Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Best drum sticks for playing metal on Roland TD-20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best drum sticks for playing metal on Roland TD-20

So I just bought my 1st vdrum kit (TD-20) and am wondering what metal drummers using this kit are using for drum sticks. I have typically used 3A, 5A and 5B with nylon tips for my acoustic drums in the past in order to be loud enough and fast at the same time but am not so sure what are the best sticks to use with the vdrums where I don't have to hit as hard to generate "loudness".

Any suggestions?

I suggest sticking with 5A/5B nylon tip, but dropping the 3As. The drums would probably endure them, but the cymbal edges may not.

Bruce

Comment

What about using 7A and 8D, or for that matter the "esticks"? Would any light stick with long reach be perfect for the vdrums?

Comment

Yes, I would have suggested something like that, but I thought you might shy away from them, being used to heavier sticks.

Bruce

Comment

I use Vic Firth Rock Sticks (nylon tip), but I am partial to heavy sticks.
          TD-12; TD-6V; FD-8; Hart Pro Toms, Snare, Bass; ECII hihat, crashes, splash & ride; Smartrigger crashes & china; Hart Hammer Pad; Pintech Dingbat; Iron Cobra double-bass.

"I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

For years I used Regal Tip 7As on my ekit but I switched a couple years ago to SD4 maple sticks (Pro-Mark Bruford sig). They're a little smaller than 5As but I think the lightness of maple makes all the difference. There's just no need to bash edrums.

The only problem with them is they have a small wood tip and it tends to chip after a while. I am planning on the trying the Vic Firth version with nylon tips (SD4N). Same length but very slightly larger diameter (Pro-Mark does not make a nylon tip version).

Comment

esticks ?

what are esticks ?

Comment

Originally posted by fotoman68 View Post
                what are esticks ?
                http://www.vicfirth.com/products/ESTICK.html

But see also Zildjian Trigger Stick

Bruce

Comment

I agree with the 5A/B nylon tip suggestion. Also, you might like the Ahead versions of those. I've used the Ahead 5B Limiteds for about 8 years now. I'm only on my second pair. (first pair was used on A's as well)
                  Alan
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

For what it's worth, I've used the Vic Firth eSticks quite a bit and really like them, though I've been using a pair of Zildjian antivibes over the past couple of months. I'm looking forward to trying out the Zildjian Trigger Stick as it looks like it might be the best of both worlds.
                    >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

Personally I use 2 sets of sticks for both my A kit and my E kit and I do a lot of tech metal drumming and progressive kind of stuff, as well as lighter rock/jazzy/funk/fusion, really anything. My main set of sticks is the Vic Firth 5A's, I use wood tip for both kits. I always use stick wrap on any sticks I have too (it's like a night and day difference with sticks not flying out of my hands). But back to sticks...

I was using the Vic Firth 5A regular ones with the teardrop shaped tip, until I came across ones they make that are spec'd exactly the same as the 5A's, but with a round tip which is exactly what I want as I always end up breaking the tip's before I acutally break the stick, but with the round I get better response and never end up breaking them.

I also use the Dave Weckll Vir Firth signature series. They're spec'd like the 5A's with round tips just a TINY bit heavier, but enough where it makes a difference. I love playing with these to build up endurance/speed for excercies then going back to my 5A's and notice the huge difference. I use both sticks for both kits. You get a lot more rebound on the mesh heads too so you don't need anything too heavy, I hate super heavy sticks personally.
                      Check out my NEW eBay Store: V-Drum Emporium!

Comment

Firth 5A's here too, and I'm waiting for some Zildjian Dip Stick 5a's to arrive to try out.
                        I'll post my opinion on them later.

Comment

Originally posted by KevH View Post
                          Firth 5A's here too, and I'm waiting for some Zildjian Dip Stick 5a's to arrive to try out.
                          I'll post my opinion on them later.

Im all about the 5a/b Zildjian Dip Sticks....but tell me something......

Mesh Heads....wood or nylon??...or does it matter as far as wear is concerned?

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________

Comment

I've been using the Vic Firth ST4N for over a month now and love them. I dip the butt ends in gloss polyurethane because I like that feel (not quite as slick).

Maple sticks are the way to go with an e-kit.

Comment

So...no preference between wood or nylon tips?

Why Maple.. compared to Hickory?

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________

Comment

Working...
                              X