Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Got a new V-Drum & Help w/ upgrade & pedal? (1st post)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a new V-Drum & Help w/ upgrade & pedal? (1st post)

Just got a TD-3 kit for myself yesterday and this is my very first drum set . I played as a bassist in a band for 2 years back in university, don't know too much about drum, so I hope maybe some of you guys can help me out.

The kit I got was the older TD3 (TD-3KS / TD-3kit). It does not come with the CY-5 as hi-hat, and it doesn't come with a mesh snare (PDX-8 or PD-85)
    > http://www.roland.com/products/en/TD-3Kit/index.html

If I were to only upgrade 1 thing right now, which upgrade do you guys suggest?
    1) Upgrade CY-5 as hi-hat ($85?)
    2) Upgrade PDX-8 or PD-85 snare ($210?)
    Either way, I will use the extra PD-8 as an additional tom.
    Is the mesh snare gonna make a big difference? It is a lot more expensive compare to the CY-5 hi-hat upgrade.

2nd question I have is kick drum pedal. Any suggestion on brand and model? I am looking for something around $60-$100. Anything or features I should look for or they probably won't make a big difference for a beginner like me.

Hello and Welcome. IMO, the best thing you can do is try and find a shop with the 'newer' version of the TD-3 kit with the upgrades and try them out so you can judge for yourself which you think will be the better upgrade! As for pedals, whatever feels good in your budget. Again, its a case of going and trying things out as what feels good to one person might feel horrid under your foot! Good luck!

Comment

1) Snare
      2) Pedal
      3) HH upgrade.

Ask anybody else in here, and you'll get a completely different answer.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
      TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to our little home on the Web. The CY-5 and mesh snare would both make excellent upgrades to your kit. You're going to want them both eventually, so just decide how much you want to spend at the moment and plan on saving up for the other later.

Personally, when you upgrade your snare pad, I'd recommend the PD-85 because it will make an excellent additional tom pad if and when you upgrade to an all-mesh kit. If you can afford it, you might want to consider getting a larger mesh pad for use as your snare as many people agree that a larger snare pad makes for a better feel (especially if you have played acoustic drums in the past).

As for a cheap kick pedal, I've had excellent luck with the very affordable Pearl P120P:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Pearl-P1...03-i1140629.gc

Best of luck!
        >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

Welcome to the best Vdrum forum.
          I'd definitely go with Grog here. The snare will make a huge difference for sure.
          As for pedals, both Gibralter and Mapex make good quality budget pedals. I would favour Mapex. Very solid and well made gear.
          Features wise you need as much adjustment as you can afford in my opinion.

Comment

For a pedal I recommend you to try the Sonor P-473. Great feel and good quality for that price.
            As for the rest I take it your kit pads including the hihat are rubber pads now? Then IŽd say buy the CY-5 first. Playing hihat on a rubber pad is not funny (In lack of a better word - inspiring perhaps) at all.
            DonŽt worry, youŽll still want to upgrade the snare to mesh.
            2Box DrumIt Five, TDW-20BK , additional Kit Toys & Roland cymbals, 2Box, Pearl and Sonor pedals

Comment

As a former TD-3 owner, I'll chime in..

I had a newer version to start with. I first added a Pintech Dingbat so I'd have another trigger (cowbell, cymbal etc). I then added Pintech mesh snare, toms, kick (which I'm using still on my new set.)

Something to consider is that if you think you are going to upgrade or replace things...will you be keeping them or selling the whole kit off later? I sold my TD-3 as a whole kit. Consider the long term utility of anything you end up buying. Good planning will save you money in the long run.

Many of us get infected with GAS and we end up buying all sorts of new and expensive gear....

The cheapest upgrade would be the CY-5 as a hi-hat.

A bigger snare would be a nice upgrade. Consider other brands, Pintech, Hart.....You want a good snare, you can get by for a while with rubber toms.

I've been happy with my Tama pedal, I think it fits your price range.

Don't underestimate a good throne (maybe even with a back rest).

good luck, enjoy the TD-3, welcome to the group.
              Michael

TD-12/Gibraltar rack/Pintech Concertcast drums 12" snare, 1 12" tom, 2 10" toms, 8" mesh kick, Visulite cymbals, 14" dual zone crash, 13" hi-hat, 18" 3 zone ride and 2 Dingbats, Roland PM-10, iPod, Zildjian anti-vibe sticks, Roc-N-Soc throne with backrest, Yamaha snare stand, Tama Iron Cobra pedal and HH75W hi-hat stand, Sennheiser HDR 110 wireless headphones. V-expressions 80's and 90's Giggin' Kits and Both Top 50 drummers (hopefully functional soon)

Comment

I started with exactly the same kit as you. The thing I hated most was using the PD-8 rubber pad as hi-hat, and thereby only having 2 toms. For a good long time I used one of the CY-8 crash cymbals as hi-hat so I could use the 4th pad as another tom.

