Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Which should I choose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which should I choose?

Hello everybody!

Now it is so that I live in a apartment and therefor i cannot have acoustic drums to play on so I'm looking for a cheap V-Drum kit for practising and I've narrowed it down to 2: Roland HD-1 or the Simmons SD7K (the Medeli DD506 as it's called here).

But I'm not sure which one is the better one to buy, some would say Roland because of the brand that's more famous and known for quality, but I made a Pros-and-Cons-list over the two sets. I would also be greatful if someone could write a little about their personal experiences with any of the kits.

Roland HD-1:
    + Better feeling in the pads
    + Sound Quality
    + Very Portable
    - Seems kinda fragile to me
    - The price (recently want up 7%)
    - No actuall pedals

Simmons SD7K (Medeli DD506):
    + Price
    + More features (choke cymbals, dual triggered cymbals & snare, more sounds)
    + Sturdy
    + Includes headphones, sticks, throne & pedal from where I'll buy it.
    - Kinda dead feeling in the pads (not much rebound or anything).
    - Poorer sound quality

As for the sound quality then it doesn't matter that much since i own a laptop with both EZDrummer and Addictive Drums so I'll be using it as the soundmodule mostly.

I have no actuall experience with the HD-1 since there's no shop nereby that has anyone up for trying purpouse so I'll be greatful for every piece of info you can give me.

Which one should I choose?

Hej M!

i thought you has already bought your kit! too bad...but you know the rumour is that roland might release a new small kit to replace the td-3, which might mean you can get a good deal left over td 3s soon...

the problems with the two kits you mention are tha tthe hd-1 is very limited and cant be upgraded...and might not be that easy to sell later, and the medeli kit - based on my experience with the similar ion kit - is that the sound quality is poor and the build quiality is even worse. also the medeli was reveiwed in the Studio magazine and received very bad marks...

I still say that the best choice is to drum into your pillow and save up money for the td3.....
    TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
    ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
    not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Originally posted by saku View Post
      Hej M!

i thought you has already bought your kit! too bad...but you know the rumour is that roland might release a new small kit to replace the td-3, which might mean you can get a good deal left over td 3s soon...

the problems with the two kits you mention are tha tthe hd-1 is very limited and cant be upgraded...and might not be that easy to sell later, and the medeli kit - based on my experience with the similar ion kit - is that the sound quality is poor and the build quiality is even worse. also the medeli was reveiwed in the Studio magazine and received very bad marks...

I still say that the best choice is to drum into your pillow and save up money for the td3.....
      Ok, but about these rumours about the so called TD-4, are they confirmed in any ways at all? All I know is that one site had them available for pre-ordering but no more? woul be nice to know what price they will land on.
      But yeah, probably there will be some good deals on TD-3's eventually, SVK has a deal for a TD-3 for about 8000kr but I'd still need pedal, throne and all that so it's still quite expensive..

Comment

I had HD-1 for 6 months and sold it few weeks ago because of GAS (will have my TD9KX next sunday) :-) If you're choosing between the two you mentioned, I'd go for HD-1. It's a great piece of kit and the limited sounds it has are very good. You get used to the string pedals. You shouldn't compare HD-1 to anything because it's actually a unique, new kind of instrument, a fusion between electric drums and bicycle, kind of.

The only problem there was with triggering the external sounds with the HD-1 was the hi-hat. Nothing wrong with the hihat (CY-5) generally, but as you know you cannot edit the sounds or pad properties in HD-1. The problem with the hi-hat was the point where the closed hi-hat switches to open hi-hat, the moving range was way too narrow and it was quite difficult to play. That is one of the reasons I switched to TD-9. I used Yamaha Motif as a midi receiver. I don't know the softwares you are using but maybe it's possible to adjust the switching point at receiving end?

As Saku mentioned above, HD-1 is also a bit difficult to upgrade. You can upgrade the cymbals, snare and module for all the pads except kick, because kick uses different kind of triggering.

I was very happy with the HD-1 but eventually the need for double trigger pads arised and here I am, the soon to be owner of TD-9. However, if Roland would make a HD-2 with the same rack, double triggering pads and cymbals and a module like TD-9, I'd change back. I like the HD-1s stylish design and compact size. It's great for small home studio. Actually I don't need the TD-9, I just wanted it :-)
        Last edited by tuquoque; 01-01-09, 03:37 PM.
        - tuquoque

Comment

You could buy a TD-3-Set, sell the TD-3 module and buy the TD-9 module and use this one as your drum brain...

