Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Alesis D4 - Good for beginners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alesis D4 - Good for beginners?

Hey all, as you can see I just joined this forum. I'm completely new to drums and am looking for a good starter electronic set. I know the general consensus is wait for a TD-3, but I just don't have that kind of cash laying around at the moment. I've been searching craigslist and now I see an Alesis D4 kit for $200 in my area.

Yes, it's old, and yes, it's no TD-3, but do you think it will get the job done? For only $200 it sounded like too nice of a deal to pass up. I might be jumping the gun a bit as I haven't even taken my first lesson. Should I just try and get by without my own set of drums for a while until I can (hopefully) purchase a nicer set? Or is having a drum set while starting off a big help?

Guess this turned into an inquiry on personal takes on beginning drums... sorry if I should have posted this elsewhere and I appreciate the help!

This is the link to the sale btw... I'd have to email him about a rack I think: http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/msg/981042576.html

The Alesis kit might be nice to have around to give the kids something to bang on to keep them off your stuff, but it won't take a serious drummer very far, IMO.
    Id rather be told the ugly truth than handed a pretty lie.

Comment

Originally posted by SShah View Post
      Hey all, as you can see I just joined this forum. I'm completely new to drums and am looking for a good starter electronic set. I know the general consensus is wait for a TD-3, but I just don't have that kind of cash laying around at the moment. I've been searching craigslist and now I see an Alesis D4 kit for $200 in my area.

Yes, it's old, and yes, it's no TD-3, but do you think it will get the job done? For only $200 it sounded like too nice of a deal to pass up. I might be jumping the gun a bit as I haven't even taken my first lesson. Should I just try and get by without my own set of drums for a while until I can (hopefully) purchase a nicer set? Or is having a drum set while starting off a big help?

Guess this turned into an inquiry on personal takes on beginning drums... sorry if I should have posted this elsewhere and I appreciate the help!

This is the link to the sale btw... I'd have to email him about a rack I think: http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/msg/981042576.html
      First off, Welcome to Vdrums. As for the kit in that craigslist pic, just to let you know those are DIY (do-it-yourself) drum triggers. Most likely made similar to the plans from this site: http://www.electronicdrums.com/pads/pads2.htm.
      Yes, sometimes it is expensive to buy Roland drums, but there are other options for the starter edrummer. Check online music stores and search for electronic drums and see what you get back. There is also eBay.
      alesisDRUMMER.com

Comment

Yea, I didn't even pick up on the fact that they were DIY drum triggers. I'm back to leaning towards just sitting down with a practice pad and not worrying about a kit yet.... definitely a lot I need to learn before I go off spending my money haha. Thanks for the quick responses!

Comment

I have a d4, there are 12 trigger inputs in the back!. So you can slave it to alot of things. The samples are 48 k and do sound "okay".

( I used to think they sounded pretty good till I bought a Roland td9kx)

Anyhow, for the kids it's pretty good, There's midi of course so you can set it up with a sequencer on your PC if you have a midi interface card.

I paid $125.00 for mine and it is mint!

I did manage to find the manuals on the net as well.

cheers
          RJ
          TD-9KX 3 X PD-125/ 2 X PD-105/ 4 X PD-85/KD-85/KD-120/KD-8/Cy-5/cy-8/3 X cy12R/C and 1 CY15R 2 X CY14C and a good ol VH-11!

Comment

Originally posted by SShah View Post
            Yea, I didn't even pick up on the fact that they were DIY drum triggers. I'm back to leaning towards just sitting down with a practice pad and not worrying about a kit yet.... definitely a lot I need to learn before I go off spending my money haha. Thanks for the quick responses!
            I was playing my practice pad for 3 months before I got my kit. When the kit came in it puts a great smile on your face when you make a roll and it sounds great!

cheers
            RJ
            TD-9KX 3 X PD-125/ 2 X PD-105/ 4 X PD-85/KD-85/KD-120/KD-8/Cy-5/cy-8/3 X cy12R/C and 1 CY15R 2 X CY14C and a good ol VH-11!

Comment

Working...
            X