Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Electronic Pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BarT
    replied
    My suggestion would be a PD-8 and a TD-8 for tap patterns.

A DrumKAT is bigger than an SPD-S, which was too big.

Bruce

Leave a comment:

• jrcel
    replied
    www.alternatemode.com

Leave a comment:

• Vectron
    replied
    Get a used DrumKat, and connect it to a keyboard or sound module.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Render
    replied
    The SPD-S does not do Tap Patterns.

You might look into something like an Alesis Control Pad, which just sends MIDI signals. Then find a piece of hardware or software that does what you want.

Leave a comment:

• spoon
    replied
    With the SPD-S, would I be able to do the "tap pattern"?

However, I think that's bigger than I'd like since I plan on setting up this in the spot above my bass drum, but still leaving room to mike the snare.
    http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...drumer/dr3.jpg

I was hoping I could just use a simple pad and set up these tap patterns through some other device... hm, I guess I just really need to learn about electronic drums in general. Part of my problem is just that I don't know anything about this stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Render
    replied
    The first concept is the "Tap Pattern." Basically this is a MIDI pattern assigned to a pad or cymbal and progresses to the next note or chord each time the pad is struck. You can also assign loop and one shot patterns.

Most of that video was made by assigning MIDI patterns to pads. The MIDI can be assigned to an internal GM synth or externally to a hardware synth or a computer.

The Roland Modules do not have sampling, so if you need custom sounds, you have two choices. The Roland SPD-S is a sampler that allows you to assign sounds and audio loops to pads. The Yamaha DTXtreme (which the video uses) allows you to add samples straight to your kit.

I have a TD-20 and an SPD-S and I could reproduce that video.

Leave a comment:

• spoon
    replied
    Well, I'm not strictly planning to play chords, I just wanted give an example. Really, I'm not 100% sure all what I'd use yet, I'm first just trying to get an idea what options will be available if go through with this.

I'm just basically looking for a way to program a bunch of sounds to play in a specific order each time I hit a pad. And I'd like to have several of those programmed patterns that I could switch between depending on the song. I'm not expecting it to be a really cheap and easy thing to do, but I really don't know anything about this sort of stuff so I'm just trying to first teach myself about it (through you guys ).

Leave a comment:

• Hellfire
    replied
    Originally posted by spoon View Post
    I was told you guys could probably help me out, so here I am. This is just a copy/paste from my thread on another forum.

So, I'm looking into getting some electronics involved with my drumming/band. But I'm not too familiar with this sort of stuff, so I just thought I'd ask here to see if you guys can turn my head in the right direction.

Basically, I just want a pad. If I could just use one, that'd be great. I'd want to be able to set it up so when I hit it once, it'd hold a chord or something. And when I hit it again it would go to the next chord. That sort of stuff. So I'd need to be able to program the pad for each song and be able to adjust it depending on the song. Basically something to the effect of what he does at about 0:39. That's the idea anyway.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFWAMTdoZqg

So, my question is, what all do I need to make that happen? We already have a full PA system, so I don't have to worry about any of that. I just want to know what sort of pad I can do this with, what I need to do to program/save patterns so it works like that, and anything else that I'm forgetting. Obviously I'd rather not pay more if something cheaper will accomplish what I want to do, but price really isn't an issue so I'm open to any sort of suggestions.

Thanks.
    One of the reasons you are probably not getting much of a response with this question is because there are many ways to accomplish this and none are super cheap or super easy, and I don't know how many drummers utilize is in a live gig format. If you plan on using a chord from a synth, I believe a Roland TD-12 or TD-20 can do this using its internal sound engine. I know my TD-8 has some similar features, but I never learned how to program them (never had a use for it). If you are wanting a sample a sound that you made, you might want to look into a Roland SPD-S Sampling Percussion Pad. ($495.00 from Musician's Friend). Maybe one of the TD-12 or 20 gurus could chime in on this.

Leave a comment:

• spoon
    started a topic Electronic Pads

Electronic Pads

I was told you guys could probably help me out, so here I am. This is just a copy/paste from my thread on another forum.

So, I'm looking into getting some electronics involved with my drumming/band. But I'm not too familiar with this sort of stuff, so I just thought I'd ask here to see if you guys can turn my head in the right direction.

Basically, I just want a pad. If I could just use one, that'd be great. I'd want to be able to set it up so when I hit it once, it'd hold a chord or something. And when I hit it again it would go to the next chord. That sort of stuff. So I'd need to be able to program the pad for each song and be able to adjust it depending on the song. Basically something to the effect of what he does at about 0:39. That's the idea anyway.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFWAMTdoZqg

So, my question is, what all do I need to make that happen? We already have a full PA system, so I don't have to worry about any of that. I just want to know what sort of pad I can do this with, what I need to do to program/save patterns so it works like that, and anything else that I'm forgetting. Obviously I'd rather not pay more if something cheaper will accomplish what I want to do, but price really isn't an issue so I'm open to any sort of suggestions.

Thanks.
Working...
X