Comment

Originally posted by M.Schwartz View Post
            Ok, but about these rumours about the so called TD-4, are they confirmed in any ways at all? All I know is that one site had them available for pre-ordering but no more? woul be nice to know what price they will land on.
            But yeah, probably there will be some good deals on TD-3's eventually, SVK has a deal for a TD-3 for about 8000kr but I'd still need pedal, throne and all that so it's still quite expensive..
            The winter NAMM is only a couple of weeks away, which would be a logical launch point (there is also the musikmesse in frankfurt in march)...so waiting till the 21st or so might be a good idea. the td4 will probably be priced at just a bit above a td3, so out of your reach, but it might result in left over td-3 kits being sold at reduced prices...and more td3s coming up on tradera and blocket...

Comment

Just talked to drum boss at 4sound in Gothenburg, Marcus (it was Marcus, wasnt it, not Michael?)...He says given your interest, that under no circumstances get the Medeli, as its really poor...that the cheapest Yamaha explorer now sells for under 6000 kr, and that if you come in with me, he can sell you a td3 with throne, headphones, pedals etc for under 10.000, and just the td3 for 8000.

Comment

Originally posted by saku View Post
                Just talked to drum boss at 4sound in Gothenburg, Marcus (it was Marcus, wasnt it, not Michael?)...He says given your interest, that under no circumstances get the Medeli, as its really poor...that the cheapest Yamaha explorer now sells for under 6000 kr, and that if you come in with me, he can sell you a td3 with throne, headphones, pedals etc for under 10.000, and just the td3 for 8000.

Sounds great, thanks for looking it up for me!
                Problem is that I live near Stockholm so I'll probably buy a used TD-3 or wait untill Musikbörsen or Slagverkskompaniet comes with a good deal on the kit, Slagverkskompaniet just went down on the price for the TD-3 so it's on 7999kr for the set, butn o throne or anything.
                But still I'm a bit confused, they go down on the price when roland prices go up 7%...
                Anyways, better just wait then? I guess I'll have to keep practicing on my mousepad (yes it IS a good practicepad^^) and wait for a good deal then.

And It's Mikael, as for the name :P you can add me on [email protected] if you want.

Cheers!

Comment

Sounds great, thanks for looking it up for me!
                  Problem is that I live near Stockholm so I'll probably buy a used TD-3 or wait untill Musikbörsen or Slagverkskompaniet comes with a good deal on the kit, Slagverkskompaniet just went down on the price for the TD-3 so it's on 7999kr for the set, butn o throne or anything.
                  But still I'm a bit confused, they go down on the price when roland prices go up 7%...
                  Anyways, better just wait then? I guess I'll have to keep practicing on my mousepad (yes it IS a good practicepad^^) and wait for a good deal then.

And It's Mikael, as for the name :P you can add me on [email protected] if you want.

Cheers!
                  They went down on the price to get rid of them, since as soon as the td4 is released (and it seems more and more likely that there will be an announcement at the winter namm, or musikmesse at the latest), the 3's will not sell...But I had to borrow money hurriedly to buy some boss stuff before the shop raised the price on the 1st of January...and couldnt get that pd 125 I wanted before that price also went up....and Fender stuff also went up 10% on the 29th December...

by the way, might be a good idea to edit your last post and change the email address to
                  mikaelschwartz snabel hotmail'....the way you have it, spambots can find it on this forum and add you to their lists, and you end up with lots more spam.....

Comment

Hello everybody!

Now it is so that I live in a apartment and therefor i cannot have acoustic drums to play on so I'm looking for a cheap V-Drum kit for practising and I've narrowed it down to 2: Roland HD-1 or the Simmons SD7K (the Medeli DD506 as it's called here).

But I'm not sure which one is the better one to buy, some would say Roland because of the brand that's more famous and known for quality, but I made a Pros-and-Cons-list over the two sets. I would also be greatful if someone could write a little about their personal experiences with any of the kits.

Roland HD-1:
                    + Better feeling in the pads
                    + Sound Quality
                    + Very Portable
                    - Seems kinda fragile to me
                    - The price (recently want up 7%)
                    - No actuall pedals

Simmons SD7K (Medeli DD506):
                    + Price
                    + More features (choke cymbals, dual triggered cymbals & snare, more sounds)
                    + Sturdy
                    + Includes headphones, sticks, throne & pedal from where I'll buy it.
                    - Kinda dead feeling in the pads (not much rebound or anything).
                    - Poorer sound quality

As for the sound quality then it doesn't matter that much since i own a laptop with both EZDrummer and Addictive Drums so I'll be using it as the soundmodule mostly.

I have no actuall experience with the HD-1 since there's no shop nereby that has anyone up for trying purpouse so I'll be greatful for every piece of info you can give me.

Which one should I choose?
                    Are you able to get the new Simmons SD9K where you are at? It has gotten better reviews than the SD7K. It also has more features and more pads. Here is a link:
                    http://www.simmonsdrums.net/
                    alesisDRUMMER.com

Comment

Working...
                    X