Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Roland or Yamaha for first electronic kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland or Yamaha for first electronic kit?

Hi, I've decided to get back into playing, after a break of many years. I have a Pearl Export kit in the shed which I can't bring into the house as it drives the family & neighbours insane, just too loud. I have no experience with electronic kits so I went to the local music store & played on 3 or 4 sets. I was really surprised! They were more responsive than I expected & sounded pretty good. At this stage I'm thinking of a beginners kit, get back into practice & get the feel of playing again & then look for a band or players to have some fun with & then upgrade to a td12 or something. A drummer friend advised me to only look at Roland, but one of the kits I tried was the Yamaha DT Express iv & it seemed quite nice. It was hooked up to a sub & a couple of nice little Yamaha speakers & that may have influenced me sound wise. The bass drum sounded fat, like a concert hall. Second hand td6 are about $1300 to $1600 aud, (that's my budget), haven't seen any td9 with mesh pads second hand yet. A td12 went for $3,000 recently, would have been very tempted to stretch for that.
    Anyway, if anyone has suggestions based on experience they would be gratefully accepted.

I wasn't a drummer, bought a TD-3 almost 2 years ago now at the local GC before I found this forum...wasn't sure if I'd really get into it so I got the entry level kit... after a while, upgraded to what I have now. started adding to the TD-3, a Dingbat, then mesh pads which I'm using now on the new kit.

I upgraded to the TD-12...the "problem" (unless you buy used) is the depreciation on your beginner kit.

the best advice is to try what you want to get and see if you really like it. Getting the best stuff you can at first saves you money in the long run. Since you played drums before you may not be happy with or will quickly outgrow an entry level kit.

see if you can try try Roland kit through the same amp as the Yamaha went through, just like with a guitar, the amp will make a big difference.

the module is the key, you can use other brands for racks, drums, cymbals etc. Buying used can save you a lot of money or get you more for the same amount. there area LOT of ways to put a kit together.

Welcome to the forum, our international group will give you lots of answers/information/opinions.

good luck, let us know what you end up getting.
    Michael

TD-12/Gibraltar rack/Pintech Concertcast drums 12" snare, 1 12" tom, 2 10" toms, 8" mesh kick, Visulite cymbals, 14" dual zone crash, 13" hi-hat, 18" 3 zone ride and 2 Dingbats, Roland PM-10, iPod, Zildjian anti-vibe sticks, Roc-N-Soc throne with backrest, Yamaha snare stand, Tama Iron Cobra pedal and HH75W hi-hat stand, Sennheiser HDR 110 wireless headphones. V-expressions 80's and 90's Giggin' Kits and Both Top 50 drummers (hopefully functional soon)

Comment

"I have a Pearl Export kit in the shed which I can't bring into the house as it drives the family & neighbours insane, just too loud."

Since you already have a kit available, I would DIY a kit together from either used or new components.

- Purchase Pintech trigger bars or DIY and attach to your existing drum lug screws.
      - Purchase mesh heads (Roland, Hart, Yamaha, Pearl).
      - Purchase a module (any brand/model/price you desire).
      - Purchase e-cymbals or DIY your existing metal cymbals (plenty of how to in the forum).
      - If your not satisfied with your exisiting stands, purchase a rack.
      - Play through headphones or purchase a small amp/drum monitor.

It's not as intense as it sounds and unless you look for deals, you may spend more than just purchasing a complete e-kit. The Pintech drum trigger bars basically drop in without any modifications to your acoustic kit, so you can reverse the procedure without any damage to the shells (unless you drill jack holes like I did). Good luck with your e-drum search. WW

These are photos of my acoustic conversion using Pintech trigger bars:

TD-20exp module/TD-10exp * VH-12 hh * Gibraltar hh stand * 4 Hart Hammers * 2-22" kicks w/Pintech triggers & Blastech mesh * 1-14" snare w/Pintech triggers & Hart mesh *2-10", 2-12" & 2-14" roto toms w/Quartz triggers & Hart mesh * 7 PCY-150 cymbals

Comment

Very nice!

Hey WildWes,

Very nice set-up!
        Are those 16" basedrums?

You must be on the Midnight Train to Georgia!

Good luck,

Steve
        Roland TDW-20/HPD-15/ Korg Wavedrums/Vexpressions
        Vdrumlib.

Comment

Hey, thanks for the replies.

Picksorsticks, it's true, changing over can be costly & a hassle. I've noticed that most kits sold on ebay were pick up only, not easy to package & transport.

WildWes, wow that's an amazing set up. In my case I don't think I'll mess with my Pearl kit. I'll either keep it & use it for gigs where the electronic kit isn't suitable or I'll sell it.

Since my post I've spoken with a friend in another city who records in his home studio set up. Turns out he has a Yamaha DTXpress IV Special & is really happy with it. I'm making a list of which features are important to me. If I didn't have a limited budget I could save a lot of time!

Comment

I'd go for Roland just because of the upgradeability route, but have a look at Hart kits, because you get more for your money, and being US based you have much easier access to them than here in the UK. I play Hart, as do many here, and they are excellent.

Comment

Wes: Purty kit.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
              TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Thanks S.T.P. Boston and grog. I am happy with this latest e-kit.

Yes, those are 10"x16" kicks with Pintech trigger bars, Gibraltar spurs/riser, Hart mesh and JamminSam purple sparkle wrap. I would have used Hart mesh all around, but once I wrapped the two 14" floor toms, the Hart mesh wouldn't fit onto the shell. No problem with the Pintech mesh.

No problem Alleyoop. I was just giving you an option for your existing acoustic kit. Although I use Yamaha/Pintech products, I don't generally try to push those brands on anyone. I feel each drummer needs to play the various brands/models and decide for themselves, as to what they like (sounds, options, visual, price, etc...). Good luck on whatever you purchase. WW.
                TD-20exp module/TD-10exp * VH-12 hh * Gibraltar hh stand * 4 Hart Hammers * 2-22" kicks w/Pintech triggers & Blastech mesh * 1-14" snare w/Pintech triggers & Hart mesh *2-10", 2-12" & 2-14" roto toms w/Quartz triggers & Hart mesh * 7 PCY-150 cymbals

Comment

Thanks again. I think it will get down to whether I have the patience to wait for the right second hand kit to become available, maybe a td9 or td12. If i purchase new it would probably be the Yamaha DTXpress iv, seems about $1,000 cheaper than the td9 new. I'll go over to the store today & have another play, knowing a lot more now than the last time I was there.

I'm in Australia btw, not sure of Hart availability.

Comment

Working...
                  X