Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Noob questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob questions

I'm completely new to drumming and looking to buy my first kit. I decided to go with electronic drums, and then found this great site. I've been lurking for a while but I'm starting to come up with some questions.

First, does anyone have rough dimensions for the size of a TD-20 kit? I am really strapped for space in my house and I'm wondering if it's even feasible to fit the big kit in my house. Can the rack be easily folded into a smaller space when not in use?

Also, if I decide to go with something like megadrum and a computer setup running S2.0 instead of a module, is a TD-20 kit still the best bet, or should I look at Hart or Pintech or someone else? Do they sell the TD-20 without a module? Are the cymbals in the Hart StudioMaster kits comparable to the Roland's?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

I would say that, very roughly, you should block out 5-6 feet width for the kit. 4-6 feet for its depth.

If you're running a computer VST setup as you describe, you do not need a TD-20 kit. You need a MIDI controller. Search in here for the nuances of that.

Brand of drum be it Hart, Pintech or Roland, won't matter...unless you go with something like the Alesis I/O which has problems with one brand (I don't recall, search in here, there's a loooooong thread on the I/O).

Comparable cymbals are a bit like apples and oranges. Roland cymbals (and Yamahas for that matter) are thickish rubber things. Pintech cymbals are plastic with rubber pads where you hit. They typically need an aquarian spring to feel "right". Newer Hart cymbals are real cymbals, ie, they're metal. They also have a rubber pad where you hit. They'll swing more realistically than the others.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
    TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

well, the _exact_ dimensions, according to roland, are:

Width 1,700 mm 66-15/16 inches
      Depth 1,400 mm 55-1/8 inches
      Height 1,250 mm 49-1/4 inches
      Weight 48.2 kg 106 lbs. 5 oz.
      http://www.roland.com/products/en/TD-20K/specs.html
      TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
      ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
      not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Thanks for the dimensions. Is there any easy way to fold in the sides of the kit to make it narrower for storage?

Comment

Originally posted by Ruiner46 View Post
          Thanks for the dimensions. Is there any easy way to fold in the sides of the kit to make it narrower for storage?
          if you go to the link i gave, you can see what the set up looks like...and there is even a brouchure you can download that gives a overhead view of the layout...it looks though like you would have to do a certain amount of removing components like the module and some of the cymbals to fold things up...luckily the snare and the hihat of the 20 are on separate stands, so at least they are out of the way...I know they advertise the smallest set, the td-3 as being able to be folded flat with things still attached...
          TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
          ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
          not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Working...
          X