Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

What/Where to Buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What/Where to Buy

I'm rank beginner at drums (started lessons back in September of '08), and I practice on a glorified game controller. I'm looking to purchase my first real kit. After spending some time checking things out (here and in meatspace), I've determined that I like the looks of and can afford a new TD-9SX, given the deals that are available online (I watch Ebay/Craigslist like a hawk over a prairie dog farm).

The advice that I'm after - aside from the usual "is this kit good enough/right for me?" - is more along the lines of "am I safe buying a relatively large ticket item like this from an Ebay reseller?". Has anyone else here gone the Ebay route? I'm having trouble pulling the trigger on a purchase even though I'm getting sick of the whap-whap-whap-thunk of my trusty ION controller.

Saving a few bucks wouldn't be a bad thing, either. I occasionally see TD-6's with mesh heads up for sale. Though the rack doesn't look as sturdy as the -9's rack, it looks like a decent kit. How does the module compare to the newer TD-9? Would something else fit my needs better still? I've only had the opportunity to try out Roland kits at my local store, so I know nothing about Hart or Yamaha.

I know I'm just a prospective buyer who's been made doubly skittish by a lousy economic climate, but spending $2-3k at the moment is giving me the willies. From past history, I can already tell you that GAS will be an issue down the line, too. I'm a sucker for 'upgrades' of all sorts.

So, does anyone feel like helping a noob out with some suggestions?

I started with a td6 and upgraded to a td9. I really enjoyed the 6, and if i had known about vex kits, would have enjoyed it even more...however, I think the 9 is wonderful. much better sounds, some things like ghost notes, splash hihat, cymbal rolls and so on are much easier (BarT, Bruce, disagrees with me and thinks the td6 was good in those areas and that it was me that was the problem), and the beginners functions like the scope and being able to easily mute different parts of the backing tracks (possible with the 6 but not as easily) are really cool. Also, the three zone ride - and cy 12's are much better than cy8s for the ride.

I still have the rack from the 6, as i only upgraded brains and pads (and btw having for instance a cy5 or vh11 as a hihat is MUCH better than a smaller 6's pd-8), but have had no problems with it, and I am rather rough and clumsy...though eventually I will need to get a bigger rack as GAS courses through my veins and wallet...

To sum up, you will be happy with a td6...but delirious with a td-9, if you can afford it.

be careful on the bay and craigslist..if a deal is too good to be true, well, you do the maths...I prefer either pick up, or buying from a reputable dealer, so I dont have to worry about things...

a couple of td 12s are listed on our own classified ads....

good luck and good hunting!
    TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
    ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
    not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

If you can swing the cost of a TD-9, do it. You will not regret it.

Beware of eBay sales on new equipment, simply because not all eBay sellers are authorized Roland dealers, and you will not get a warranty. Some are, but just be on the look-out.

Take a look at RMC Audio and BPM Music. Best prices, no tax and free shipping. You will need to get a quote from them, but trust me...it will be worth it.

Good luck!

Comment

Yeah, given where you are, ebay *could* be a crap shoot and you could get mightily taken. Most of us have an eye for the swindles on the full kits.

Piecing together a kit (which is what I eventually did), takes time and again, you really do need to know what you're getting.

So, if you're ready to plunge in whole hog, ebay probably ain't the route to take. I suppose you could scope out auctions and post where we post "scams" and see if the seller seems on the up and up and the pricing isn't too loopy.

Or you could do what Colquhoun says and buy from RMC or BPM. You'll get great prices for retail, RMC is a sponsor here.

We also say get the most kit you can afford. If you end up "buying down", you pretty quickly run into wanting to upgrade. If you determine that after a while, this just ain't for you, you can typically sell something like a TD-9 kit and not take a huge hit on cost. Think of it as a demonstration fee.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
        TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

As to The TD-12 in the classifieds, it's a little bit intimidating to me. I'm still just learning how to read drum notation and translate it into arm & leg movements! The -9 seems closer to my speed. RMC's quote is very competitive, and since so many people seem to like the place, I'll probably end up buying from them (assuming I ever pull the trigger). Maybe even save time and order an extra CY-8, too.

I like the looks of your kit, Colquhoun. May I ask why you chose to upgrade the kick pad? I already use a KD-8 with my game controller and I actually like the thwapping sound that it makes. Call me strange.

Comment

One piece of advice: instead of ordering an extra CY-8, order a Yamaha PCY-135. Much much much much better cymbal (see thread next to this one for my pontificating on that).

