Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

help from you multi-instrumental folks please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help from you multi-instrumental folks please

My wife has indulged my musical delusions over the years apparently now she has caught the "music bug".....

she wants to take up the piano...

many folks here are multi-talented and play other instruments....so I'm asking for your help

any recommendations on a digital piano? something that's not a toy but not a budget buster..we looked at the local GC today, she liked the Yamaha p85.

I know this isn't a drum question per se but without her support I wouldn't have my v-drums (I wouldn't mind trying keyboards myself )
    Michael

TD-12/Gibraltar rack/Pintech Concertcast drums 12" snare, 1 12" tom, 2 10" toms, 8" mesh kick, Visulite cymbals, 14" dual zone crash, 13" hi-hat, 18" 3 zone ride and 2 Dingbats, Roland PM-10, iPod, Zildjian anti-vibe sticks, Roc-N-Soc throne with backrest, Yamaha snare stand, Tama Iron Cobra pedal and HH75W hi-hat stand, Sennheiser HDR 110 wireless headphones. V-expressions 80's and 90's Giggin' Kits and Both Top 50 drummers (hopefully functional soon)

I had an Alesis Qs6.1 keyboard a few years ago , and it was actually pretty well put together for the money I spent on it . They have a metal housing on them and some pretty cool sound samples . Also they are expandable with sound cards too .

The piano samples on this keyboard are very realistic .

http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/qs61.shtml

Usually can be found on sites like ebay for $200-$300 .

It might be worth checking out .

sam(otacon28)
    Currently endorsed by Blastech (acoustic/electronic) drums ," Blaster " drum triggers , & " Ballistech II " drumheads. Also sponsored by Drum Star Wear , Xtreme Drummer , & Music Star Wear musician apparel .

Hear my music at :

http://o28music.bandcamp.com/
    http://www.reverbnation.com/o28

Comment

I have had a few and the QS series sounds good and plays good. I have the QS8.
      I had a Kurzweil SP88, which sounded and played fantastic, but I had it repaired so many times I finally just gave it away. The guy I gave it too is still using it 10 years later. I guess the last repair stuck.

I have heard good things about the M-Audio keyboiards also.

The advantage to the Yamaha is that it has built-in speakers. With these other boards, you would need headphones or an amp.

And at this stage, the most important thing is the action of the keys. The Yamaha seems to get good marks there.
      sigpic

Comment

I think the Yamaha P85 could be a good choice. You can also visit this site for a lot of info.

It might be good to make a list of things you want before deciding on an instrument. Hammer or graded-hammer action, built-in speakers or an external amp, just piano or a lot of sounds, portable or not. Considering the action, better to try it out in person. I have a Yamaha CVP-303 with graded hammer action which I really like, but others prefer Roland, Kawai or even Casio keyboard action and sounds.

Comment

If you are looking for true piano feel, get something with weighted keys. Not sure what your budget is, but this is a nice one to check out with a mid-low range price...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-Y...78-i1399208.gc

Comment

I have a Yamaha PF-80 Electronic Piano that I bought in 1986.

This puppy still works as advertised. It's got it's fair share of scratches & dents due to being shipped all over the world (No, I'm not a famous musician; I was in the Army) but it still plays well. All the jacks work. The original sustain pedal still does it's job.

What I'm saying is that (back in 86 at least) Yamaha made a quality product that so far has stood the test of time.
            David
            TD-9KX stock kit with extra PD-85 & CY8

Comment

Are you wanting a stage piano or a non movable piano? If its non moveable youwant I would recommend the Clavinova. It is a fantastic piano, feels fantastic and sounds just as good!

Comment

thanks to all for the responses from all

My wife wants something simple, she liked the simplicity of the Yamaha p85
                dgtlmn, we did look at the Yamaha 636, but she thought it was "too complicated. it seemed like a very nice keyboard, that's probably at the top of the budget

she doesn't want to mess with an amp (I might ), she doesn't want lots of other sounds (I might )

weighted keys, so we get a more realistic feel is something we'll go for , I think this and simplicity (I think this knocks out the Alesis synth)will be the two big factors for now

we aren't planning on moving it around, it will reside in the new music room as our son is on the cusp of moving out of the house

I'm just trying to avoid some GAS, maybe spend a little more to start with

eric thanks for the keyboard site, I'll lurk there a bit, learn some things.
                Michael

TD-12/Gibraltar rack/Pintech Concertcast drums 12" snare, 1 12" tom, 2 10" toms, 8" mesh kick, Visulite cymbals, 14" dual zone crash, 13" hi-hat, 18" 3 zone ride and 2 Dingbats, Roland PM-10, iPod, Zildjian anti-vibe sticks, Roc-N-Soc throne with backrest, Yamaha snare stand, Tama Iron Cobra pedal and HH75W hi-hat stand, Sennheiser HDR 110 wireless headphones. V-expressions 80's and 90's Giggin' Kits and Both Top 50 drummers (hopefully functional soon)

Comment

The clavinova sound exactly like what you are after, we have one in our dining room It has very few sounds unless you dive in to the depths of it, but it has, on the surface, about 3 very good sounds on each button, I was especially impressed with the Harpsichord. It even has a simple 3 track recorder on board if you are looking for something to play with, but you can just simply switch it on and play a piano http://clavinova.yamaha-europe.com/uk/index1.html

Comment

We got a yamaha dgx-625 it's more on the consumer end but the keyboard bed is fantastic and the grand piano samples are really nice. You can find alot of people playing this piano on youtube.

Whats nice about this is that it has a music training program for piano built in.

It has been replaced by the dgx-630 now. The piano has built in speakers and a usb connection to run over to your computer.

Anyhow check this model out. However I would second the clavinova as well. Nice piece of kit!

cheers
                    RJ
                    TD-9KX 3 X PD-125/ 2 X PD-105/ 4 X PD-85/KD-85/KD-120/KD-8/Cy-5/cy-8/3 X cy12R/C and 1 CY15R 2 X CY14C and a good ol VH-11!

Comment

That's a good question and most of what needed to be said has been said. Defintely get an 88-key with weighted keys. After that, budget takes over. The question that has not been asked....is she looking at branching out to "keyboarding" in contrast to playing the piano. If so, it might be worthwhile in looking at synths now instead of having to buy one later. Of course, if you wait, the y'all can blame keyboard GAS!
                      TD-12; TD-6V; FD-8; Hart Pro Toms, Snare, Bass; ECII hihat, crashes, splash & ride; Smartrigger crashes & china; Hart Hammer Pad; Pintech Dingbat; Iron Cobra double-bass.

"I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

Generally good advice from the guys so far.

* 88 keys and weighted keys (or at least half weighted) definitely
                        * MIDI in and out (proper MIDI, not just USB)

The Yamaha is really good instrument - standalone and has all the above features.

I have an M-Audio ProKeys 88 which is an excellent instrument, (better key weighting and sounds, but it doesn't have a built in amp or spkrs).

Comment

We have the Yamaha PSR 2000
                          It's a portable piece of kit - no weighted keys though.

Comment

and Fed Ex delivered....

a Yamaha P-85, stand and 3 pedal unit

Thanks again for everyone's thoughts...

For us, right now, the P-85 is a good fit. It's main feature that we like is that it's simple. It's much like a real piano and with the weighted keys doesn't play like a toy. Hopefully the keyboard strain of GAs will spare us.

My wife just wanted a simple piano....the Yamaha we went with isn't all that expensive.
                            Michael

Comment

Working...
                            X