Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

TD-10 exp vs TD-9 vs TD-12?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-10 exp vs TD-9 vs TD-12?

I've searched the forum for this topic but haven't found much info.

I originally looked for a used TD-8 because I thought (and still think) it offers the best value. Then, I couldn't resist the GAS attack and decided I wanted a TD-10 exp instead.

But I noticed a used TD-10 exp worths roughly the same as a used TD-9 on ebay. Given that they are of the same price, which is a better choice?

Another thing is, the price difference between TD-10 exp and TD-12 is about USD$300 on ebay. What would I miss in TD-10 exp as compared to TD-12?

John
    My compact kit.

Anyone?
    My compact kit.

Comment

I don't know if the TD-9 has interval control. If not, I think you might consider the TD-10, espacially when you want to record/play out live. I don't really know the TD-9, but it's the follow-up of the TD-6, a used-to-be entry model, where as the TD-10 (exp.) used to be the flagship model. The TD-9 has newer sounds, but the TD-10 (exp.) is still a great value model.

Stijn
      'lectric drumma
      Roland TD-20, Hart Dynamics 7.6, 2 x PD-7, extra PD-7 and Hart Snare laying around, Vic Firth Dave Weckl signature sticks, Axis A-longboards double pedal, Sony MDR-CD780 headphones and not enough inputs.

Comment

Thanks Stijn.

I did a quick search on the forum. It seems TD-10 exp doesn't have interval control but it is still less susceptible to "machine gun" effect than the other models.
        My compact kit.

Comment

The exp TD-10 does not have interval control (that's been stated numerous times in here). It also does not have offset.

The TD-8's huge advantage (another drummer near me has one) is that it's a great plug and play module whereas just about every TD-10 owner whose offered an opinion almost always says it takes forever to get a kit dialed in that you like.

The 8 also does not have interval control and offset. Offset I can live without but interval control is probably *the* best feature on the 12/20.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
          TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Grog, what do you mean with "offset"?

sciomako, sorry for not mentionning that the TD-10 doesn't have interval control... The TD-20 was actually the first module that has interval control, followed by the TD-12. Still not sure about the TD-9. As Grog already stated, the TD-8 is a great module as well. I think in order of preference between TD-8, TD-10 and TD10 exp. it might be TD-10 as least prefered, followed by the TD-8, followed by the TD-10 exp. As far as the TD-10 (exp.) and the TD-9 goes, I think it depends on your needs (and interval control maybe, I actually think it is a real great feature). From what I know, the TD-9 has a kit with double bass, without needing a 2nd bassdrumpedal, and has some nice learning features - learning as in learning how to play the drums. If you're a more experienced drummer, as I already said, the TD-10 (especially expanded) is still a great value. And so is the TD-8 BTW.

Stijn

Edit: the TD-10 (and TD-8 neither I think) doesn't dual triggering on the toms. The TD-9 does.
            'lectric drumma
            Roland TD-20, Hart Dynamics 7.6, 2 x PD-7, extra PD-7 and Hart Snare laying around, Vic Firth Dave Weckl signature sticks, Axis A-longboards double pedal, Sony MDR-CD780 headphones and not enough inputs.

Comment

Offset is the HH function that allows the module to work in conjunction with the VH-11/12 and the Hart Epedal Pro II.

TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Originally posted by grog View Post
                Offset is the HH function that allows the module to work in conjunction with the VH-11/12 and the Hart Epedal Pro II.

Hey,

Not to be contrary..but the vh11 works with mine... so does the Hart Epedal II stand, but not with the variation in sound. I get, open, closed, loose, and chick...that's it.

I think you mean it doesn't do the variation in sound when you press harded on the footpedal right?? (Like when using a vh11/12 on a TD20) -That's definitely true. I get the sounds mentioned above but that's it, no varying degrees etc. as the module can't do that.

E
                - your source for electronic cigs. Use coupon code "" for 10% off every order!!!

Comment

I use a TD-9 which I think is brilliant.