As for the kick, some people (like me) think that the rubber pad really limits what you can do with a kick whereas a mesh kick typically provides lots of bounce. Sure, there are a *few* people here who prefer a rubber kick but clearly their mother's dropped them on their heads at birth.

TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Dropped on my head? Preposterous! I'd have noticed the broken floorboards later on anyway - we lived in the same house throughout my childhood.

In my defense, I've never tried anything other than the KD-8. So I plead ignorance.

Comment

Heh heh, or notice the depression in your skull.

As for the kick, while I normally say "upgrade the kick to mesh", I realise that some folks like it rubber. Plus, while looking at the TD-9 kit in question, another crash is definitely warranted. That way, you'd have a good basic cymbal set: HH, ride and 2 crashes. Search in here if you want to see why some of us think the CY-8, particularly as a crash, isn't one of Roland's best efforts over the years, hence my suggestion about getting a Yamaha instead.

Also, RMC might work with you on a little kit customization. Ask em.

Comment

Originally posted by grog View Post
                  One piece of advice: instead of ordering an extra CY-8, order a Yamaha PCY-135. Much much much much better cymbal (see thread next to this one for my pontificating on that).

As for the kick, some people (like me) think that the rubber pad really limits what you can do with a kick whereas a mesh kick typically provides lots of bounce. Sure, there are a *few* people here who prefer a rubber kick but clearly their mother's dropped them on their heads at birth.

My mum never dropped me on my head, and I prefer the rubber kick.
                  She did, however, hit me on the head with an iron once.
                  I take the point about rebound though.

Comment

The rebound of the iron, or the kick pad? And I've never noticed any depressions on my head. I'm pretty sure solid rock just chips, anyway.

I'll ask RMC about adding one of those Yamaha cymbals to my prospective order. Someday I'm sure I'll get to try a mesh kick pad, but I see that they're pretty expensive so it's probably best that I remain ignorant for the time being.

Comment

The kick pad. KD8's have no rebound, mesh head kicks too much. Them's the breaks!

Comment

Hi Sid,

Buying stuff on ebay requires a bit of street-smart, sensing which sellers to trust. You learn it it by experience and observation. If you have no experience on ebay before and are inclined to get, say, a used TD-6V on ebay, your best bet is get a friend of yours who has more experience on ebay to size up the deal/seller. Having said that, trading on ebay always involves certain degree of risk, regardless how careful you are. So you have to factor the risk in and put a monetary value on the risk.

Be aware that TD-6 kits come in different forms. So far, I've seen 4 different racks: the old blue one, the 3 series rack, the 6 series rack and the curvy mini 6 series rack which doesn't have top-left swing arm. (Sorry, i can't remember all their model numbers.) People reported the curvy mini rack isn't very stable. On the other hand, the 3-series and 6-series are pretty good. I've seen SuperPuss loaded it with many many pads and a much heavy module without any problem.

All the best.
                        My compact kit.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid Kafizz View Post
                          I like the looks of your kit, Colquhoun.
                          Colquhoun, I'm water-mouthing over your Roland monitor and throne... (where is water-mouthing smiley??)
                          My compact kit.

Comment

Originally posted by Colquhoun View Post
                            If you can swing the cost of a TD-9, do it. You will not regret it.

Beware of eBay sales on new equipment, simply because not all eBay sellers are authorized Roland dealers, and you will not get a warranty. Some are, but just be on the look-out.

Take a look at RMC Audio and BPM Music. Best prices, no tax and free shipping. You will need to get a quote from them, but trust me...it will be worth it.

Good luck!
                            Great advice!! Have you been to your closest Music store to check out kits? do any of your friends have e-kits?
                            TD -10 EXP V-PRO, TD-12 module,HPD-15,SPD-30 ,SPD-SX dual trigger toms,upgraded V-cymbals Korg Karma,M-3, Pearl Eliminator DBL pedals,KD-120, Sonor Maple acoustic, Zildjian Cymbals
                            Gene Krupa,Mitch Mitchell,Akira Jimbo,Milos Meier

Comment

Originally posted by logan View Post
                              Great advice!! Have you been to your closest Music store to check out kits? do any of your friends have e-kits?
                              I'm working with RMC now. My local store has the TD-3SW and TD-9S set up, although they are rather 'squished' into a corner, which makes a gangly guy like me feel cramped. Still, both of those kits are nice.

I don't know anyone with e-drums. Just acoustic kits.

Comment

Working...
                              X