Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Roland TD-20 Expandability?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland TD-20 Expandability?

Greetings:

I've been pondering v-drums more and more of late, the ability to have 50 (or 100 if I get the expansion card) at my choosing, the portability if I happen to move, and the reduced noise if I use headphones and to not annoy my room mates .

I've been looking at Roland's kits and the TD-20 looks right up my alley, however the one thing I haven't been able to ascertain with a decent answer is how expandable is the setup?

I found a picture of the back input panel and happily there seems to be lots of inputs. However I'm not familiar enough to know out of the 14 inpurts, how many are used by the standard setup?

Basically what I want to know is: By default the kit comes with 4 toms and 2 cymbals, is it possible at a later date for me to add more cymbals and maybe a 5th or 6th tom to the setup? Or would something like that require a whole separate module (thus being expensive and out of my range!)

Thanks everyone!

- D

Welcome to the forum!

The standard setup (4 toms, 2 crashes, ride, hi hiat, snare, kick) leaves 4 empty Aux inputs which are all two way so you'll get head and rim sounds, more than enough for most people

If that's not enough you could use a TMC-6 which has more inputs which you can midi up to your module

http://www.roland.co.uk/drum_room_catdet.asp?id=TMC6

however you won't get access to any of the v editting features via the TMC as far as I know.

I would recommend getting a second hand module (like a TD6) instead of the TMC as it'll have more inputs and come with sounds onboard, you can then run the output into the mix in on the TD20.

Comment

Welcome to the forum !!
      i haven't seen anyone else getting GAS before even trying his new kit
      Well yes at the free trigger inputs u could add any pad you like such as toms,cymbals and after that you could do what FatRich suggests.Either get a second module,or a TMC-6 or some SPD'S for more triggers.After that you will need 2 more mds-20 racks to add more pads to the remaining trigger inputs.After that you will need to add some more human parts such as 2 more legs,4 more hands and maybe a second head

Ok seriously now just add some more cymbals (china,splash or some roto's) and you're done !
      Ex E-kits:
      ''Lernean Hydra'' ( a bounche of roland pads with a td-6 module)
      ''Lucy'' (Diamond electronic drums with a td-12 module)
      current E-kit
      ''Cherry Gretschy Lady'' (Gretsch Catalina Ash 6 piece A to E kit-Roland td20 module-A to E cymbals)

A-kit
      " Mrs.Catalina'' (Gretsch Catalina maple 6 piece kit-Paiste signature+Masterwork custom made cymbals)

check out a few videos http://www.youtube.com/user/hampisdrums

Comment

Oh! In my sleepy nature I forgot it was 2 crashes and and a ride. Is the ride triple triggering like the one on the new TD-9 so it does bell, regular flat surface, and the edge?

If so, then that leaves those four extra inputs and I will add 3 more cymbals and one more tom I think and I'd be happy as can be

- D

Comment

The three-zone ride on the TD20 is three-zone, as you described, and is serviced by two inputs dedicated to that single device. All other channels (including the four AUX channels and the kick channel) are dual-zone. Using the Keith Raper circuit, you can input two single-zone pads through a dual-zone jack. So, I suppose you could operate as many as 24 single-zone pads plus the three-zone ride and the hihat.

For my part, I have filled the four AUX channels with four PD9 pads. I use the as cymbals, tympani, bongos, and various percussion.
          Id rather be told the ugly truth than handed a pretty lie.

Comment

i guess i'm not most people, if you dont use the edge of a ride cymbal you can use that input for a extra tom or cymbal or anything your heart desires. with a SPECIAL y adaptor you can split the aux inuts to hook up 2 single zone pads or cymbal triggers which i did and still had to get a second module, darn GAS! plus roland just came out with a tdw 20 expansion card.
            if you got GAS you better get a td 20
            Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

I may have been in error when I said the Keith Raper circuit was what was need to use two single pad in a dual-pad input. I know it does require a special y-adapter. Hopefully someone who actually has done this will chime in.
              Id rather be told the ugly truth than handed a pretty lie.

Comment

i have made a couple of y adapters and bought one out of lazyness and they work great! i bought one from hope drums but cant remember how much i paid for it. you can find all the info here
                http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27881
                Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

Working...
                X