If you are at all handy, why not try converting an old acoustic tom to a mesh snare pad? It's not difficult to do, there are plenty of step-by-step instructions to be found, and it's cheap. Not to mention incredibly satisfying and every bit as good as the actual Roland mesh pads to play. Check out my album to see what you can do for less than the price of one PD-85. That said, the first thing I did after the DIY project was complete, was purchase a CY-5 hi-hat cymbal. What a difference. And that would be my suggestion over any other upgrade.

I was lucky and got a kickass pedal included with my kit, so I've never had to do any research in that regard. Whatever you do, keep us posted and be sure to include some pictures. We love to see what our fellow drummers are up to... Welcome!
                Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

While I'm not a huge fan of the CY-5 (too small), I still think it would be a big upgrade.

I'd upgrade the hihat, then the snare. I'd avoid the PDX-8.
                  Last edited by gdjd; 12-30-08, 07:49 PM. Reason: grammar
                  TD-20SWT. Iron Cobra Rolling Glide (single). DW9500 hihat stand. Lousy technique.

Comment

Thanks guys for all the suggestions

I decided to upgrade the hi-hat first since it feels weird using a pad as a hi-hat. I will definitely upgrade the snare later, maybe in a few months.

Went to the local music store yesterday to get the CY5, and now I have another problem...
                    The store I went to said they have no CY-5 in stock, and for some reason, they can't order it in. (He said it is discontinued..but I doubt it..)

They do have the CY-8 they can order tho. Do you guys think the CY-8 would be too big for hi-hat? Am I better off sticking to a CY5?
                    I am going to go home tomorrow and try moving the CY8 cymbal that comes with the kit to the hi-hat and see how that plays out. But I still wanted your opinions on whether CY-5 would be a better size for the hi-hat.

Comment

I'd be surprised if the CY-5 was discontinued too, though nothing is impossible.

There's not that much difference in size (10" v. 12"; so one inch bigger all round), and a CY-8 is definitely not too big for a hi-hat. The difference is more in the mounting method, as you have to screw a CY-8 down tight to stop it swinging; whereas a CY-5 comes with a special hi-hat clutch attachment set for an L-rod.

Bruce

Comment

The cy-5 seems to me to be somewhat quieter than the cy8, but it might be because i dislike the 8...however, the cy -5 is only a year or two old, so i sincerely doubt it is discontinued...I suggest, depending on where you live, that you contact an internet firm like

usa: rmc audio, or sweetwater, or kraft, or musician friends..
                        europe: thomann, or drum-tec
                        TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
                        ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
                        not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Hi Hat
                          snare

Don't forget to look at brands other than Roland. Pintech and Hart are great, too.

I give a big second to Rythm's rec for the Sonor; for the price, I don't think it can be beat. It's super fast, responsive and surprisingly adjustable. Of all my pedals, it's my 2nd choice after the Trick which was six times the price.

http://tinyurl.com/My-E-kit

Comment

Originally posted by saku View Post
                            The cy-5 seems to me to be somewhat quieter than the cy8, but it might be because i dislike the 8...however, the cy -5 is only a year or two old, so i sincerely doubt it is discontinued...I suggest, depending on where you live, that you contact an internet firm like

usa: rmc audio, or sweetwater, or kraft, or musician friends..
                            europe: thomann, or drum-tec
                            If you live in Europe, I think you'll get better prices from UK than from Germany. Check this out: www.soundslive.co.uk
                            - tuquoque

Comment

Originally posted by clock View Post
                              I am going to go home tomorrow and try moving the CY8 cymbal that comes with the kit to the hi-hat and see how that plays out. But I still wanted your opinions on whether CY-5 would be a better size for the hi-hat.
                              Trying things for yourself is always going to provide you better feedback than asking someone elses opinion. As I mentioned, I used a CY-8 as hi-hat for quite some time, and perhaps it's simply the mounting as Bruce mentioned, but I much prefer the CY-5.
                              Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

Working...
                              X