Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Getting my first v-kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting my first v-kit

Hello V-drummers!
    I am a new member here, and I'm about to order my first v-kit since the acoustics don't really work well in the appartment.

My plan atm is to order everything seperately so I can get just what I need, but before I do that I have some questions I hope you might be able to answer:

The first concern I have is which kickpad to choose. I have tried the kd-8 in the local stores and didn't really like it, mainly because it moved around like hell and didn't trigger double pedal playing very well (maybe bad settings?). Therefore my first choice was the kd-85, but there seems to be a lot of complains about the feel, and bouncing causing it to double trigger. So, the next pad on my mind is the Yamaha KP-125, which costs about as much as the kd-85. Has anyone tried it? If so, how well did it function and feel? Would it work properly with a TD-9 module?

The next thing I wonder is if a PD-125 snare pad could be mounted on an MDS-9 rack without being unstable?

Finally, I thought I'd share what components I've chosen so far, so that hopefully you could give opinions or tips about it:

Roland TD-9 module
    Roland MDS-9 rack
    Roland PD-85 toms x2
    Roland PD-125 snare (or 105, depending on how well the 125 works with the rack)
    Roland CY-5 hi-hat
    Roland FD-8 hi-hat pedal
    Roland CY-12RC ride
    Roland CY-8 crash x2(?) (optionally one of the cheaper Millenium pads from thomann. Anyone have any experience with them?)

I believe that was all for now. Help would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by Nvd; 12-24-08, 08:02 PM.

welcome Nvd,

There are many ways to get your v-drums, you can buy a packaged kit or make up your own...I started with a TD-3 upgraded a few things then replaced the whole thing.

Check out RMC Audio, they get rave reviews on the board. They might be able to put together what you want for a better price than buying everything separately from somewhere else.

I went with a TD-12, Gibraltar rack and Pintech drums and cymbals. I'm quite happy with my 8" Pintech kick. I had the rubber Roland that came with the TD-3. It's mostly a personal preference mesh versus rubber kick. I don't have a problem at all with my Pintech kick walking away from me.

I'll let others chime in about your other choices. You're smart to figure out what you want to get before you buy it, this will save you some $$ in the long run.

good luck, let us know what you end up with. The TD-9 owners seem very happy with it.
    Michael

TD-12/Gibraltar rack/Pintech Concertcast drums 12" snare, 1 12" tom, 2 10" toms, 8" mesh kick, Visulite cymbals, 14" dual zone crash, 13" hi-hat, 18" 3 zone ride and 2 Dingbats, Roland PM-10, iPod, Zildjian anti-vibe sticks, Roc-N-Soc throne with backrest, Yamaha snare stand, Tama Iron Cobra pedal and HH75W hi-hat stand, Sennheiser HDR 110 wireless headphones. V-expressions 80's and 90's Giggin' Kits and Both Top 50 drummers (hopefully functional soon)

Comment

I've only experience with some of your components...so I'll only chime in on those...

I have a KD-8 and it is rock solid...never moves at all. I didn't think I'd like it as I've got an all mesh kit, but I wouldn't trade it for a mesh kick at any price...including free. Tried the mesh kicks at the store...way too much rebound. I use a double kick and there is no issue whatsoever with triggering. As you said, perhaps bad settings.

PD-85's work well as toms, I use two of them, and two 105's as well. The plan is to shift those 105's to the small tom spots when I get two more 125's. I'm in no hurry to make this upgrade as this set-up suites me fine for now.

I use a PD-125 as the snare. Believe it or not, I use a cheapo 1/2" tubing rack with a cymbal extension arm to hold the snare, and it is very stable. So I would imagine there wouldn't be too big a difference between using a 125 and a 105 on your rack...could be wrong. Pics are here, and if you look close, you can see the cymbal arm attachment holding the snare.

The FD-8 is hit or miss. I've had no problems with mine, and I like it, but others have had issues with it. It's no substitute for a real hi-hat, that's for sure.

I have four CY-8's and they are solid. They can take a beating and I've never had an issue with one.

