Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Any downside to single trigger pads as toms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any downside to single trigger pads as toms?

I bought a set of 5 PD-100 pads when Roland was clearing them out back in the fall. My intent is to use them as tom pads and I'm wondering what the downside is since they are only single trigger pads? I realize that I won't be able to trigger a second sound via the rim but I can't really see any disadvantage to this since I never did this when playing acoustic toms. Will these pads serve me well as toms or is there some major advantage to having dual trigger tom pads that I haven't considered?

No, if you don't use tom rims there's no point in the second trigger; and for head use only, a PD-100 is as good as any other pad.

Bruce

Comment

Most toms are single trigger, but it is dead simple to add a rim piezo if you decide later thats something you need. Most everybody here would jump all over the chance to buy some of those at clearance prices...

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=344952
      http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.p...ght=PD100+Dual
      Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

i never used rims on acoustic toms, but it's neat setting extra sounds to the rim on the edrums. it allows you to effectively have 3 (4/5/however many toms you have) additional sounds whether you want rims of toms, cymbals, clapping, some guy saying ooo yea or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by artie View Post
          I bought a set of 5 PD-100 pads when Roland was clearing them out back in the fall. My intent is to use them as tom pads and I'm wondering what the downside is since they are only single trigger pads? I realize that I won't be able to trigger a second sound via the rim but I can't really see any disadvantage to this since I never did this when playing acoustic toms. Will these pads serve me well as toms or is there some major advantage to having dual trigger tom pads that I haven't considered?
          naw there usless! single trigger? thing of the past. how much ya want for em??
          seriously, i hardly ever use the rim trigger on toms unless i want a good rimshot sound. besides you can add a rim piezo easily
          Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

All of my Hart toms are single trigger. I couldn't really see the use for rim triggers, and unless your very accurate you get unwanted sounds in your recordings. Just ask Hampis

Comment

without rim triggers, where do you put all the COWBELLS?
              TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
              ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
              not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Originally posted by saku View Post
                without rim triggers, where do you put all the COWBELLS?

You buy a Hart Hammer and use that!

Comment

Originally posted by KevH View Post
                  All of my Hart toms are single trigger. I couldn't really see the use for rim triggers, and unless your very accurate you get unwanted sounds in your recordings. Just ask Hampis
                  He he i must be the only one that has played Maiden with cowbells and whistles ! That was before learning to disable the rim sounds i also never use them that's why i bought more toms
                  Ex E-kits:
                  ''Lernean Hydra'' ( a bounche of roland pads with a td-6 module)
                  ''Lucy'' (Diamond electronic drums with a td-12 module)
                  current E-kit
                  ''Cherry Gretschy Lady'' (Gretsch Catalina Ash 6 piece A to E kit-Roland td20 module-A to E cymbals)

A-kit
                  " Mrs.Catalina'' (Gretsch Catalina maple 6 piece kit-Paiste signature+Masterwork custom made cymbals)

check out a few videos http://www.youtube.com/user/hampisdrums

Comment

Like Kev, all my Hart pro toms are single trigger. I've been good with that. To me, having rim triggering on a tom would simply be a bonus rather than something you're missing if you don't have it. If I had rim triggers on the toms, I'm sure I would assign additional percussion sounds to them that I would rarely use.
                    TD-12; TD-6V; FD-8; Hart Pro Toms, Snare, Bass; ECII hihat, crashes, splash & ride; Smartrigger crashes & china; Hart Hammer Pad; Pintech Dingbat; Iron Cobra double-bass.

"I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

I may be the only one who doesn't like the idea of single trigger toms by the look of this thread !!!

Sorry guys, but I have to dissent - the rim on the toms is very important to the sound. They show up every mis-hit and mistake beautifully - how could you live without them?

Comment

Working...
                      X