Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

decision/roland cy,yamaha pcy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• decision/roland cy,yamaha pcy

yesterday I was planning on an upgrade from Roland pd-9's to cy-8,cy R 15 3 zone.Today I inadvertently got exposed to the option of the Yamaha pcy cymbals.Evidently they need some tweaking, but other than that users seem pretty content with their acquisitions.The old cliche comes to mind you get what you pay for.The Yamaha are roughly half the cost.I was going to make a 70 mile trip to the nearest GS but called today and they do not carry the Yamaha's so I am hoping for some feedback from the forum.Considerations are playability,feel,wear,cost tweaking and any others I may not be mentioning.
    TD -10 EXP V-PRO, TD-12 module,HPD-15,SPD-30 ,SPD-SX dual trigger toms,upgraded V-cymbals Korg Karma,M-3, Pearl Eliminator DBL pedals,KD-120, Sonor Maple acoustic, Zildjian Cymbals
    Gene Krupa,Mitch Mitchell,Akira Jimbo,Milos Meier

I've been using a Yamaha PCY130 for some time now. I also have a Roland CY12 and to be honest I think the Yamaha is right up there with the Roland as far as build quality and playability is concerned. Only difference is that it has no 3-way triggering, which for anything but a ride cymbal shouldn't be a problem IMO.

Comment

I've been using the Yamaha PCY series (130s, 150s, 135s, 155s) for almost 2 years now. They feel great, look good and trigger fine. Other than the mention of not being to use them directly as a 3-zone ride (modification required-see this link http://www.diyedrums.com/main.php, they are well worth it.
      Raptor
      Hebrews 11:6

Roland spd-30, Simmons DA-200s monitor, JBL 515xt
      Ludwig 4-piece Club Date in silver sparkle
      Future Ekit (5 piece Jobeky kit in Bubinga fade with 2box module)

Comment

Well I think you know my answer from my PM, but the Yamaha's really are a bargain, and well worth it as they are every bit as good as the Rolands. The mod isn't too hard either if you need 3 zone, and would still cost you less than the difference in original price.

Comment

Originally posted by jgermanich View Post
          I've been using the Yamaha PCY series (130s, 150s, 135s, 155s) for almost 2 years now. They feel great, look good and trigger fine. Other than the mention of not being to use them directly as a 3-zone ride (modification required-see this link http://www.diyedrums.com/main.php, they are well worth it.

Yamaha PCY150S Cymbal Roland Conversions this article discusses the pcy150S I assume the Yamaha PCY155 - 15" 3 Zone Electronic Cymbal Pad needs the same conversion?
          TD -10 EXP V-PRO, TD-12 module,HPD-15,SPD-30 ,SPD-SX dual trigger toms,upgraded V-cymbals Korg Karma,M-3, Pearl Eliminator DBL pedals,KD-120, Sonor Maple acoustic, Zildjian Cymbals

Comment

Originally posted by logan View Post
            Yamaha PCY150S Cymbal Roland Conversions this article discusses the pcy150S I assume the Yamaha PCY155 - 15" 3 Zone Electronic Cymbal Pad needs the same conversion?

Exactly the same. The 155 is the mew model is all.

Comment

so the crashes provide bow and edge? 2 zone with chokability.
              Last edited by logan; 01-14-09, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Don't let that "you get what you pay for" siren song Roland subliminally pitches fool you in *this* case: The Yammie PCY cymbals are every bit as good and robust as Roland's CY 12/14/15 cymbals.

I typically try to give balanced perspectives on the equipment I've had experience with, pointing out the nuances of something. That being said, the Yammie PCY cymbals are without a doubt the best value for the money cymbals on the market today. Usual caveats apply: they're still big rubber disks (just like Rolands) so don't have the exact feel as "real" cymbals do, they do need tweaks if you want to get the ride to work.

And yes, the crashes are 2-zoners and chokable. I've posted on this before, several times. I even have an extensive settings post for the TD-10 that you'll find useful. Search for it.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
                TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

The PCY135 is now 3-zone, just like the PCY155. I got myself one of each (plus a RHH135) because I preferred the look feel of the Yamahas over the Rolands.

Comment

the pcy155 cymbal works great right out of the box with the roland modules bow/ bell but no edge unless modified. the rolands use 2 inputs for 3 way triggering and the yammies use only one. that is why the mod is needed.
                    as for the pcy 130;s and 135 crashes, you get bow/ edge. and are of very good quality next to rolands for half the price! no brainer.
                    GAS is more affordable with the yammies. 2 for 1.
                    the only thing i had to do is adjust the trigger sensitivity down a little.
                    Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

thank you everyone for your feedback. Back to my original post. I was planning on upgrading my PD-9's to CY-8 and a CY-15R.I am still leaning toward the CY-15R as I do not want to do the DIY,although I just did a successful upgrade "DIY" to my PD-100. As far as the CY-8 crashes I never considered the Yamaha PCY-13s. $60 difference for 2 is it worth it? One other consideration is someone mentioned maybe a new CY-16 with improved bell? NAMM

Comment

$60 difference for 2 is it worth it?
                        What part of "best ecymbal value on the planet" didn't you understand?

To repeat: yes, it's worth it.

Now, I totally understand the desire to not go the DIY route with the 155 or CY-15 but the 13x route? That's a no-brainer. Go Yamaha so you can buy more cymbals. Render made me say that.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
                        TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Originally posted by jammin777 View Post
                          the pcy155 cymbal works great right out of the box with the roland modules bow/ bell but no edge unless modified. the rolands use 2 inputs for 3 way triggering and the yammies use only one. that is why the mod is needed.
                          as for the pcy 130;s and 135 crashes, you get bow/ edge. and are of very good quality next to rolands for half the price! no brainer.
                          GAS is more affordable with the yammies. 2 for 1.
                          the only thing i had to do is adjust the trigger sensitivity down a little.
                          Thanks for this clarification. I was confused on whether the pcy155 yielded bow/bell or bow/edge on the Roland units. I think I'll probably pick one up now to use as a ride since I don't use the edge triggering for my ride. Then I can swap my cy14 over to crash duties.

x

Comment

Are the Yamaha cymbal arms and clamps compatible with a Roland rack?

x

Comment

Originally posted by grog View Post
                              What part of "best ecymbal value on the planet" didn't you understand?
                              Could you clarify that for me. I still don't get your point.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X