Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Easy way to transfer v drum recording?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easy way to transfer v drum recording?

OK, here's the deal. I'm trying to audition for a local band. The first thing they want is a recording of the aplicant playing in MP3 format. I don't have any recordings of myself playing. My thought was to use mt TD-20, and record myself playing to some of the sequences. The problem is, I don't know how to get that recording from the td-20 to a computer in an mp3 format. I have a card reader on my computer that excepts compact flash cards. Is it posible to transfer the recording using the compact flash port on the front of the td-20? And then any idea how to get it to mp3 format?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this would be a dream gig if I can get it.

No, you can't record audio files on a TD-20 compact flash card; only MIDI patterns, which would need to be played back through the module to output drum kit sounds on an audio connection to a computer for recording by a program there.

Bruce

Comment

Hi bootslrll,

I assume your PC has a sound card so all you need is a freeware application called Audacity - google that and you'll find it.

You'll need a cable to connect your TD-20 Master outputs to your PC line input
      - you may need a step down adaptor to go from 6.5mm down to 3.5mm and you can get the cable and adaptor at a shop like radio shack or even a good music shop.

Install the app, plug it all together, record your song and then export it as an MP3 - if you've got a CD burner you can put it on CD -if not you can email it to someone who can do this for you.

Try this out and see how you go. (now you're an audio engineer too !!)

Comment

Basically, what Hercules just said:

1) You need computer (desktop or laptop)

2) Download Audacity (free source recording program) and LAME (free mp3 converter program) from the same site. This is what I use, but there are plenty of other programs out there too.

3) You'll need a y-cable from your module to the computer. One end has two 1/4" mono male jacks from your module L/R outputs to one 1/8" stereo male jack to your computers line-in port (usually colored blue).

4) Open Audacity > hit record > play drums to music > stop > save tune > name tune > convert to mp3 via LAME > download to site or copy to CD/flash drive > allow others to hear your playing. A lot is trial and error, especially with setting individual pad levels compared to the song your playing with. It gets easier the more you do it. Just give it a try and ask questions. WW

TD-20exp module/TD-10exp * VH-12 hh * Gibraltar hh stand * 4 Hart Hammers * 2-22" kicks w/Pintech triggers & Blastech mesh * 1-14" snare w/Pintech triggers & Hart mesh *2-10", 2-12" & 2-14" roto toms w/Quartz triggers & Hart mesh * 7 PCY-150 cymbals

Comment

Thank you guys sooo much for the replies! I'll give the audicty thinga try. wish me luck.

Comment

Sorry for my complete and utter ignorance but what exactly is the cable which you record with called. I want to make sure I get the right one!
            Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by chimpy3 View Post
              Sorry for my complete and utter ignorance but what exactly is the cable which you record with called. I want to make sure I get the right one!
              Thanks
              Hosa CMP159 10' TRS 3.5mm Insert Cable

Hosa CMP-159 Stereo 3.5mm - Two 1/4" Mono 10 feet cable

HOSA CMP-159 1/8" Stereo to Dual 1/4" Cable 10ft

HOSA CMP159 Stereo Mini Male to Phone Y-Cable -10 Feet

Bruce

Comment

Perfect. Thanks alot.

Comment

Good work WildWes and Bart - we seem to have this question come up regularly - it might be an ideal to save the link to this thread somewhere for future similar questions....

Comment

My question was answered by this thread!
                    Love this site!

Gonna give this audacity deal a try.
                    Love my new TD-20S, Hate my credit card debt. :mad:

Comment

Just want to thank you guys again for all the feedback. What I ended up doing is, run a cable from the headphone jack to a laptop. I used windows sound recorder to record myself playing along to one of the pre-recorded tracks. I then transfered that file to a flash drive and then to my desktop. I then imported the sound file into i-tunes which automatically converted it to MP3. Kind of a round about way to do it, but I already had all the componets on hand.

Comment

It's my turn to be pardoned for stupidity...

I've hooked up my TD9 via the 2x1/4" mono output/3.5mm input stereo cable + another 20' of 3.5mm cable to plug into my PC (it's in a different room than my drums, hence the need for the 20' extension). I can record my drums, but it doesn't seem to record stereo properly. 99% of the sound appears to be on one "side" of the track (see attachment). I have a Realtek AC97 integrated sound card.

stereo.jpg

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any suggestions!!!

Comment

Even if the 20 foot extension cable is definitely stereo, it's quite possible to get a slightly out of place Tip/Ring/Sleeve connection between a plug and socket, especially if the cables are different brands. Try pushing and pulling the stereo connections slightly, while monitoring the PC stereo input if that's possible.

Bruce

Comment

I just tried plugging in my mp3 player without making any changes to the settings, just unplugged my drums and plugged in the mp3 player (different cable) and it seems to record in stereo.

If I connect the mp3 player cable to the 20' extension 3.5 mm cable and try and record my mp3 player, it seems to have the same problem as when I record my drums. So I'm thinking the 20' cable is whack...

Comment

Originally posted by BarT View Post
                              Even if the 20 foot extension cable is definitely stereo, it's quite possible to get a slightly out of place Tip/Ring/Sleeve connection between a plug and socket, especially if the cables are different brands. Try pushing and pulling the stereo connections slightly, while monitoring the PC stereo input if that's possible.

Bruce
                              I'll give that a go. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Working...
                              X