Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

good starting electronic drum set?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good starting electronic drum set?

I've been looking at the Roland TD-4k (not out yet) and the Simmons SD9K as a good electronic drum set to start off with.
    Would either of these be good for starting out?
    Would an acoustic set be better for a beginner?

Does anyone have other suggestions for good electronic sets for just starting out?

ty

If you have the bucks go for the td9, if you find out that drums are not or you you can always sell it and get a good chunk if not all your money back

------------------------------------------------
    Roland TD6-KW+VEX's

Comment

Originally posted by Synkopat View Post
      If you have the bucks go for the td9, if you find out that drums are not or you you can always sell it and get a good chunk if not all your money back
      i see a lot of ppl saying the TD-9 is good but i don't have the money for it, what makes it so good and 2k+ is a lot for just starting out is it not?

Comment

If you do not have the money then certainly you have to look at other sets, TD3 is good one for starting or even a td6 (I have that one) if you can still find one. The thing is this drumming bug is the better the model the easier to achieve performance similar to an acoustic set. Eventually you will want to hook up a VH11 or VH12 for more realistic HiHat and it does not work with cheaper modules.

you may want to take a look at Yamaha's models, they have some at very good price and there are pe4ople in this forum who say they are good. I was up for the yamaha until I tried the mesh heads of the roland and it totally changed my mind, they are quieter and provide a much better and realistic feel (TD9 is all mesh). I cannot tell anything about the simmons. Prices are gping up so you may not want wait until td4 come out. My suggestion is definitive roland TD6 which much cheaper now that is discontinued or a yamaha in the same category. Do a search on the forum and you will have a lot of insight about other brands.

But before you decide anything think about what is the purpose of the kit. Are you into drumming as aiming to become professional, do you just want it as a hobbie or serious hobbie that you will explore not in professional way but to the extend of even playing in band for fun and regularly, do you lan to gig live, etc, All this question you should answer before actually buying your kit. In my experience it is better to go for the best you can afford if this a seriour hobbie or you plan to ddo it professionally, if you just want to have a taste of what drumming is like, go get some lessons, pay some studio time for a while and see if drumming is for you if not then you would have saved the money of a pricy drum set.

Cheers, happy week-end

------------------------------------------------
        Roland TD6-KW+VEX's

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze View Post
          i see a lot of ppl saying the TD-9 is good but i don't have the money for it, what makes it so good and 2k+ is a lot for just starting out is it not?
          I see this as two lines of thought.
          1) if you buy something that is 'ok', then you may get frustrated with the lack of functionality, choices, or whatever. If you buy 'super cheap', you are more likely to be disappointed. Disappointment usually leads to quitting or giving up. And this is due to equipment frustration (more likely) than desire.

2) If you buy a little higher than intro level, this may give you time to 'grow into' the kit. And, you will probably be pleased with all the options. This will give you a better feeling about it, and you will most likely enjoy it more. And it does have better re-sale value, if you choose to not continue to drum.

3) The more you spend, the more you may feel 'obligated' to try. If you buy a $50 drum kit, and you think, oh it's only $50, I'll play it next week. You may just keep down that road. if you spend $2500 on a kit, you think, I better like this or sell it quick!

And drumming, if you're new, takes a bit to get going on. I remember my first two weeks of drumming.. and I was always thinking "Man, I am glad I only spent $250 on this drumkit.". But then I bought some nice sounding cymbals, (for $400 or so) and some nice pedals (DW5000 vs the no-name strap pedals) and new heads (and learned how to tune my crap drums to sound decent) -- my experience turned around 100%! What I hate is the reverse, some one plops a ton of money on something and doesn't take time to learn anything about it, and decides it is crap because they don't know how to tune, place, configure, etc. BTW, most default settings are CRAP.

My thoughts... Thanks for reading them.
          Summary - - I agree - go for the TD-9, you'll be happier with it for 2 reasons - it will probably be easier to resell OR You will like all the features, and won't feel like you got the 'cheap' kit.
          Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX. Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.
          sigpichttp://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=353

Comment

There's always the second-hand option. I started with a new TD3, but quickly upgraded the pads to mesh and then the module to a used TD8. The next step will probably be a used TD12 module - if I spot a reasonable one.
            . digitalDrummer
            Review index

Comment

with any drum kit, acoustic or electronic you ( to some extent) get what you pay for. You'll get more consistent sounds, maybe better out of an e-kit versus a cheap a-kit. noise/neighbor issues can be a problem, v-drums are NOT silent and sometimes cause issues with neighbors

get the best gear you can to start with, it'll save you money in the long run.

