Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Zildjian Dip Series Sticks - First Impressions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zildjian Dip Series Sticks - First Impressions...

As I am a little prone to stick slippage while playing, I thought I'd give the Zildjian Dip Sticks a try to see if they help at all.

For those who don't know of them they are a range of sticks with a special dip coating over the bottom half to aid grip. They can be seen here:

http://www.zildjian.com/en-US/produc...eID=0&typeID=0

As I use Vic Firth 5A's at the moment, I went for the direct equivalent stick in the Zildjian, with wood tips and a black dip, which looks rather nice with the gold Zildjian logo embossed on it.
    Directly comparing the sticks the Zildjians have a much larger and more pronounced oval to the tip, which I actually found to be nicer for triggering the Hart's, especially the snare. No idea why this would be, but there is a definite difference with the snare picking up a lot more subtle strokes than with the Firths.
    Weight wise they seem to be very slightly heavier too, not that they should be, but I hazard a guess that a different grade of Hickory may be in use, either way they are finely balanced as a pair.
    Now on to the main difference, the dip.
    On first holding them they certainly feel "sticky" (no pun intended) but not tacky if you see what I mean. It's a rubber or silicon type of material that they are dipped in.
    Does it make a difference? YES! Quite a big difference to be honest. Not once did I suffer any slippage, and in fact, I didn't drop a stick either (unusual!). I deliberately tried playing holding the sticks at the very bottom between finger and thumb, and no slippage still, so it definitely works, but does not hamper subtle nuances of playing in the slightest.
    They may be one downside though. My finger (hi-hat hand) is a little sore where the stick rubs your finger when playing hi-hat. This is obviously because the dip material has higher friction than a plain stick. Whether this is a long term thing I don't know, I played for about 90 minutes today, but I will report back later when I've played for much longer, as I suspect I will just get used to it anyway, and it will no longer be a problem.
    Overall then. Nicely made, well balanced and do what they are supposed to do, prevent slippage. Well worth a try if you have similar problems, don't like gloves/wraps, or would just like to improve your stick grip a little.

i used a pair for a while but found i did develop blisters more as the grip was sticking a little too much, but they did feel great, super secure.

Comment

I like and use them as well. But the "dip" will chip with all sticks .... and no rarely I have to use the vacuum cleaner to clear the black bits and pieces from my pads.

Pim
      Roland TD50, Roland PM30 and KC 550 Studio Capture /Dell XPS I7 32GB RAM Reaper,Superior Drummer,BFD3 (all exp. packs),SSD5 Ezdrummer 2, XLN Addictive Drums

Comment

I use 'em too....just don't let some knucklehead play your kit using the butts...nasty marks on the white mesh...
        chris :D

Comment

I picked up a pair of these since I was also having some issues dropping sticks. As far as that goes these work great. But I'm having major issues with friction and blisters. Not so much on my left hand but they are eating my right hand alive. Fast tempo songs are especially bad for me now. I'm not sure I'll be able to adapt to the coating.
          Roland TD12 Stage Set
          http://www.youtube.com/SoloDrumming

Comment

I usually just get stick wrap from Vic Firth, Pro Mark, or Vater. I have permanent calluses (spelling?) on both hands - thumbs & pointer finger insides from them. So playing for 5-6 hours doesn't bother me in the least. Since going back to lesson's the past 6 months now every week and working almost strictly on technique I've learned to go back to just a normal stick now and I'm not dropping them at all, but either way works great.
            Check out my NEW eBay Store: V-Drum Emporium!

Comment

Originally posted by AdamCooney View Post
              I usually just get stick wrap from Vic Firth, Pro Mark, or Vater.
              I was having some grip issues several months ago and tried several options, including experimenting with gloves for a while. Once I tried the Vater grip tape, I was hooked. I've found it to be really comfortable and it has solved all my troubles.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vater-Gr...63-i1170270.gc
              >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

Nice review
                i use vater finger and stick tape
                Ex E-kits:
                ''Lernean Hydra'' ( a bounche of roland pads with a td-6 module)
                ''Lucy'' (Diamond electronic drums with a td-12 module)
                current E-kit
                ''Cherry Gretschy Lady'' (Gretsch Catalina Ash 6 piece A to E kit-Roland td20 module-A to E cymbals)

A-kit
                " Mrs.Catalina'' (Gretsch Catalina maple 6 piece kit-Paiste signature+Masterwork custom made cymbals)

check out a few videos http://www.youtube.com/user/hampisdrums

Comment

Wow, old topic bumped nicely!
                  I only use them occasionally now. My technique and grip have changed (or I have changed them) and I rarely drop a stick now. I did find them very harsh on the skin as I originally mentioned.

Comment

i only just came across this thread - i've really been thinking of getting the dipped sticks lately, thanks for the heads up big kev!

Videos

The Dust Revival Band

Spinifex Rose

Kristy Lewis and the Wretched

Wayfaring Strangers

Comment

i use Wilson's H2OVERGRIP, from tennis racket. Here in Saudi Arabia, accessories are scarce, even individual pads or cymbals are not available. You need to buy the whole kit.

Comment

Originally posted by V(ader)DRUMMER View Post
                        I was having some grip issues several months ago and tried several options, including experimenting with gloves for a while. Once I tried the Vater grip tape, I was hooked. I've found it to be really comfortable and it has solved all my troubles.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vater-Gr...63-i1170270.gc
                        I don't have any trouble with dropping my sticks (except when I accidentally hit a cymbal from underneath, but that's not because of the stick being slippery xD), but I get a lot of injuries on my hands when playing for prolonged periods of times (like scars and stuff), could this possibly help?

Comment

I like the Zil dipsticks but they don't hold up well on acoustic drums and cymbals. I use Pro Marks and hockey tape. You'll callous up in the right spots after a couple weeks...believe me...I play somewhat fast.
                          E - TDW-20/Axis AL Pedals/Promark 707's
                          A - Pearl Reference in Twilight Fade w/Black HW/Axis ALCB's/Evans G2's over G1's/Zildjian & Sabian Cymbals/Promark 707's

Comment

Originally posted by Simpan View Post
                            I don't have any trouble with dropping my sticks (except when I accidentally hit a cymbal from underneath, but that's not because of the stick being slippery xD), but I get a lot of injuries on my hands when playing for prolonged periods of times (like scars and stuff), could this possibly help?
                            Yes, I think this would help you. I wasn't dropping sticks either. My trouble was that I was blistering a lot on my hands. For several months there, due to work and family obligations, I wasn't getting to practice regularly enough to keep my callouses up. I'd go for a long time without playing, then play for hours and hours at a time when I'd have the chance. It was killing my hands. But, the Vater grip tape did the trick.

Best of luck.
                            >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

Working...
                            X