Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Short acoustic toms..??? What's the deal??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short acoustic toms..??? What's the deal??

Morning,

What's the deal with eveyone offering the "fast sized" toms (or whatever the individual companies are calling them)?

Seems like every manufacturer is selling mainly the short "explosive" toms etc.

I like a full shell.. even on my rack toms, but I must confess as a smaller guy the short stack would offer better options for mounting..

Is this just what's "en vouge" in drumming this year?

E
    - your source for electronic cigs. Use coupon code "" for 10% off every order!!!

when you strike a drum you have a column of air movement and a vibration of the shell. the air travels much slower than the vibration. on a shorter tom or drum the the air is allowed to travel from the top head to the bottom back to the to top head at a faster rate and is somewhat able to keep up with the vibration allowing for a full richer tone. on the deeper drums it take longer for the air flow to travel and can conflict more with the vibration causing some cancelation in the tone. hope this makes sence as im not good at explaining this but know how it works. there was kinda a myth about deeper toms sounding more powerful. sorry, cant spell worth a darn
    more power may be true to deeper single headed toms.
    but hey the deep toms looked very cool!
    Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

Originally posted by jammin777 View Post
      when you strike a drum you have a column of air movement and a vibration of the shell. the air travels much slower than the vibration. on a shorter tom or drum the the air is allowed to travel from the top head to the bottom back to the to top head at a faster rate and is somewhat able to keep up with the vibration allowing for a full richer tone. on the deeper drums it take longer for the air flow to travel and can conflict more with the vibration causing some cancelation in the tone. hope this makes sence as im not good at explaining this but know how it works. there was kinda a myth about deeper toms sounding more powerful. sorry, cant spell worth a darn
      more power may be true to deeper single headed toms.
      but hey the deep toms looked very cool!
      -does this mean a bighter sound then or a darker? I was under the impression part of that cancellation was the higher freq., resulting in darker sounding drums.

E
      - your source for electronic cigs. Use coupon code "" for 10% off every order!!!

Comment

yes i would think darker sounding and not as resonent meaning less sustain. the above quote i got from john goode from DW drums on an instuctional video. maybe someone eles will chime in.
        Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

I love short stack toms as they have a great tone (if tuned properly), look amazing, and allow you to place them really low. The Mapex kit I just sold had fast sized toms which were still too deep for me.
          Roland Td-11KV, Alesis SamplePad, DW5000 pedal, Vater 7A sticks.

Comment

Working...
          X