Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I upgrade from kd-8 to mesh kd-85?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I upgrade from kd-8 to mesh kd-85?

I have been offered a really good deal on a kd-85, $200 used only once by a friend of a friend. But I'm not sure if I need it.

I play death/black metal style, really fast double bass kick. I know the mesh heads have a bit of rebound to them, and I can't decide if that would be good or bad for really fast technical double bass playing. I can imagine the rebound being very helpful and increasing my speed, I can also imagine it screwing me up.

Any opinions? I need to decide in the next couple days whether I want to buy it or not.

There has been a lot of discussion on the relative merits of mesh vs. rubber kick drums. It boils down to preference. I prefer the KD-8 because it feels like an acoustic drum with a pillow in it. Others like the bounce of mesh and wouldn't use anything else. Not much help, I know. If you have a local music store, you might want to see if they have any floor models to try. You could also just buy it and try it. If you don't like it, I am sure you could easily sell it here for $200.
    sigpic

Comment

Good point, at $200 I really have nothing to lose. I've never even played acoustic so I'm not worried about realism or anything... strictly performance.

Comment

Thought I'd give an update, the KD-85 completely blows away the KD-8. Yes there is retriggering, but all I had to do was set the retrig cancel function and now I can play blazingly fast with little effort. I don't find that accuracy was sacrificed at all. When I first switched to the 85 I was playing TOO fast, I had to adjust to it because I was used to putting a lot more effort into my kicks with the KD-8. Anyway I would definitely recommend it to anyone considering the upgrade to mesh.

Comment

what's the opposite word for upgrade?

that's what i did when i got the kd-85,i didn't like it and wanted back my kd-8.If i had to chose between a kd-8 and a kd-105 i would still prefer the kd-8.It's just a matter of taste.The mesh kicks look better but i didin't like the feeling.
          Ex E-kits:
          ''Lernean Hydra'' ( a bounche of roland pads with a td-6 module)
          ''Lucy'' (Diamond electronic drums with a td-12 module)
          current E-kit
          ''Cherry Gretschy Lady'' (Gretsch Catalina Ash 6 piece A to E kit-Roland td20 module-A to E cymbals)

A-kit
          " Mrs.Catalina'' (Gretsch Catalina maple 6 piece kit-Paiste signature+Masterwork custom made cymbals)

check out a few videos http://www.youtube.com/user/hampisdrums

Comment

I went from mesh to the KD8 because I hated the retrig, however I'm seriously thinking of getting the Yamaha KP 125 now, not mesh but rubber with more rebound than the KD8, but less than mesh.

Comment

And what about loudness? Is the mesh one really that silent comparing to rubber?

Comment

Originally posted by szantykaw View Post
                And what about loudness? Is the mesh one really that silent comparing to rubber?
                No real difference, just a different sound.

Comment

It's a conundrum for sure, the KD-85 looks good but the KD-8 did feel better, the 85 design means it doesn't move away and around very much, the 8 has a mind of its own as was terrible on carpet going with the nit.
                  Nothing of importance here

Comment

Originally posted by KevH View Post
                    I went from mesh to the KD8 because I hated the retrig, however I'm seriously thinking of getting the Yamaha KP 125 now, not mesh but rubber with more rebound than the KD8, but less than mesh.
                    hey i want one of those too
                    Ex E-kits:
                    ''Lernean Hydra'' ( a bounche of roland pads with a td-6 module)
                    ''Lucy'' (Diamond electronic drums with a td-12 module)
                    current E-kit
                    ''Cherry Gretschy Lady'' (Gretsch Catalina Ash 6 piece A to E kit-Roland td20 module-A to E cymbals)

A-kit
                    " Mrs.Catalina'' (Gretsch Catalina maple 6 piece kit-Paiste signature+Masterwork custom made cymbals)

check out a few videos http://www.youtube.com/user/hampisdrums

Comment

I changed my KD-8 into a KD-85 and it's much better.
                      It feels great and after adjusting the module it works great and isn't as loud as the KD-8 was.

Comment

I agree with The Squonk -- I thought the KD-85 was a nice upgrade over the KD-8. On the other hand (foot?), I'm not a great drummer and my kick work is perhaps particularly un-amazing, so bear that in mind!

Anyway, I simply do like it better. The KD-8 always kinda bothered me, noise, feel and stand-wise. Before I got my KD-85, I'd actually switched back [from the KD-8] to my old Hart inverted beater kick pad [from my first edrum kit]. But my friend (who is a much better drummer than me) seems to like his KD-8 just fine, so there ya go. [But then again, he has all rubber pads and doesn't seem bothered by that either, so there ya go again -- it can come down to personal needs and tastes rather than absolutes)

Comment

I want to add that I never had have an acoustic drum set, but I do play one every week in my drum lessons (A Yamaha Custom Beech-Set).
                          The music I play doesn't have much doublebass-parts.

Comment

Working...
                          X