD-20 modules, but from what I have read the
                            Expanded TD-10 I have is perhaps better in the sound department (cymbals
                            wise at least), but I also can't comment on the 12/20s extra features over
                            and above the 10s. Hoping to get the chance to try them though.

I've been playing around with some of the pad settings on the TD-9 module
                            today and have a much punchier and louder sound following this (Trigger /
                            Advanced / Sensitivity.)

I need to get myself some MDH-10U clamps to make interchanging during
                            these trials more easier - anyone got any going spare in the UK?

Comment

...I guess most of the above would be only used in depth by those with a studio / mixing background?
                              Some of those are the 'important' parameters that really lets you modifiy or create new sounds from scratch. The td-3, td-6(V) and td-9 offer (very) limited sound editing capabilities.

P.S. COSM shell depth, material, head type, strainer, Positional sensing on snare & toms and ride, Pad EQ and Compression are the paramters you need to make new sounds.
                              Last edited by TriggerThis; 01-30-09, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X