Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Afraid to buy TD-9KX (sx)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Afraid to buy TD-9KX (sx)

I've been reading and reading this forum for few days now. I've sold my HD-1 kit and have now enough money to buy TD9-KX. My plan was to order the kit from abroad as they are so much cheaper in other parts of Europe. This makes it difficult to deal with the warranties.

However, I've read that there are some serious flaws with the Roland cymbal pads, particularly in CY12R and I haven't read very much good about CY-8's and CY-5's either.

Now, I'm not sure what to do Is it safe to buy the TD9-KX kit or would it be wiser buy the kit with different cymbal pads? Which ones? What are the odds to have a TD-9KX kit that's fully functional instead of the kit that has cymbals that are not working? 50%-60%?
    - tuquoque

Hmm, not sure where or what you've read but the cymbals that come with the TD9 are perfectly reasonable. Admittedly the CY5 and CY8 are not the best variants for hi-hats and crash, there are better (read: more expensive) alternatives but they work OK.

I bought this same kit couple of weeks back and couldn't be happier, been bashing away at the cymbals loads and they're fine. The bell trigger on the 12can be a little unresponsive but give it a solid thunk and it works; there is also a DIY fix for that problem. CY5 is pretty basic but you can upgrade that at a later date.

Not sure about in Finland but once you purchase the kit you can register on the Roland website for 3 years parts & labour warranty?
    My UPDATED TD9-KX - http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g5...0/P2240044.jpg

Comment

Not sure about in Finland but once you purchase the kit you can register on the Roland website for 3 years parts & labour warranty?
      Thanks for replying. Yes, I could have the warranty, but the problem is that the warranty is only for parts & labour, not shipping costs or my time. The money I save ($500) if I buy the kit abroad is easely lost later if I need to pack and ship the cymbals one by one to be repaired in a country I bought them.

Anyone have replaced the TD-9 kits cymbals to Yamaha's or some other manufacturers cymbals?
      - tuquoque

Comment

I think "serious flaws with the Roland cymbal pads" is a gross overstatement of rare, minor problems. In my opinion the odds of getting a fully functional TD-9KX kit are 99.999%. What problems did you have with your HD-1 cymbals which are virtually identical to a CY-5?

Bruce

Comment

I've had 7 Roland kits of different ages from 1 to 4 years old, none have had any real problems that guys here haven't sorted with a bit of know how, I think you can be confident in anything up to a TD-12, the TD-20's from what Ive read have a few issues with the battery.
          I worried about butchering my brand new first $2200 TD-3 but soon got over it. I have several friends with all ranges of kits and the only problem was the CY-5 not triggering on a TD-6, it was easily fixed buy reading this forum and a bit of grease/Vaseline (it had to be done in the shop under warranty). Ive never seen a Cymbal problem apart from the bell sound but even then there's a fix here.
          Nothing of importance here

Comment

I'm very happy with my TD-9KX. I didn't like the CY-5 for a hihat, so I bought the VH-11, but that's my personal preference. I did have some bad triggering with the CY-5 but removing the bottom and cleaning it seemed to be the solution.

And you can always tweak the triggering settings to your taste. Moreover, there is a new firmware update which improves the triggering. So, I don't see why the CY's would be the reason not to buy a TD-9KX.

Comment

I have a td6 kit upgraded to a td9, and have had no problems with it during the last three years....my cy 12 cymbal even triggers the bell easily, despite what other people here on the forum have had.

I think your fears are a bit exaggerated!
              TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
              ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
              not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Originally posted by tuquoque View Post
                Thanks for replying. Yes, I could have the warranty, but the problem is that the warranty is only for parts & labour, not shipping costs or my time. The money I save ($500) if I buy the kit abroad is easely lost later if I need to pack and ship the cymbals one by one to be repaired in a country I bought them.

Anyone have replaced the TD-9 kits cymbals to Yamaha's or some other manufacturers cymbals?
                As others have since mentioned I think you have little to worry about but even if you did have a problem you either apply a fix your self if it's a known issue or send the cymbal back under warranty for replacement; granted Roland don't pay postage but that shouldn't be too expensive.
                My UPDATED TD9-KX - http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g5...0/P2240044.jpg

Comment

As it's the most expensive part of the kit, my biggest worry if I were in your shoes would be if the module developed a fault. However this is fairly rare event, so I wouldn't worry too much.
                  It always comes down to balancing the risk of repair costs versus savings made by importing kit / buying second hand without a warranty. That decision is up to you...!

Comment

Ok, understood, thank you all !

Ok, I got what I expected, thank you all.

I was very impressed of the quality of HD-1 and I do believe the TD-9 is equal in that sense. I'm not a drummer but I would like to find a kit for long term home studio use. I already ordered TD-9K few weeks ago, but I cancelled the order because I needed to rethink my needs. The TD-9KX seems to be the better choice (for me) at the moment. I just wanted to have the final discussion about the cymbal issue to make sure I've understood right, the problems are small and rarely exist.

I have the money in my bank account and the order is just one click away :-)

Once again, thank you. I'll keep you informed how it goes. Great forum!
                    - tuquoque

Comment

I found a kit

I've just made a deal for an 6 months old TD-9KX kit with kick changed to KD-85 and an additional CY-8 + pedal + throne. The price was only about 200 euro cheaper than new one bought from abroad (UK), but the kit is like new and there is 6 months of warranty time left. Compared to finnish prices it's about 700 euro cheaper than new one. The kit was originally bought from finnish retailer, so in case of failure, the nearest Roland warranty service is in my hometown, which is great. I'm soooo excited....

The kit will come home next sunday, that's just 5 nights away
                      - tuquoque

Comment

Sounds like you made out, Enjoy the kit. I just wanted to add that we never have issues with Roland cymbals. We have had one DOA in 9 years. Roland in general has a miniscule failure rate so they must QC the stuff really well before it leaves the factory. I hope that continues ( you listening Roland? ).
                        www.rmcaudiodirect.com

http://www.myspace.com/rmcaudio

Comment

I have been gigging and rehearsing my TD-9KX since August and have had no problems. If it's ok for me then it'll be more then enough for you!

Go get one - It's a great bit of kit!
                          :eek:

Comment

Onneksi olkoon! nautikaa!

congrats, enjoy!
                            TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
                            ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
                            not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Originally posted by saku View Post
                              Onneksi olkoon! nautikaa!

congrats, enjoy!
                              Tack ska du ha. Det skall jag göra (Thank you, I will)
                              - tuquoque

Comment

Working...
                              X