Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SRM350 suggestions/opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SRM350 suggestions/opinions

I have found a guy who will sell 2 Mackie SRM 350's for $250 for each one (I may be able to bargain and get him to knock it to 200, you never know).

I am not really going to be using them for a gig, I am looking for some kind of amp that I could play by myself, or to just rock out with some friends.

I know that the SRM450's are better for the low-end sounds, but I am not really trying to spend a lot of money on an amp. I just saw this deal, and wondering if it would be sufficient for what I want.

Right now, I am looking to buy one of these, but open to the idea of buying them both, if suggested by many people here, just because it's a good deal. If I paid $500 for both, would it be better to just save for the SRM450? From what I have seen, you can get a SRM450 for around $550 plus/minus $50.

I am asking because I don't won't to buy them, and then be disappointed with them.

Haha, I guess I am rambling, I am just looking for any suggestions on these speakers?

And before anyone says UTSFE, I have, and it didn't help make my decision

The massive Amp/PA stickie, I assume you read that, does talk, albeit just a tiny bit, about the SRM350s plus the general thoughts that go into what works best as a edrum PA. Given your description of the situation, these should work just fine for you (I'd love a pair at $400) but go into it knowing that maybe they won't have enough low-end. Or not. That really depends on the individual and the specifics of where they're being used. And even if they don't in the near term, you can someday down the line get a subwoofer and then you'd have one mighty fine edrum amp system.

Plus, if you buy them and are "disappointed" -- Ooi vey, that seems to be a reoccurring pathological fear in here--otoh, being disappointed from time to time sounds just like.....the real world! Okay, I didn't say "UTFSE" but you still got a dose of morning 'tude -- then just resell em. Chances are, you'd get about what you paid for em. And even if you took a minor hit on a resell price, look at it as a "demo fee", not unlike what people do when trying out new skis.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
    Last edited by grog; 12-14-08, 08:49 AM.
    TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

The 350s are just physically unable to push out enough air to get a good low thump.
      But for your purposes, it sounds like they would work fine. And grog make a great point about subwoofers. If you had a 15" sub with two SRM-350's you would be set for a long time.
      sigpic

Comment

Lemme echo what the Bejeweled One said and that is another "truism" in mentioned in the Amp/PA stickie: speakers with 12" woofers just don't push out enough low end. We played an open square in July and our PA consisted of our Yamaha amp (300w so plenty of oof there) but only 2 Yamaha unpowered PA speakers, 2-ways with 12" woofers. Normally we'd use some tanking old Peaveys with 15" woofers but just couldn't get them down to the town in time.

The result: our low end died a horrible death. Methinks even in a confined space, we would have had problems getting any oooomph. And ours would be a rough equivalent of the SRM350s in question. In fact, read a current thread in here on the recent experience of people with JBL Eons. It's instructive in this case.

But again, if massive low end isn't something you're after right now, both speakers would be fine. And yeah, I'd get both. One of the cool deals about edrums is the fact you can mix and pan em in stereo. It really does make a difference.

Last edited by grog; 12-14-08, 09:12 AM.
        TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

I'm on a roll this morning.

I just did a quick ebay perusal. New ver 2 of the 350s go for $500. There's one person selling a single old 350 (I assume that's what you're looking at) with a cover for $470.

Then I went onto craigslist. There's a pair of 350s being sold for $350 each.

No matter how you cut it, even at $250 each, you're getting a great price on these.

Comment

Working...
          X