I pieced together my kit as well, and am very happy with the way it turned out. Putting it together yourself means you'll get exactly what you want, not what Roland thinks you want.
      My Kit's Evolution Pics...

Comment

Welcome to the forum!

being a bit of a Grinch, I would just like to give two small warnings:
        1) it is usually FAR cheaper to buy a ready made kit than just parts...and a possible solution would be to buy the prepackaged kit, and sell off anything you dont want to get anything you are still missing...it will more than likely be the most economical solution...do a bit of pricing and see how the maths come out (maybe you can haggle yourself to a better deal than i could!)

2) remember, vdrums are not completely silent, and esp the kick can annoy downstairs neighbours. If you search on this site (preferrable using google rather than the forum's own search engine which isnt very good) for 'neighbours' or 'neighbors' (plus 'site:vdrum:com' for google) and 'noise' you can find some of the solutions, usually involving tennis balls, which are another good key word to search for...

my, i certainly used the word 'solution' a lot...must be the lack of eggnog...

keep us posted to how you do!
        TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
        ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
        not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

To begin with, I want to say a big thanks to you all for your answers!

Originally posted by Picksorsticks View Post
          Check out RMC Audio, they get rave reviews on the board. They might be able to put together what you want for a better price than buying everything separately from somewhere else.
          That seems like a really good store, but I live in sweden, which means they won't sell anything to me. Maybe I should've mentioned that in my first post. However, thanks a lot for the tip!
          I went with a TD-12, Gibraltar rack and Pintech drums and cymbals. I'm quite happy with my 8" Pintech kick. I had the rubber Roland that came with the TD-3. It's mostly a personal preference mesh versus rubber kick. I don't have a problem at all with my Pintech kick walking away from me.
          Sounds like a real nice kit you've got! Those pintech pads seem nice, but I don't think they're very easy to get hold on here in Sweden. It seems Roland or Yamaha is the way to go here if you want something well tested with quality. I don't think I've seen pintech pads anywhere obtainable for me. Millenium's mesh pads might be an option, but I know too little of them to have the guts to order a kit with those.
          You're smart to figure out what you want to get before you buy it, this will save you some $$ in the long run.
          Yeah, I thought I'd better to it right the first time, instead of finding out I wanted something else later.
          good luck, let us know what you end up with. The TD-9 owners seem very happy with it.
          Thanks, I sure will! That is my impression too, hence the choice.

Originally posted by LarsYouPutz View Post
          I have a KD-8 and it is rock solid...never moves at all. I didn't think I'd like it as I've got an all mesh kit, but I wouldn't trade it for a mesh kick at any price...including free. Tried the mesh kicks at the store...way too much rebound. I use a double kick and there is no issue whatsoever with triggering. As you said, perhaps bad settings.
          I've heard a lot of different opinions on the KD-8, where some thinks it moves too much (like me), and some thinks it's rock solid. I wonder what the reason for that is? Do you have something behind your pad to support it or something perhaps? That could be a solution for the moving I guess. If you have no problems with triggering double bass, maybe I should concider the KD-8 again. I'm still curious about the Yamaha KP-125 pad though.
          PD-85's work well as toms, I use two of them, and two 105's as well. The plan is to shift those 105's to the small tom spots when I get two more 125's. I'm in no hurry to make this upgrade as this set-up suites me fine for now.
          Cool! My initial plan was to get at least 3 toms, but my budget is a little short for that right now. Two toms will do for now I guess, I might just upgrade it later. I also thought the PD-85's might be too small, but then again, it's good precision practise.
          I use a PD-125 as the snare. Believe it or not, I use a cheapo 1/2" tubing rack with a cymbal extension arm to hold the snare, and it is very stable. So I would imagine there wouldn't be too big a difference between using a 125 and a 105 on your rack...could be wrong. Pics are here, and if you look close, you can see the cymbal arm attachment holding the snare.
          Oh, well, then it sure should work on my rack! I think I'll take the chance, and just buy a separate snare stand or something if it doesn't work. Your kit looks very nice and comfy!
          The FD-8 is hit or miss. I've had no problems with mine, and I like it, but others have had issues with it. It's no substitute for a real hi-hat, that's for sure.
          Hm, alright. That sounds like a little of a gamble, but I don't know if there are so many other options? Any other pedal you could recommend instead?
          I have four CY-8's and they are solid. They can take a beating and I've never had an issue with one.
          Just what I wanted to hear! By the way, if I want another cymbal for my kit, would any cymbal arm work, like this one for example? And also, I have to ask again: Has anyone tried either this or this cymbal?
          I pieced together my kit as well, and am very happy with the way it turned out. Putting it together yourself means you'll get exactly what you want, not what Roland thinks you want.
          Exactly my point! One question I have about that though, is if it's harder to put it together when buying everything separately? I'm a complete newbie on these things, so I hope I'm not making it all very complicated here.

