Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CY-15R? CY-12R? Or wait?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CY-15R? CY-12R? Or wait?

I am currently using a CY-6 as my ride on an unexpanded TD-10. I should have my TDW-1 showing up in a couple days, which is making me think about upgrading my ride and relegating my CY-6 to a crash/splash.

So the CY-15R is the obvious choice because it's big, has positional sensing with the TDW-1, three-way triggering, etc. The CY-12R/C, though smaller, has all of those features as well. But these are both expensive.

I know that Pintech has new "Zenbals" e-cymbals coming out, but I'm not sure what the specs are... Are there any that come close to being as good as the Roland models? Or are there any products on the horizon from any other manufacturers that will have three-way triggering and/or positional sensing on the bow? Or does Roland have these features exclusively?

For me, if it is a choice between the CY-15R and CY-12R/C, I think the 15R wins because positional sensing on a 12 inch cymbal almost doesn't make sense to me... I would think the extra surface area would be needed to notice any difference with it.

Just wondering if anyone else out there will have any comparable products coming out... I think I could live with a dual-trigger Pintech or Hart crash, but I really want three-way triggering and pos. sensing on my ride. Just mulling over my options...

Thanks.
    -Tony
    kit pr0n.

Another thing to consider is that the CY-15R feels somewhat better to play than the CY-12RC. They both trigger fine (except for the bell of course), but the larger surface area of the CY-15R offers more of a sweet spot for rebound.
    Roland TD-20 v1.08, various v-drums and v-cymbals, Yamaha KP65's, Axis pedals, Gibraltar hardware, Mackie 1202/SRM450 (pre-china)

Comment

Yeah, ride feel is really important to me so I think I'm just gonna break down and get a 15R...

What's wrong with the bell triggering? Is it really as bad as people here are saying? Would you describe it as a "minor annoyance" or "completely unplayable?" Or somewhere in between?
      kit pr0n.

Comment

Hmm. I really don't want to buy a $300 ride and then have to cut it open to "tweak it."

I'm at least encouraged by the fact that most people in the thread were able to get it where they wanted it with trigger settings alone, rather than having to resort to jerry-rigging.

It's also clear from that thread that everyone has different ideas of what they expect from the pad, and each pad is different, and probably has different quirks with regard to its playability. I hope I can dial mine in with trigger settings and get it where I want it.
        kit pr0n.

Comment

I us the outside of the cy15r as the bell and it werks a treat, takes a bit of time to get used to but hey it works

John
          Sonor Signature Ebony, Phonic and a DW
          TD20 BK/ TD10/Exp, TD8, Spd20, Spd6, VCymbals etc.

Comment

Wait, your bell trigger is so bad that you use the edge as the bell? Then that's no better than a CY-6 or a CY-14 dual-trigger pad!

Three-way triggering is one of my main reasons for getting a 15R...
            kit pr0n.

Comment

Ok let me explain,

I did use a pd7 before i got the 15r and used the bell on the outside, after getting the 15 i used the bell to trigger a hand clap, I have purchased a spd6 to trigger the additional percussion sounds i need and will use the 15 to its full potential, however i have gotten used to the bell on the outside and may leave it where it is. Perhaps there is a technical reason why i cannot do this, would appreciate any info if there is. Am not 100% up to speed on this and the kit spends most of the time in the van for gigging.

It pisses the hell out of snotty ppl coming up to play the kit as some regard it as inferior and not natural. Most would give an arm for the sound through the PA though and the honest ones would love to have the cash to buy one.

VDrums Rock.

John

Comment

getting back to the origional question cy15 v cy12,

I replaced all pd7s with cy6'swhen they came out first. they worked fine for a few months but then became very unrealiable. i knew they were not suitable for live gigging(for me) and replaced them with the cy15r and 14's (was also lucky that the shop took them back and give me credit for the 15 and 14's).

I have to say that they were great and every time i hit them they work, i don't worry if they will or not, i cannot say the same about the cy6's. but in this case i felt that i got what i payed for.

For each individual it depends on budget and what u want to do with them, I am not a heavy handed player but i find that i hit harder in a live gig and that may be an issue in determining what u buy.

John
                Last edited by J-Doc; 08-27-02, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X