Correct me if I'm wrong everyone... but I believe the main differences between the TD-9 and the flagship 12 and 20 models are that it:-

1. Doesn't utilise COSM (Composite Object Sound Modelling) so doesn't have 'in-depth' sound editing.
                  2. Doesn't have Interval Control.
                  3. Doesn't have Hi-Hat Offset.
                  4. Is not completely compatible with the VH-12 (no pedal pressure sensitivity) but is fully compatible with the VH-11.
                  5. Doesn't have Positional Sensing.
                  6. Doesn't have multiple audio outs (just the stereo pair and phones).
                  7. Is not 'TDW expandable' (10 and 20 only).
                  8. Doesn't have an on-board sequencer (but does have a single-take 'Quick Record' function).

However, it does have noticeably newer (better?) sounds... is a lot more 'immediate' to use... and has great 'practice' facilities ('Scope', Metronome, On-Board playalong songs, etc).

If you're not in need of practicing tools such as these... and prefer more editing control over your sounds, you're probably better suited to an expanded TD-10 or, in my opinion, better yet, a TD-12 if your budget can stretch to it.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterMR View Post
                    I use a TD-9 which I think is brilliant.

Correct me if I'm wrong everyone... but I believe the main differences between the TD-9 and the flagship 12 and 20 models are that it:-

6. Doesn't have multiple audio outs (just the stereo pair and phones).
                    I believe the 12 also only has a single stereo pair out. 8and phones of course)
                    TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
                    ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
                    not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

I think you mean it doesn't do the variation in sound when you press harded on the footpedal right?? (Like when using a vh11/12 on a TD20) -That's definitely true. I get the sounds mentioned above but that's it, no varying degrees etc. as the module can't do that.
                      That's what I meant.

Comment

Originally posted by 'lectric drumma View Post
                        Edit: the TD-10 (and TD-8 neither I think) doesn't dual triggering on the toms. The TD-9 does.
                        Thanks. Roland's compatibility FAQ indeed shows rim shot is supported on all inputs on TD-10's (but not TD-8) with rubber pads, but not mesh. That's interesting. I'm wondering why...

John
                        My compact kit.

Comment

Originally posted by sciomako View Post
                          Thanks. Roland's compatibility FAQ indeed shows rim shot is supported on all inputs on TD-10's (but not TD-8) with rubber pads, but not mesh. That's interesting. I'm wondering why...

John
                          I'm guessing, but i believe that the TD-10 shipped with pd 100s and 120s as mesh, that did not have dual triggers, unlike their replacement 105s and 125s. The Roland chart MIGHT reflect this - so maybe the module would work with the newer pads??
                          TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
                          ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
                          not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Originally posted by grog View Post

Right... somehow when starting to read your sentence, I was thinking: "heck, I knew that"...

Sciomako, you are right about the rimshots. I wasn't complete in my answer. If I'm correct - someone please correct me if I'm wrong (Bruce?) - you can get rimshots with the rubber pads since those are piezo-rim switch pads, where as the mesh head pads are dual piezos. The older PD-100 pads were single trigger type, the PD-120 were dual piezo, just like the newer PD-105 and PD-125. The reason for the PD-120 to be dual piezo is because they were used as snares, and the snare input on the TD-10 does support dual triggering for the toms, as were the others only support dual triggering for piezo-rim switch pads. So no matter if you put PD-100, PD-105, PD-120 or PD-125 on the tom-inputs on the TD-10, with these pads you won't be able to get a rim shot, no matter if the pad is dual piezo or not. I don't remember which inputs all accepted dual piezo pads, I know the snare does, and the cymbals míght, but I'm not sure anymore.

Martin, great list of the differences between the modules. Little hijack... does anyone know if you use the TD-9 as a secondary module through e.g. a TD-20 via MIDI, if you can still use the TD-9 sounds? And what about features like "Scope"?

Stijn
                            'lectric drumma

Comment

Originally posted by saku View Post
                              I'm guessing, but i believe that the TD-10 shipped with pd 100s and 120s as mesh, that did not have dual triggers, unlike their replacement 105s and 125s. The Roland chart MIGHT reflect this - so maybe the module would work with the newer pads??
                              Sorry, I didn't make it clear. The chart shows rim shot is ok with rubber or mesh pad on the snare input. But on other inputs, only rubber pad gives rim shot. It clearly lists down all the pad models. Maybe Grog can clarify?

John
                              My compact kit.

Comment

Working...
                              X