Originally posted by saku View Post
          Welcome to the forum!

being a bit of a Grinch, I would just like to give two small warnings:
          1) it is usually FAR cheaper to buy a ready made kit than just parts...and a possible solution would be to buy the prepackaged kit, and sell off anything you dont want to get anything you are still missing...it will more than likely be the most economical solution...do a bit of pricing and see how the maths come out (maybe you can haggle yourself to a better deal than i could!)
          Thanks!
          No worries, I appreciate the warnings! I didn't actually think of that, strangely enough. A pre-packed td-9KX kit costs about 190$ less than a compilation of the exact same components. The problem though, is that I don't think it's very easy to sell separate pads here in sweden. Our compliment for Ebay (tradera) isn't nearly as big, and it's a bit of a hustle to sell things on the US Ebay for us swedes. One solution could be to sell it to a local store, but the prices they pay for second hand things are really low. So, the question is if it's really worth it in the long run. I'm not sure.
          2) remember, vdrums are not completely silent, and esp the kick can annoy downstairs neighbours. If you search on this site (preferrable using google rather than the forum's own search engine which isnt very good) for 'neighbours' or 'neighbors' (plus 'site:vdrum:com' for google) and 'noise' you can find some of the solutions, usually involving tennis balls, which are another good key word to search for...
          Thanks for mentioning this, but luckily enough, I live on the bottom floor. No neighbours below me, in other words! The person I worry the most about concerning noise would be my mom, but I've already talked it through with her and she thinks she'll be ok with it. I sure hope so after all the money I'll have spent! This was another reason for my first choice of a meshpad kick, but the feel is rather important to me.
          my, i certainly used the word 'solution' a lot...must be the lack of eggnog...

keep us posted to how you do!
          Hah well, it's a very usable word indeed, so I don't blame you. May I ask what "eggnog" means, though?

Sure will! And again, thanks all!

Comment

Originally posted by Nvd View Post
            May I ask what "eggnog" means, though?
            Where are you from? Eggnog is a traditional Christmas drink made from egg, cream, spices and rum!
            sigpic

Comment

Try 4sound...they often give good prices, esp if you go in there with a quote from Thomann or slagverkskompaniet (Musikbörssen is always too expensive), they will often go down near that. One of the advantages of being on this forum is that you can post in the classified area here for free, and sell your extras all over Europe. Frankly, I think 190 dollars (1400 kr more or less) is an underestimate of the saving you can make....

Thomann's Url: http://www.thomann.de/se/index.html
              slagverkets Url: http://www.slagverkskompaniet.se/
              4sounds url: http://www.4sound.se/Reseller/reseller.aspx?id=29

mvh
              saku

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Render View Post
                Where are you from? Eggnog is a traditional Christmas drink made from egg, cream, spices and rum!
                I'm from sweden. Ah, I see! I haven't actually heard about that drink, but I'm also rather new to the whole legal drinking scene (I'm 18), so it could just be me who is unwitting. We do however have another traditional christmas drink called "glögg", or "mulled wine" in english (appearantly?). I think it's basicly red wine with spices, that we heat up just so it doesn't boil with raisins and almonds in it. Have you heard of it?

Try 4sound...they often give good prices, esp if you go in there with a quote from Thomann or slagverkskompaniet (Musikbörssen is always too expensive), they will often go down near that. One of the advantages of being on this forum is that you can post in the classified area here for free, and sell your extras all over Europe. Frankly, I think 190 dollars (1400 kr more or less) is an underestimate of the saving you can make....

