Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Which Would Be The Better Way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SterlingRush
    replied
    Thank you very much for the replys guys, I've found some very helpfull info in this thread, and this forum, over the past couple of days. It is very much appreciated, since this is no small expense. And you guys are educating a fellow drummer brotha, lol. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Hellfire
    replied
    Originally posted by SterlingRush View Post
    The main idea for getting involved in adding a couple of pads, is pretty simple. We use in ear monitors, and I was looking at something where I can use it to count off the tempo of a song or count during break points within a song, so I don't have to use the hi-hat. Kind of like a silent count, only heard by the band members through the in ears. Program a cowbell sound or something of the sorts.
    If you are still considering this, at $299.99 you might want to look into this:
    Simmons Hybrid Electronic Drum Kit

Leave a comment:

• stickinthemud
    replied
    None of the Roland modules provide sampling capabilities or importation of external sounds. The Yamaha DTXT3 and DTXTREME IIS do, but I don't know how suitable they would be for your application.

If you want to play samples using a Roland module, you will have to use a stand-alone sampler and trigger it via MIDI connection through the module. Most drummers prefer the Roland SPD-S, although a less expensive alternative that is more portable and is great for field sampling (if you're into that) is the Roland SP404.

Roland's most advanced module (the TD20) still supports all of its older pads and hihat pedals, so compatibility going forward should not be a problem.

Leave a comment:

• SterlingRush
    replied
    Appreciate the reply MR, I think I've made the decission to get a full set up. But now that brings up a few more questions, since I'm not familiar with what the backs of these modules have.

Going with a full kit, this is what I'm looking to get from it:
    -Roland module(of some sort)
    -2 rack toms(hopefully mesh)
    -2 floor toms(hopefully mesh)
    -1 snare(hopefully mesh)
    -1 upright kick pad(big enough for double kick pedal)
    -2 crash pads
    -1 hi-hat
    -1 ride
    -Minimal 2(or 1 split) aux channels for pads mounted on acoustic kit.

And then, I would like to know which module(if any) can I upload my own sounds to? I have plenty of software on my PC to create .wav files or .mp3s, but is it possible to introduce new sounds/music to these? And final question for now, if I find a deal on a set, and want to upgrade to a different module later, are the pads/triggers universal for the switch?

Like I said, I'm new to this concept and looking to gain as much info as possible. Thanks to anyone/everyone that can help.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Render
    replied
    Using any module you can do a few things to split the sounds. The TD-20, 12, 10 and 8 have multiple outs that you can assign sounds to. The other modules can pan sounds, so you could use the left channel for drums and the right for the click.

Now, i am a big fan of getting a whole kit (or two), but there are cheaper ways to accomplish what you want. There are several units that have pads and sounds combined, like the Alesis Performance Pad. And check eBay for older Roland SPD-11s or 20s.

Leave a comment:

• SterlingRush
    started a topic Which Would Be The Better Way?

Which Would Be The Better Way?

Hey everyone, being new here and to the concept of e-drums, I'm looking to gain some knowledge for a future investment & use. I will post some pics to give people a better idea of what I have to work with, but first the background of what ideas I have.

OK, the scenerio is I play an acoustic kit on a rotating stage. I'm looking at 1 of 2 options. Either purchase just a module brain and a couple of pads to add to the kit, or a simple(but complete) e-drum kit to add to the back side of this existing kit, something similar to a Neil Peart approach, lol.

The main idea for getting involved in adding a couple of pads, is pretty simple. We use in ear monitors, and I was looking at something where I can use it to count off the tempo of a song or count during break points within a song, so I don't have to use the hi-hat. Kind of like a silent count, only heard by the band members through the in ears. Program a cowbell sound or something of the sorts.

But after looking at prices for just a brain module, I'm wondering if it would be wiser to purchase a whole set and make use of it as part of the show. But by doing that, would I be able to split the audio out so I could still have 1 or 2 pads as the "silent cowbell" and still use the other pads as part of the overall show? Or would it be better to say heck with it, buy a full set up, plus an additional cheap module & pads to use for all of this?

I'm not looking to spend a whole bunch of money on this, since my acoustic kit is my primary for the show, but just wondering which road would be the better way to go. I can only see using the full e-kit on a few songs throughout the night, and then maybe for rehearsal reasons. I know what I want to do, but just don't know which would be the better way to go, so any input will be appreciated.

Here's a few pics of the kit:
    Attached Files
Working...
X