Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Gibraltar snare stand for PD 105?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibraltar snare stand for PD 105?

I'm looking at the Gibraltar 6600 snare stand for my PD 105:

http://www.gibraltarhardware.com/?fa...sid=373&cid=70

Has anyone used this successfully/unsuccessfully with the PD 105 or other 10" snare?
    Will

TD-9 + VH-11 + PD-105 + 3 PD-85's w/PDX-8 mounted as kick, Superior Drummer 2.2, Logic 9

I know this is not the Gibraltar snare stand that you are asking about. But, I find this Tama snare (HL70WN) stand to be perfect for the Roland PD-105 or 125.

http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/world/dist...me_canada.html

I paid roughly $90 Canadian for it!

Cheers,

JP

Comment

I have a Mapex snare stand for my 10" Acupad snare, and it's perfect. Using a stand gives you so much more freedom when positioning. It helps with triggering too.

Comment

Update: I took my PD 105 to a local store and tried out the 6600's little brother, the 5606. It worked pretty well. The only potential drawback is that in order to hold a 10" snare, the basket needs to be cranked up and this raises the lowest possible height, perhaps too high for what I need. I noticed, however, that the Gibraltar specs say that the 5606 lowers to 15" while the 6600 lowers to 14". So, I ended up ordering the 6600, on the hope that the basket configuration will hold a 10" as well as the 5606 did and that the 6600's lower height might compensate for having to crank the basket up.

I'll post another update when I get the 6600.
        Will

TD-9 + VH-11 + PD-105 + 3 PD-85's w/PDX-8 mounted as kick, Superior Drummer 2.2, Logic 9

Comment

In case you don't like the Gibraltar stand, the Pearl 900 series snare stand will hold a 10" snare perfectly, and I was able to set it as low as the snare in my A kit (and I set the snare pretty low as I use the traditional grip).

My eDrums thread

My acoustic drums

Comment

OK, I received the 6600 stand. It does NOT work well with a 10" snare. The minimum height of the bottom of the snare when the basket is cracked up to hold a 10" snare is 21". That's 4"-5" higher than I want. And that's with all shafts as low as they will go and the feet as far out (low) as they go. It could go another inch lower, but that would require taking off a Gibraltar sticker on one of the shafts and I'm not going to do that since I need to return it.

Forgive the rant, but I'm a bit pissed at Gibraltar for not answering any of my multiple emails asking about this product. They have no phone number, so email is the only way to reach them. Now, I have to mail this stand back. What really gets to me is that the 5606 is described as going down to 15" while the 6600 is described as going down to 14". That may be true with the basket flat, but something in the basket configuration makes a 10" snare ride MUCH higher in the 6600. Maybe the 6600 accommodates wider snares, so that you have to crack the basket higher to fit a 10". Of course, that info is not available anywhere. Grrr...

I'm going to check out the Pearl 900 and maybe get it or the 5606, which is like a 1/4" or so higher than I want. Maybe I can just deal with that, but I'm kind of souring on Gibraltar now (I have and like one of their thrones).

I'll update as events warrant.
            Will

Comment

So, I tried the 6600 again, and this time I put my DIY hat on and got much better results. I did two things, and now it works pretty well:

1. I removed the memory lock ring since it was adding a half inch and I would be keeping it at the lowest position anyway. When I did this, I could also now slide the top shaft all the way into the base shaft, including the area with the aforementioned Gibraltar sticker. So, boom, I took off two inches with that.

2. I realized that the PD 105 already has a rubber rim on the bottom, so I didn't really need the snare to rest on the black rubber part of the arms. I lowered the basket and then lying the snare's rubber rim on the metal of the arms, I tightened the basket until the just the bottom part of the black rubber part of the arms gripped the sides of the snare. I think I took off another 1.5 inches with that.

So, with 3.5 inches off, it's now a happy (if slightly abused) member of my kit.
              Will

Comment

See the pics in my sig for the new setup using the 6600 snare stand.
                Will

Comment

Working...
                X