Thomann's Url: http://www.thomann.de/se/index.html
                slagverkets Url: http://www.slagverkskompaniet.se/
                4sounds url: http://www.4sound.se/Reseller/reseller.aspx?id=29

mvh
                saku
                Ah, I saw now that you're actually swedish too. How convenient!

4sound is a shop I haven't really had much business with at all, mostly because I got the impression they were rather expensive, but I should probably check that out again then! It would probably be nicer dealing with a local shop than one in germany too I suppose, if any parts break or something. Oh, I didn't think about this forum! That should definately make things easier, if there are a lot of people in the Europe area around here?

Thanks for the links! I looked at the slagverkskompaniet.se link, and they are actually even cheaper than thomann! You gave me a lot to think about.

Comment

I own a TD9K and a PD125. The PD125 was plenty stable mounted on a L rod on the MDS-9, BUT...

I did not feel I could get the PD125 into a good position vis a vis my toms. I much preferred using the PD125 with a snare stand.

I don't like the CY-5 (too small for basic hihat techniques, imo) or the CY8. I would take the money you were going to spend on the two CY8s and get one CY14--much nicer.
                  TD-20SWT. Iron Cobra Rolling Glide (single). DW9500 hihat stand. Lousy technique.

Comment

Nvd,

You're just a kid, think how good you can be on the drums by the time you're my age (almost 52).

Between the old eyes and old lenses I missed that you're in Sweden. This is quite the international group. I looked at the Pintech site and they don't seem to have a Swedish presence. My ultimate points were that there are other manufacturers of pads to consider, but Roland probably makes the best modules. The other point is that if RMC can customize Roland kits, somebody else should be able to as well and that would save you a lot of money. These v-drums can get expensive.

I put my 12" snare on a snare stand as it had a tendency to spin a bit on the TD-3 rack.

You can't really go wrong with Roland or a few other manufacturers as well. It's about getting what you want in the first place.
                    Michael

TD-12/Gibraltar rack/Pintech Concertcast drums 12" snare, 1 12" tom, 2 10" toms, 8" mesh kick, Visulite cymbals, 14" dual zone crash, 13" hi-hat, 18" 3 zone ride and 2 Dingbats, Roland PM-10, iPod, Zildjian anti-vibe sticks, Roc-N-Soc throne with backrest, Yamaha snare stand, Tama Iron Cobra pedal and HH75W hi-hat stand, Sennheiser HDR 110 wireless headphones. V-expressions 80's and 90's Giggin' Kits and Both Top 50 drummers (hopefully functional soon)

Comment

Originally posted by gdjd View Post
                      I own a TD9K and a PD125. The PD125 was plenty stable mounted on a L rod on the MDS-9, BUT...

I did not feel I could get the PD125 into a good position vis a vis my toms. I much preferred using the PD125 with a snare stand.

I don't like the CY-5 (too small for basic hihat techniques, imo) or the CY8. I would take the money you were going to spend on the two CY8s and get one CY14--much nicer.
                      Ok, thanks! Might turn out that I can't get it in a good position either, but it's after all personal preference. If I can't I'll just have to get a snare stand. Have you played a PD-105 snare as well? If so, do you think the difference is very noticable?

The CY-5 seems a bit small, yeah. The price-step between that and the bigger and better one is rather big though, and I don't think I want to spend so much more on the kit, seeing as it's really expensive already. What is it that you don't like about the CY-8s, and what is the difference between them and the CY-14 except for the size? My problem is that I'm really used to having 2 crashes and a crashable ride.

Nvd,

You're just a kid, think how good you can be on the drums by the time you're my age (almost 52).
                      Hehe, yes indeed! 34 years of practise (hopefully). That is a nice thought.
                      Between the old eyes and old lenses I missed that you're in Sweden. This is quite the international group. I looked at the Pintech site and they don't seem to have a Swedish presence. My ultimate points were that there are other manufacturers of pads to consider, but Roland probably makes the best modules. The other point is that if RMC can customize Roland kits, somebody else should be able to as well and that would save you a lot of money. These v-drums can get expensive.
                      That can be easily done, even for a youngster like me. I see your point! Right now however, I don't feel like I've heard enough about the quality of the other manufacturer's pads available here to take the risk of buying them. It is a lot cheaper, but still a lot of money.

