Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Headphone only band practice????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headphone only band practice????

Is this possible? Can anyone suggest a way that we can have a band practice with everyone plugged into headphones and we can all hear each other and control our volume individually? I was thinking of using a mixer, but there are not enough outputs for headphones...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...Brad
    TD-8, Hart Acusnare, Pintech Concertcast toms, Gibraltar rack

could try output to headphone amp, try using the search as there have been a number of discussions on headphone amps & in-ear solutions.

David

Comment

yes.you'll need a mixer or recorder.then you'll need a headphone amp or headphone monitor system.as harlock mentioned and others have spoke of.if cost is not a huge concern.you might want to look at the FURMAN line of products.you can give a drummer,bassist,guitarist etc.their own individual quality mix.even for a full symphony.i play quite a bit at night with3,4,5 piece bands.nice and quiet.the rolls gear is a good set up for jamming and whatnot.also quite affordable.good luck.you can email me for specifics if need be.
      -i can levitate birds and no one cares-----------V-CONCERT,CY12H-CY15R/SPD-20-XP-60 V-STUDIO 1824CD,DAUZ PADS,NO RYTHYM AND MISC.CRAP 9"HART SPLASH/AKAI S5000/ASSLOAD OF SAMPLES

Comment

caution, naieve question ahead

This is an interesting idea. But how do you get an electric guitarist or bassist do play only through the headphones? Usually they play through their favorite amp to generate the sound, and then the amp is miked. Sending that miked output to the headphones doesn't help, it's too late at that point... What am I missing?
        TD-10 (not expanded), PD-120, 2xPD-100, KD-7, snare stand, double-tom stand.

Comment

Re: caution, naieve question ahead

Originally posted by PurpleGuy
          This is an interesting idea. But how do you get an electric guitarist or bassist do play only through the headphones? Usually they play through their favorite amp to generate the sound, and then the amp is miked. Sending that miked output to the headphones doesn't help, it's too late at that point... What am I missing?
          When I record my wife playing guitar, I send the guitar signal directly to the mixer/recorder. I assume you would send it to a mixer and then to the headphone amp.
          Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

As far as the guitar & bass, in my band, they have processors that have amp emulators (sp?) on them that defeat the need for the amps, so they could run into the mixer if they wanted to depart from their precious marshalls...
            Last edited by IndustrialDrummer; 08-22-02, 11:00 PM.
            td-6, pro-mark, remo, sabian, dw, tama rockstar.

Comment

I use a headphone amp "Leem" model HDA44. It is exactly the same as the Rolls that Harlock showed.

Comment

Loud Guitarist

That seems to be the biggest problem I would have. I have access to many electronic cymbals and drums (duh) and think a silent practice would be great - so would my neighbors.....but it is that pesky guitarist with a huge head - you know the type....just about any guitarist out there with a half or full stack.....end of each song has GOT to be a Van-Halenish - BWAAAAWAAAWAWAWAWAWAWWAWAWEEEERERERERERRAREAR
                EAREAREAREAREARERAEREREERRERRRRRRRRERERERERERERERE RE
                RERERREREREREWRERERWEWREWREWRWREWREWREWRWERWE
                RWERWERWEWREWREWRWERWEW........WERERERERERERERRERE
                RERERERERERREREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EE
                EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EE
                EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EE
                EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.........DEEE...DEEEE....DEE EEEEEEEEEE
                EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE........WEEE ERERE
                REREERERE.....

It is tough to get them to get away from that overpowering, obnoxious 4-speaker cabinet with 100 watts of tube amp....and play direct into a mixer. Maybe it is the same feeling of sending a mono-out from your module rather than 6 individual outs....donno.... They're hard to break!!!

Erik
                SEPdrums

Comment

tell him to run a pod thru a digital studio and see what he says.if he's not satisfied you could put cardboard boxes behind em and paint the word marshal on em......heh,
                  -i can levitate birds and no one cares-----------V-CONCERT,CY12H-CY15R/SPD-20-XP-60 V-STUDIO 1824CD,DAUZ PADS,NO RYTHYM AND MISC.CRAP 9"HART SPLASH/AKAI S5000/ASSLOAD OF SAMPLES

Comment

I personally have the Samson model pictured above and have been really happy with it.. Plenty of power.. The Rolls one (looks like the Leem is nearly indentical) isn't quite as much power/features.. Samson has balanced in and out and is rackable..

We have the white Furman one in some of the labs at school and it seems cool too.. Prolly more power than the Samon.. Has stereo signal led's too.. the other don't.. may/may not be important..

