Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Giving up on KitToys!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giving up on KitToys!

Been having issues with the strike pads on my KitToys (see this thread for background). Mike, when reachable, has been very helpful but I've lost patience and it's time to find something that works reliably.

The worst part of this whole story is that, when they worked, I loved the way these things played. The weight, triggering and acoustic noise were just what I was looking for. Needless to say it's a sad situation.

That being said, can anyone suggest the closest e-cymbal in terms of 'playability' to the KT's? I'm not a big fan of the rubber-covered ones (Roland/Yamaha). Based on reviews/experiences in this forum I don't trust the quality of the smartrigger's or Hart's.

I guess that pretty much leaves the Pintech VisuLites (apparently I'm too heavy hitter for their other series), DIY's and ???.

VisuLites - I own and use a VisuLite ride. For the most part I like it with the exceptions being the acoustic noise (loud enough to be heard through headphones when I'm playing) and the weight. For a ride the heavy cymbal is acceptable. I'm not sure that crashes that heavy would 'feel' right. Can anyone using VisuLites comment?

DIY - Given that I don't have any real cymbals to convert I'm not sure how cost-effective that approach would be.

??? - Any other recommendations?

Thanks.
    -Chris

I've got Harts, and no problems with them... As far as Smartrigger is concerned, the only problem I've heard about is the pealing of the damping material.

Stijn
    'lectric drumma
    Roland TD-20, Hart Dynamics 7.6, 2 x PD-7, extra PD-7 and Hart Snare laying around, Vic Firth Dave Weckl signature sticks, Axis A-longboards double pedal, Sony MDR-CD780 headphones and not enough inputs.

Comment

well, you did ask...

I have a 14" Pintech visulite dual zone crash, I like it, it works well and is fairly quiet.. it is a little quieter than hitting the top on the hi-hat, hitting the edge on the hi-hat is noisier. The 18" Ride cymbal is a bit louder than the hi-hat edge noise

I hope this helps !
      Michael

TD-12/Gibraltar rack/Pintech Concertcast drums 12" snare, 1 12" tom, 2 10" toms, 8" mesh kick, Visulite cymbals, 14" dual zone crash, 13" hi-hat, 18" 3 zone ride and 2 Dingbats, Roland PM-10, iPod, Zildjian anti-vibe sticks, Roc-N-Soc throne with backrest, Yamaha snare stand, Tama Iron Cobra pedal and HH75W hi-hat stand, Sennheiser HDR 110 wireless headphones. V-expressions 80's and 90's Giggin' Kits and Both Top 50 drummers (hopefully functional soon)

Comment

Harts are rock solid. Lifetime warranty. Their metal so play and swing like real cymbals.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
        TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Picksorsticks View Post
          ...I have a 14" Pintech visulite dual zone crash, I like it, it works well and is fairly quiet..
          Thanks for the info. Do you find the crash to be heavy at all? As I said I like my ride but I can't imagine that a crash (my ride is 16" and I'd probably go for the 16" crashes as well) would feel natural if it was that thick/heavy.
          -Chris

Comment

Originally posted by grog View Post
            Harts are rock solid. Lifetime warranty....

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
            I've been reading further and I see that the issues I was afraid of don't seem to exist on the metal version(s). I'll have to take another look at them.

I thought I read somewhere that someone was having issues getting Hart to honor the lifetime warranty. I'll see if I can search it out. Any issues that you're aware of?

That's one of the great things about Pintech. Lorrie (and Brian ) are very helpful and I've never had an issue with the warranty process.
            -Chris

Comment

As always, I echo the sentiments of my esteemed colleague grog. I haven't had any issues with my Harts and have been extremely pleased with them. The problems I was having with my hi-hat a while back were actually caused by my module, so no foul there. ONe thing you do need to know about the Hart metals is that they are single zone only (except the hat and ride). Smartriggers?.....beware...'nuff said about that.
              Hawk snare, toms, and bass; Hart ECII crashes & ride; VH-10 Hihat; Iron Cobra double-bass.
              "I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

If you're still of a mind to replicate the feel and noise level of the Kit Toys, you should check out the Pintech PC series. Every metal cymbal I've tried out was too loud for my taste.

Good luck.

Steve
                No more V-drums; all acoustics now.

Comment

Originally posted by Relayer View Post
                  ...you should check out the Pintech PC series....
                  My first set of e-cymbals were the Pintech 'zenbals' - realistically a PC series with a rubber cover. I broke the crash pretty quickly. Apparently I'm a hard hitter
                  -Chris

Comment

Working...
                  X