Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

FBT Amico 900- The Best Drum Monitor Ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FBT Amico 900- The Best Drum Monitor Ever

This was my dilemma. Once you have heard e-drums (or mic'd acoustics for that matter) through a killer PA with a beefy sub, you can't ever go back to listening smaller personal monitors again. I used to have an RCF ART 315A that sounded great for monitoring, home practice, and had just enough oomph to be a drum sound source for a small to mid sized room. Then I got an excellent deal on a used 700 Watt QFC powered sub and two 400 watt powered two way speakers. Oh my gooood!!! Even at lower volumes, the drums just sounded like a completely different instrument. I used one speaker with a sub for live sound source, and the other speaker to monitor. Also, this set up had enough beef to easily function as a sole PA for a small to mid-sized room. It worked great for everyone playing direct. What was the downside? Weight. This stuff is huge. Hauling it and my drum stuff just wasn't in the cards for the long term.

The good folks over at RMC turned me on to the FBT Amico line a while back. I finally ordered the FBT Amico 900. This setup has a 600 watt powered sub that also drives a pair of 150 watt two way satellites which store conveniently inside it. The whole thing together weighs around 100 lbs, but it has big beefy wheels and an integrated handle. The set comes with stands and 20 foot cables for the sats. There is also a convenient little three band eq on the sub, so you can really just plug a drum module straight in. How does it sound? Fantastic. I used this on a gig Saturday and got a steady stream of compliments about how great the drums sounded. As a drum monitor, this is absolute overkill, but it doesn't take up much more room than usual powered speakers we are all using. For drum amplification live, you could confidently use it on stage in a very large room. It is also plenty loud enough to use as a small PA in small to mid sized rooms. It is not quite as loud as the QSC set up I had, but it is a million times more portable and cleaner. Lets talk about sound. This rig is clean and balanced. Using it for a rehearsal with everyone going direct is a joy. If you need more than this on stage, you are likely going to be going through the FOH anyway. The bass is a touch tighter than the birch cabinet QSC sub I have, but it doesn't give up anything in the low end. The sats are incredibly clean and loud for their size. I am thrilled. This is the same speakers and drivers that are in the Amico 1000 but without the mixer. If you need the mixer, it might be worth extra dough for that one to have an amazingly portable and compact system. My QSC stuff is great, but it really should be in a permanent installation or used as a band PA. This FBT Amico 900 was made to be moved on a regular basis.

I replied in another area about this. Ironically,I have a QSC powered sub and want something smaller. Did you have the 18" or the 15" qsc? If this is close to the volume of the 15" QSC,then I will be getting one of these too. What did it cost?

Thanks,Peter

Comment

Thanks for the review. It amazing how much better things can be with a good sub. You definitely put the Amico on my radar.
      sigpic

Comment

It ain't cheap tho. Whew, if I could afford that....I'd be a professional.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
        TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Peter W View Post
          I replied in another area about this. Ironically,I have a QSC powered sub and want something smaller. Did you have the 18" or the 15" qsc? If this is close to the volume of the 15" QSC,then I will be getting one of these too. What did it cost?

Thanks,Peter
          I have the 15". I would say the FBT is 90% of the volume of the birch cabinet QSC. I paid about $1500 from my favorite online retailer.
          Last edited by Jovato; 02-18-09, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by grog View Post
            It ain't cheap tho. Whew, if I could afford that....I'd be a professional.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
            I paid about $1500 from the good folks I mentioned above. I paid a fair bit more than that for the QSC stuff I have. The FBT is on the pricey side, but the design and quality are top notch. For me, it is replacing even more expensive gear and is considerably more portable. It I was using this stuff solely as mains in a mid sized room, then I'd keep the QSC for the extra volume they can throw. I use this as drum sound source, rehearsal PA, and mains in small to mid sized rooms. It is considerably more versatile for me. You know, I still haven't sold the QSC stuff yet. Today I'll set them up side by side with the AMICO and compare output levels. FYI, the sats are much cleaner than a Mackie 350 or JBL Eons IMHO. YMMV.

Comment

I just thought I'd post a quick follow up. I have indeed sold all of my QSC gear and am using the Amico 900 exclusively. I couldn't be happier. I haven't missed the QSC stuff at all either for volume or sound quality. I certainly haven't missed their size. The Amico 900 is so easy to move around. I highly recommend this setup for anyone who actually takes their kit out of their house.

Comment

Working...
              X