Yeah cardboard Marshalls are cheaper and lighter and the chicks won't notice the difference from the 3rd row..
                    Expanded TD-10, TD-7, PTX-8, DrumKAT 3.8, 8xPD7, 5xPD9, 4xKD7, FD7, 3xPD100, 4xPD120, 4xHart Acupad TE3, 2xECymbalX, Pintech Kick, 10xLP Spike, 2xSapphire, 3xPTT8, 1xPSD8, PBD8 Kick, 2xSynare 3, 2xAcrylic Cymbals, Gibraltar/Roland racks

Comment

Headphone only - i love it!!

I play in a couple of coverbands, doing quite a lot of gigs, and we do not practice that much, we only practice when we are getting new songs to or rep. And we practice only by Headphones, and here's how we do it.

1 mixer (We use a Behringer Eurodesk 24/8)
                      1 headphone amplifier
                      5 headphones
                      1 POD for guitar
                      1 POD for bass
                      1 V-drum set (TD8-KV)
                      a lot of keyboards and boxes

First our keyboardist have his own little mixer, where he can provide a stereosignal into the behringer. V-drums - I use three channels (one for Kick, and two for rest of the stereomix). Guitar and bass uses only one channel (mono) out from their PODs.

The headphone amplifier we use has 3 stereo inputs, so we create three different headphone mixes. One for me as the drummer, one for the guitarist and bassplayer, and the last one for vocals and keyboards.

This works out very well, and we practice in my appartement, not disturbing any neighbours. Of course the guitarist and bassplayer isn't TO happy about using PODs for bandpractice, they are starting to enjoy this way of practice.

One thing you MUST think of, and spend much money on is: Your HEADSET.. You cannotuse a cheap 30 dollar headset when practicing this way.. Spend atleast 100 bucks, preferably doubble that anmount :-)

I do not remember the name of the headphone amplifier, but f anyone needs the prod. name, drop me an e-mail to: [email protected]

See ya
                      Paradidle - A simple rudiment you need a lifetime to master.

Comment

My setup is pretty much the same as the one that pgilberg described except for the makes and models of the equipment. I use a Behringer Powerplay headphone amp and it's been an absolute workhorse. You can get the upgraded Powerplay Pro model for about $100.00 new from just about any music retailer. I just simply plug everyone into my Mackie 24-channel board and run the Control Room outs into the Main ins on the Powerplay. The Powerplay can accept up to twelve pairs of headphones, but we generally use no more than six. I use the AUX jack on my own channel to feed a click into, because we use sequenced material quite a bit and no one else in the band wants or needs to hear the click but me. We use AKG K270S sealed headphones, and even though they require more power to drive them up to spec, I find that I rarely need to run the Powerplay's volume beyond "2".

This is my monitoring system of choice. I did the whole basement volume war thing for many years, and I'm just tired of it. It's not only annoying, but unhealthy. Save your ears, folks, you'll be needing them in the future..........
                        TD-30 / SPD-SX /Alesis Strike Multipad

Comment

The problem I can see is that many people are picky and will want their own monitor mix. A cheap mixer with many aux sends woud be my choice. JUst an idea.
                          The best damn kid in the record industry. Maybe.

Comment

This isn't directed at anyone in particular, but I never could figure out why some people aren't sold on the idea of having a balanced overall mix. After all, isn't that what you're listening to when you hear a professional recording? What's wrong with translating that idea to live monitoring? I've been a working musician for a long time now, and I'm convinced that the whole "more-me customized mix" deal is a lot of ego-driven bull****. I mean, how loud does someone really need to be in their own monitor? Is it a case of "it's the singer's world and the rest of the band is just living in it?" I prefer to groove on what the whole band is doing, and I try to do my part in securing a good monitor mix by telling the soundman to not put drums in my monitor (I'm referring to acoustic drums, of course). My onstage volume is loud enough for myself and everyone else. If one of the other guys in the band wants drums in his monitor, then that's his choice, but why should the drummer? Yes, feeling the low-end rumble of the bass drum is cool and everything, but is it really necessary? The fewer needless things you feed into the monitors, the closer you're going to be to getting a good monitor sound.

Music isn't about being self-centered, and monitor mixes shouldn't be either. Doesn't anybody want to hear what anybody else is doing on stage anymore? If any of you guys know any musicians out there that can play in tune and in time with the band without hearing anyone but themselves, send 'em my way. I'll just tell them to turn their amps up louder and that'll be one less monitor wedge I have to deal with......
                            TD-30 / SPD-SX /Alesis Strike Multipad

Comment

As i always ay: Let's get busy
                              Paradidle - A simple rudiment you need a lifetime to master.

Comment

Working...
                              X