Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Amplification help needed for home practice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amplification help needed for home practice?

Hi guys, just looking around for an amplification system for home practice. I have seen the little roland pm10 and pm30 vdrum monitors, as well as a few other little 30w amps that are around. Is there any other option? A guy in a shop told me you can't go past a good stereo system with some decent speakers? What is everyone using?

I assume you just plug into the PA when gigging?

I use a PM10 myself, not a lot of bottom end but a fair sound. For gigging I prefer my own dedicated amp. I am currently using my PM10 with a EV 12'' sub under it. Works ok for what we do but I need some more power...
    My Kit
    http://www.vdrums.com/forum/attachme...2&d=1257067362

Comment

I haven't tested any amps dedicated for drums, so no comments about those. One solution is to buy decent pair of reasonably priced active speakers, and you can always add subwoofer if you need more bottom end. I'm using Tascam VL-X5's without subs and I'm very happy with the sound.
      - tuquoque

Comment

Quite honestly, your best bet for in the house is a good set of headphones. What I noticed in the house is that you need to have the volume quite high to cover the sound of hitting the rubber rims and cymbals and then you are into having problems with neighbours or other people living in the house.

If its to practice with your band in a house then a headphone amp with everyone using headphones again will give you the best and cleanest sound.

I think there maybe a few posts on headphones around here some where LOL.

*Free TD-12 & TD-20 Kits*....*Free SPD-s Kits & Effects*
        *Videos*......*Demos*......*Pictures*......*Documents*

Comment

I use a Simmons DA200S and am quite happy with it.
          TD9 Frankenkit

Comment

Originally posted by chiphead View Post
            I second that. I tried one out at GC a few months ago and was very impressed with it. It went on my Christmas list and Santa (aka the wife) delivered it Christmas morning. I'm quite happy with it as a small practice amp, and I think the price is pretty reasonable.
            >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

Originally posted by chiphead View Post
              They don't seem to be available here in Holland. Does anyone know if they only ship in the USA?

Comment

Originally posted by eric_B View Post
                They don't seem to be available here in Holland. Does anyone know if they only ship in the USA?
                Guitar Center is the only source I'm aware of for those. And according to their Web site, they don't currently ship internationally.
                >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

Originally posted by V(ader)DRUMMER View Post
                  Guitar Center is the only source I'm aware of for those. And according to their Web site, they don't currently ship internationally.
                  Well, maybe you could e-mail me one ?

Just curious, how is the sound compared to your Sennheiser 280 headphones (as I own a pair of those)?

Comment

Well, maybe you could e-mail me one ?
                    I don't think my email account can handle attachments that large.

Just curious, how is the sound compared to your Sennheiser 280 headphones (as I own a pair of those)?
                    Everything always sounds better through the headphones. It's just two different beasts. You have to tweak things toward whatever output you are using and whatever conditions are around you at the time. I think that's true for any musical instrument.
                    >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

go easy $

I use an old amp from a stereo system I got on Craigs list for $20. I needed a trip to radio shack for a couple 3 dollar 1/4 to RCA adaptors. I also had some nice old school Infinity "big" speaker I never got rid of. All told for around $30 Im in good "home " sound.
                      Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Stixx View Post

If its to practice with your band in a house then a headphone amp with everyone using headphones again will give you the best and cleanest sound.

I think there maybe a few posts on headphones around here some where LOL.
                        I am curious how you would go about setting it up? I would love to have a headphone setup so we can practice with friends anytime.

Comment

Personally I use an Alesis RA150 amp and Alesis Monitor Ones MkII, astonishing value and plenty loud enough, and a Tascam cdp connected to L and R, but any cd player will do, then a pair of Beyer DT100 'phones into the stereo mix with one of them clever and cheap headphone volume controls from Maplins, so you can mix the volume of your performance v. the disc or whatever you are practising along to.

Headphones are fine on their own too of course, but I like a bit of 'kick' feedback when I'm playing, and to cover the rubber 'clack' sound. You may not of course.
                          Last edited by chevvies; 01-21-09, 02:35 PM.

Comment

When I bought my TD9KX set, I got that 50 watt Yamaha setup with it, and I have been real happy. It has a 50watt amp with the sub, and the two speakers came with mounts for the drum rack. I put them low on the end legs aiming slightly up. They look like they were made for the kit (I will have to get a pic up later). Also, 50 watts isn't close to enough for gigging, but it is plenty for playing in the house, even with a couple of guitars and a bass. If my memory serves me, they were just over 300USD for the 3pc set and the mounts were included as well.

Comment

Working...
                            X