Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Roland TD9sx questions..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland TD9sx questions..

I have some questions i hope you guys can help me out with.

I want to purchase a TD9sx as a starting drum set to learn the instrument.
    But i also want to use it as a MIDI controller for percussion soft synths such as BFD and Battery.

my questions are..

1) How long do the Mesh pads and the other pads last? I dont want to pay for something that easily breaks or has to be replaced often.. Hopefully you guys have not had to replace your pads..

2) How good and accurate is are the midi pads as a dual midi controller? also
    can i assign what notes in the soft synth gets triggered by a certain pad? (for example, can i assign the center snare drum to trigger the C7 note on my soft synth, or can i assign the rim to trigger the A4 note?

3) Not really a question, but could could you guys give any positive reviews and negative reviews about this drum set. It will help me on my decision to purchase this instrument. thanks guys..

Hi and welcome.

1) The mesh pads are extremely resilient and last for years so you should have no worries on that front.

2) Yes, you can re-assign MIDI notes as you please in the module and the triggers are VERY responsive.

3) There's very little in the way of negatives (aside from price!) with this kit, I'm over the moon with mine, it has surpassed expectations. Tiny quibbles for me are the volume via headphones is a little on the low side from the module (easily rectified by adding VEX Kits or buying a $10 headphone amplifier) and the ride cymbal sometimes doesn't register too well on the bell unless you really clout it (again though, easily fixed if you feel that way inclined).
    My UPDATED TD9-KX - http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g5...0/P2240044.jpg

Comment

What he said...I started with a td6 and upgraded to a td9...no problems in 4 years - unlike the cheap ion kit i started with that was continously breaking - just all in all a lot of fun, and well built, made to last....I also seemed to have received one of the lucky cy12's that does NOT need to be clouted to get a bell sound...
      TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
      ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
      not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

hey, thanks guys for the answers.

if the mesh pads lasts me around 2 years + of everyday practice, i believe this would justify me purchasing this set.

i hear this talk about cross talk...im not 100% what it means aside from the rim triggering the snare or vice versa..i could be mistaken.
        Can anyone enlighten me on this and how greatly it will affect my midi controlling? (if i hit the rim trigger, will it trigger the snare trigger as well?) hope not..hehe...thanks guys..

hope other guys here can also add their answers to my TD9sx questions.
        thanks

Comment

Originally posted by heart4us View Post
          hey, thanks guys for the answers.

if the mesh pads lasts me around 2 years + of everyday practice, i believe this would justify me purchasing this set.

i hear this talk about cross talk...im not 100% what it means aside from the rim triggering the snare or vice versa..i could be mistaken.
          Can anyone enlighten me on this and how greatly it will affect my midi controlling? (if i hit the rim trigger, will it trigger the snare trigger as well?) hope not..hehe...thanks guys..

hope other guys here can also add their answers to my TD9sx questions.
          thanks
          Crosstalk is when Pad A picks up the vibrations when Pad B is hit. It is a problem, but with the right settings in the module, you can eliminate it.

Comment

i highly recommend this kit, and if you have a partner who works at a music store and can get it for you at cost price you're laughing!

Videos

The Dust Revival Band

Spinifex Rose

Kristy Lewis and the Wretched

Wayfaring Strangers

Comment

how is the recording of the audio signals from this KIT? is not having individual outs causing any problems?

Comment

Well , I've had a TD9 since last september and it's been great, We have 3 drummers in the family (both my daughters and myself).

I would expect the mesh pads to hold up pretty good on this kit. The issue with the cy12 cymbal and the CY15 cymbal are the same about triggering the bell sound. However if you execute the stroke with the shoulder of the stick like it says in the roland manual you should be pretty good.

I find that you have to make some concessions when coming from an acoustic kit. So you do need to adjust your playing style. Somebody once asked me how close it was to a real drum kit. I tell them to treat it like a new precussion instrument.

Overall I'm very happy with the quality of the kit. I have since added another cy12 cymbal and am updating the hi-hat to a vh-11 as I prefer a more traditional hi hat ( I'm not fond of the cy5 pad).

as for crosstalk I have not experienced any issues at this point in time.

it's a good kit v-kit for the beginner and advanced player and I expect to get many years of enjoyment out of it!

cheers
                RJ
                TD-9KX 3 X PD-125/ 2 X PD-105/ 4 X PD-85/KD-85/KD-120/KD-8/Cy-5/cy-8/3 X cy12R/C and 1 CY15R 2 X CY14C and a good ol VH-11!

Comment

Working...
                X