Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

TDW-20 Upgrade - Things to know.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TDW-20 Upgrade - Things to know.

Okay, so I'm almost certain the wife picked me up a TDW-20 for Christmas.

For those of you who have upgraded and messed around with the new features. What should I know/do from the beginning to have the best experience. Basically this is a lessons learned thread if you will.

Thanks for your input.
    -Coop

Roland TDW-20 Module VEX'd, Boss FS-6, two DW 9900 holding four Pintech Concertcast toms, Hart Dynamics Pro Snare on DW 9300, Hart Dynamics ECymbal II HiHat on EPedal II, Hart 14" Crash, 12"crash, 14"China, 16"ride on 4X DW 9700 , Pintech DingBat, Roland KD-120, Tama Iron Cobra doubles, Pork Pie Big Boy Throne (Camo).

First, installation is a snap, so don't worry there.

Back up your kits. If you have made any tweaks you will need to save them and re-import them after the upgrade. That's the biggie.

You get new sounds, features and effects, but everything is pretty much the same as before. No surprises. You get 100 kits in memory and 99 backups on the CF card. That is a big bonus in my book.
    sigpic

Comment

Do NOT interpret the manual to mean that you should format the included CF card BEFORE doing the install. The manual is not written as well as it could be, and some have formatted the card before upgrading then not been able to do the upgrade. Other than that, the install is about as simple as it can be, easily performed.

Lyle
      and the jukebox plays..... !! (the Nails - Home of the Brave )

E-set : TDW-20, 2 up & 2 down, VH-12, 6 cymbals (5 CY14, 1 CY15), 2 Pintech Dingbats all on a Gibraltar rack, thru a Simmons DA200S
      VExpressions Gigging Kits & Top 50 Drummers #1

A-set : 1968 Ludwig Hollywood in Burgundy Sparkle

Comment

once again. do not format the card at least not untill you have a confirmed installation.
        Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

The installation steps are accurate. Follow them and all will be smooth. (Don't format the card at all - use it to install and then put it back in the box. ) Make sure to read the "import" section so you don't come back and ask "why can't I load my kits?"
          Alan
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

Originally posted by amonline View Post
            The installation steps are accurate. Follow them and all will be smooth. (Don't format the card at all - use it to install and then put it back in the box. ) Make sure to read the "import" section so you don't come back and ask "why can't I load my kits?"
            Yes the "installation" steps are clear, but the "formatting" steps are not. I learned the hard way.

Just back up your kits on a old card or format a new one and back up the kits.

Then proceed with the card from the tdw-20 box and just forget about the word Format and you cant go wrong.
            Tom
            ENLIGHTENMENT IS THE EGO'S BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT

Comment

Didn't I just say that?
              Alan
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Didn't I just say that?
                Yer,
                just repeating the point so Labenske does'nt do what i did the first time round.

Hows the tdw kits coming Alan? Roland have given us a tasty pallet of colours to play with.
                TOM

Comment

OK, just so we got that straight..... DO NOT FORMAT THE NEW TDW-20 CF CARD!!!!!!! easiest to do a backup on a different CF card. Take that card out. Then do the install, update with the TDW-20 CF card .... then do whatever you stinkin please with the new card.
                  Last edited by JmanWord; 12-18-08, 05:14 PM.
                  I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
                  Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Originally posted by JmanWord View Post
                    OK, just so we got that straight..... DO NOT FORMAT THE NEW TDW-20 CF CARD!!!!!!! easiest to do a backup on a different CF card. Take that card out. Then do the install, update with the TDW-20 CF card .... then do whatever you stinkin please with the new card.
                    sorry can you say that again?

Comment

Originally posted by tablatom View Post
                      Hows the tdw kits coming Alan? Roland have given us a tasty pallet of colours to play with.
                      TOM
                      They're coming right along. I'm on the polishing stage, but taking my time. The first expansion is studio-production based with raw acoustic version bonus kits. When I say bonus, I don't mean the typical 3-4 bonus kits - more like 15-20. This'll be more like a Studio Kits 2 meets Master Picks series.
                      Alan

Comment

They're coming right along. I'm on the polishing stage, but taking my time. The first expansion is studio-production based with raw acoustic version bonus kits. When I say bonus, I don't mean the typical 3-4 bonus kits - more like 15-20. This'll be more like a Studio Kits 2 meets Master Picks series.
                        Alan
                        do you know the Mahavishnu orchestra album
                        Visions of the Emerald Beyond ?
                        Narada Michael Walden drums his ass off at such a young age.
                        His drum sound is so awesome.
                        I really like the sound in the 1st 2 tracks
                        Eternity's Breath, Pt. 1, Pt.2.
                        His bass drum and snare marry so well together.
                        I'd love to have a kit that sounds like that.

And

Vinnie Colaiuta's snare sound in this clip is another sound i'd really love to have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r47In-GEv20

TOM

Comment

I'll check those out.
                          Alan

Comment

Originally posted by JmanWord View Post

Okay so I format the card first, right?
                            -Coop

Roland TDW-20 Module VEX'd, Boss FS-6, two DW 9900 holding four Pintech Concertcast toms, Hart Dynamics Pro Snare on DW 9300, Hart Dynamics ECymbal II HiHat on EPedal II, Hart 14" Crash, 12"crash, 14"China, 16"ride on 4X DW 9700 , Pintech DingBat, Roland KD-120, Tama Iron Cobra doubles, Pork Pie Big Boy Throne (Camo).

Comment

They're coming right along...
                              I've got the money standing by.
                              -Coop

Comment

Working...
                              X