Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Torn between two kits. Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torn between two kits. Help!

First I'd like to say hey to everyone on the forum, I'm new.

Okay, so I was thinking about buying a new set of e-drums for the Christmas, and I've been shopping around.

I found two that are within my price range (800-1000 dollars). I was pretty set on the Roland TD-3SW V-Compact (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Roland-T...05-i1176710.gc). I've actually played these at my local Guitar Center and they're pretty solid. But I'm not sure of the kick trigger will fit a double bass pedal. Does anyone know if it does?

Then I stumbled across the Alesis DM5 Pro with Surge Cymbals (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Alesis-D...15-i1402520.gc). Now, the advantage I see in these are that all the drum heads and cymbals are supposedly "real" so they might give me a better feel over the rubber (not counting the mesh snare) pads and cymbals on the Roland TD-3. Also it's cheaper. I've watched some videos demonstrating this set, but to be honest I'm not sure if it's the same one I would be buying (this one, for example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiW2i1qgqH8). It looks like it is to me, but Also, does anyone know if these Surge cymbals can be choked?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but I'm really kind of torn. I don't have much experience with e-drums and I hope I could get some pro advice here.

Thanks in advance.

Hi BVT and welcome. I'm no expert but I think you'd be better off getting the TD3 over the Alesis; easily upgradeable, chokeable cymbals (not sure if the Surge ones are but it's not mentioned on a couple of sites selling them so assume not) and adding a 2nd bass pedal to the KD8 Kick Pad is no problem.

You could always get a mesh snare at a later date for better 'feel'. In the UK the TD3 now ships with the superior MDS9 Stand, I noticed in that link it has the stock TD3 stand? Might be worth enquiring about that too.

Just my two cents worth.
    My UPDATED TD9-KX - http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g5...0/P2240044.jpg

Comment

Roland all the way. The Alesis will fall apart.

Comment

If I was deciding between the two, I would definitely go with the Roland. Having had both a TD-3 and DM5 module, even though the DM5 has more sounds and inputs, the TD-3 has more capability and better quality sounds. In the long run, the TD-3 will serve as a better platform for upgrading. For example, the DM5 only supports open and closed hi-hat; the TD-3 supports variable hat. The DM5 only supports single-zone pads; the TD-3 has support for dual-zone snares. Lastly, it has that cool drum trainer thing. One other thing, those Surge cymbals are really Smartriggers which I can never recommend to anyone (and I freely admit I have a huge beef with them).
        Last edited by Fullback32; 12-12-08, 09:56 AM.
        Hawk snare, toms, and bass; Hart ECII crashes & ride; VH-10 Hihat; Iron Cobra double-bass.
        "I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

One of the major advantages of an electronic kit is their less noisy aspect. It seems the "real" drum heads on the DM5 would be much noisier than the Roland rubber pads. Ditto the previous posts on expandability, playability, and durability. Add to that resale value when you decide to upgrade.

Comment

Well that settles it, Roland it is. One last question though: I can upgrade the toms (possibly the kick trigger) to mesh heads with no problem, right?

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it.
            Last edited by BaronVonTito; 12-12-08, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BaronVonTito View Post
              Well that settles it, Roland it is. One last question though: I can upgrade the toms (possibly the kick trigger) to mesh heads with no problem, right?

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it.
              the only problem with upgrading is the COST! Expensive, those mesh pads...

and before you upgrade the kick to mesh, search around the site---many are of the opinion that the KD8 actually feels better than a mesh! (search for topics like 'Kd8 vs Kd85')
              TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
              ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
              not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Yeah I was expecting them to cost an arm and a leg. But I won't seriously consider them until I outgrow the rubber ones. Or until I upgrade the module.

And I have done some research on the kick triggers, but I think it's just gonna come down to my personal preference.

Comment

Baron,

I started with a TD-3, upgraded to mesh pads, then replaced the whole kit

I went with Pintech mesh snare, toms, and smaller (8") kick. I like them very much. The mesh TD-3 was much nicer, the new kit is even nicer yet. The new kit is a quantum leap over the old. But, the TD-3 is a great starter , good sounds on kit#1, worked like a champ.
                  Michael

TD-12/Gibraltar rack/Pintech Concertcast drums 12" snare, 1 12" tom, 2 10" toms, 8" mesh kick, Visulite cymbals, 14" dual zone crash, 13" hi-hat, 18" 3 zone ride and 2 Dingbats, Roland PM-10, iPod, Zildjian anti-vibe sticks, Roc-N-Soc throne with backrest, Yamaha snare stand, Tama Iron Cobra pedal and HH75W hi-hat stand, Sennheiser HDR 110 wireless headphones. V-expressions 80's and 90's Giggin' Kits and Both Top 50 drummers (hopefully functional soon)

Comment

Originally posted by saku View Post
                    the only problem with upgrading is the COST! Expensive, those mesh pads...

and before you upgrade the kick to mesh, search around the site---many are of the opinion that the KD8 actually feels better than a mesh! (search for topics like 'Kd8 vs Kd85')

Comment

rack

Originally posted by kismet110 View Post
                      In the UK the TD3 now ships with the superior MDS9 Stand, I noticed in that link it has the stock TD3 stand? Might be worth enquiring about that too.

Just my two cents worth.
                      I have the TD-3 rack and I love it. Compact and rock solid IMO.

Enjoy your kit!
                      TD-6V, TD-3, KD-8, PD-85BK (snare), PD-8 (T1, T2, T3), CY-8 (Crash 1-2, Ride), FD-8/CY-5 (Hi-Hat).

Comment

Working...
                      X