I also started with a TD-3, added mesh, then replaced the whole thing.... the new set up is a much nicer kit, but more expensive, larger footprint, more complicated...

you might find that you get into it and want better gear.

used gear can save you a lot of money....you can often sell it off for what you paid for it later on if you upgrade things

I haven't tried the Simmons kit. The TD-3 served me well, worked very well but was kind of limited. The TD-4 improves on the TD-3 and might not be a bad "entry level" kit....

everybody has some sort of budget to work within. you can get lots of ideas from the group to make the best purchase decisions for your situation.

good luck.

I almost didn't buy the TD-3, I wasn't sure if I'd like it, I found I LOVED drumming and got into it......

make sure you try some drums, acoustic, electronic if you can, it's a BIG help.
              Michael

TD-12/Gibraltar rack/Pintech Concertcast drums 12" snare, 1 12" tom, 2 10" toms, 8" mesh kick, Visulite cymbals, 14" dual zone crash, 13" hi-hat, 18" 3 zone ride and 2 Dingbats, Roland PM-10, iPod, Zildjian anti-vibe sticks, Roc-N-Soc throne with backrest, Yamaha snare stand, Tama Iron Cobra pedal and HH75W hi-hat stand, Sennheiser HDR 110 wireless headphones. V-expressions 80's and 90's Giggin' Kits and Both Top 50 drummers (hopefully functional soon)

Comment

Definitely go used if you have any intention of upgrading down the road.

Roland gear is like buying a new car. The minute you open it, it depreciates quite a bit (like driving a new car right off the lot). But if you buy used, they tend to hold their value well.

I went from a TD3 to a TD8 to a TD20. All used.
                Fufill your GAS problems here at my eBay store: Drums By DjPiLL

Check out my new Drum Outlet eBay Store for various CHEAP percussion hardware: DJ's Drum Outlet

Comment

I like the td 9 a lot (and have it, i upgraded from a td6), but you might be able to get a really good deal on a unsold td-3 from shops who are expecting the td-4 in. otherwise, the td4 itself will probably be an excellent kit for a beginner. Yammies also have a good reputation. There is one bloke on this forum who has a simmons and is happy with it, so my scepticism towards it may be unjustified.

Nothing wrong with starting with a smaller kit - if you find the bug gets you, you can always sell it and upgrade - might cost you more in the long run (which it did me), but you might have more money down the road as well.

Good luck with whatever kit you decide to get!

saku

what makes the 9 worth the price is that it has many more sounds than a 3 or 4 has, can be edited (tweaked), has more backing songs and the scope function. the smaller kits though do have a rhythm coach.
                  TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
                  ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
                  not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

ok ty for the help, i don't know what im going to do for now but im hoping to get a TD-4 or a TD-9 just going to see what comes up.

Comment

ok so i narrowed it down to the TD-3 and TD-4, does anyone have any ideas on which one to get?

and does anyone know how good the TD-8 module is?

Comment

In terms of feature vs price, IMO, TD-8 is the most bangs for bucks module. It's the cheapest module that gives you V-Edit (i.e. tweaking your snare shell material, etc.) and a similar user interface found on top-end modules TD-10/12/20.
                        My compact kit.

Comment

Originally posted by sciomako View Post
                          In terms of feature vs price, IMO, TD-8 is the most bangs for bucks module. It's the cheapest module that gives you V-Edit (i.e. tweaking your snare shell material, etc.) and a similar user interface found on top-end modules TD-10/12/20.
                          how much does a TD-8 kit go for?

Comment

From the top of my head, i think it's about USD$400-550 on ebay.

EDIT: I mean module only. No idea about the entire kit.
                            My compact kit.

Comment

sciomako nails it: getting a kit based around a TD-8 is a great approach for someone just starting out but not wanting to go the TD-3 route. The TD-4 looks awfully promising as well.

We've had this conversation many many times. There are other threads that go into greater detail about the differences between the TD-3 and many of the Yamaha kits. I've always felt the Yammie kits offered a better sound library at the price point but as was mentioned above. you might find banging on rubber pads less suitable for the long term than mesh. See if you can hit a local Guitar Center to try both lines.

I also disagree with DjPill on the depreciation bit. A look at ebay prices over the last year shows how the Roland kits do an amazing job of holding their value. OTOH, given the price hike on the kits due to exchange rates, perhaps Mr Pill's onto something. That being said, Roland kits are gonna resell a helluva lot easier and for much more of their original price than a Simmons kit will.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
                              TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X