I just sent an email to slagverkskompaniet.se here in sweden, to see if they could give me a good deal on the things I need. Let's see what they answer!
                      I put my 12" snare on a snare stand as it had a tendency to spin a bit on the TD-3 rack.
                      Seems like the PD-125 doesn't go too well with most racks. It will probably land on a stand for me in the end too, but I'll give the rack a chance first.
                      You can't really go wrong with Roland or a few other manufacturers as well. It's about getting what you want in the first place.
                      That's probably true. So right now I really just gotta find out what I really want I guess.

Since nobody seems to have any experience with the Yamaha KP-125 kickpad, I think I'll just go with the Roland KD-8 for a starters. If I don't like it, I guess I could just follow saku's advice and resell it!

Comment

Ok, thanks! Might turn out that I can't get it in a good position either, but it's after all personal preference. If I can't I'll just have to get a snare stand. Have you played a PD-105 snare as well? If so, do you think the difference is very noticable?

The CY-5 seems a bit small, yeah. The price-step between that and the bigger and better one is rather big though, and I don't think I want to spend so much more on the kit, seeing as it's really expensive already. What is it that you don't like about the CY-8s, and what is the difference between them and the CY-14 except for the size? My problem is that I'm really used to having 2 crashes and a crashable ride.
                        I have 2x PD105 as toms on my current kit, connected via l-rods on my MDS-20. No problems. I never tried them on my MDS-9, but my guess is that they would be a better fit in the snare position, seeing as how the pdx-8 that came with my TD-9k(s) is 10" in diameter.

The CY-14/12s are weighted differently from the CY-8s, and move and respond in a more natural way imo. I have a CY-8 set up as a splash on my current kit along with two CY-14s as crashes, and the difference is noticeable--the low weight and small diameter of the CY-8 makes it "flap" rapidly when struck, while the CY-14s move more smoothly and realistically.
                        TD-20SWT. Iron Cobra Rolling Glide (single). DW9500 hihat stand. Lousy technique.

Comment

By the way, when you do the price comparison, remember to include cymbal and tom mounts...I am unsure how many come with the rack, but anything over 8 pads will probably need mounts...and they are expensive

Comment

By the way, when you do the price comparison, remember to include cymbal and tom mounts...I am unsure how many come with the rack, but anything over 8 pads will probably need mounts...and they are expensive
                            Well relatively they add up yes. Look on Thomann though. They have some real good quality mounts and low prices.

Comment

Finally, I thought I'd share what components I've chosen so far, so that hopefully you could give opinions or tips about it:

Roland TD-9 module
                              Roland MDS-9 rack
                              Roland PD-85 toms x2
                              Roland PD-125 snare (or 105, depending on how well the 125 works with the rack)
                              Roland CY-5 hi-hat
                              Roland FD-8 hi-hat pedal
                              Roland CY-12RC ride
                              Roland CY-8 crash x2(?) (optionally one of the cheaper Millenium pads from thomann. Anyone have any experience with them?)

I believe that was all for now. Help would be greatly appreciated!
                              Hej, NVD, nice to see another swede here!
                              I´ve never tested the Millenium pads, but from what other drummers have mentioned I would definately choose Roland pads/cyms instead.
                              Kit Toys cymbals (made in UK) could be another option for cymbals, search and read more about them on this forum.
                              Since you´re living in STHLM you got the new swedish kit Drumit Five, by 2Box, around the corner. My local dealer (I´m from the westcoast) told me they are getting the first kit i january, so personally I would check them out before I made my move. 4sounds or Birka Musik could probably tell you more about their arrival.
                              Good luck!
                              2Box DrumIt Five, TDW-20BK , additional Kit Toys & Roland cymbals, 2Box, Pearl and Sonor pedals

Comment

Working...
                              X