Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

v-club or custom kit???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• v-club or custom kit???

Hi folks:

I was all set to buy a v-club set from Sam Ash last night (because of the no interest for a year thing), but thought I'd wait a bit more before spending so much dough.

I was wondering if a custom kit would be better. Maybe a four piece, a la Ringo, deal. I am a novice so this would be plenty. Would piecing a kit together be cheaper/better than Roland's v-club package? Also, is the td-8 brain much better than the 6?

Any feedback appreciated.

-DC

Most people here with a V-club love it, but have customized it.

I would recommend getting a V-club and playing with it for a while, and then realize that like most of us, you will add something.

A non-scientific reading of this forum tells me that V-club owners add one of more of the following (not ranked)
    Snare: some mentioned are: PD-9, PD-80R, Hart Pro, home brew
    Hi-Hat: some mentioned are: CY-6, CY-12, CY-12H, CY-12RC, CY-15R, Pintech
    Kick: some mentioned are: 2nd KD-7, KD-80. KD-120, home brew
    Cymbals: New ride, (move CY-6 to crash 2), CY-12RC, CY-15R, Pintech etc.

You don't loose your 'replaced' PD-6s triggers, you can move the 1st one to Tom 4, (every V-club owner seems to do this) and 2nd to either Crash 2, or AUX depending on what else you are adding. Roland has defined the AUX for all 99 original drum kits in the TD-6, so when starting out, you'll have fun exploring and tweeking the defaults.
    The KD-7 Kick, has an input that will handle another Kick trigger, so you'll get a double bass without using up an input in the TD-6.

Enjoy
    Last edited by oldrocker; 08-07-02, 08:11 PM.

Comment

You can't go wrong with a V-Club. Great value for the money, expandable, sounds great. I can't compare the TD-6 to the
      TD-8 through experience, only what I've read, but it doesn't look that much better - a little more tweakable, etc. I doubt you can piece together a kit as good as the V-Club for less. Plenty of threads on the subject in here. Welcome to the board!

Comment

V-club-club

Welcome to the club
        I'm still loving mine and will surely recommend it! (expanding disease WILL hit you though!)
        Groet,
        Cas
        DIY!!! www.mosphat.com/drumcas

Comment

OK, I'm sold. Now all I need to do is sign my name in blood on the dotted line.... I should be unpacking my new v-drums the week after next. There's nothing more reassurring when making such a dear purchase than a support group such as this.

Thanks again.

-DC

Comment

Cool! Let us know how you like 'em!

Comment

Comment

Thanks again folks.

My vdrums should arrive tomorrow....

Comment

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that... I followed the consensus and went with the v-club set. Can't wait to set them up.

Comment

Consensus?

Gee, I just caught this thread and would have suggested the Customs, esp. if you can find them cheap now. I really like the mesh heads much better for all drum pads (not just the snare), and the foot kick is also much better than the pedal trigger. Adding these changes will boost the price of your Clubs past the Customs. I'd hold off on upgrading cymbals until the new Pintechs are available--that looks to be the best bang for the buck.

In any case, have fun with 'em!!!

Comment

I set the v-drums up last night and I was up until 4 o'clock in the morning! I am a novice and have been using samples for my home recordings. The v-drums sound way better. I have barely scratched the surface but so far I'm very impressed--despite the cost, which made me pause. But, yeah, I'm already lusting after a mesh head snare (although only six snare sounds on the td6 support the cross stick function).

As I said above, I'm still learning, and this was a primary reason for wanting an electronic kit, so some of the fundamentals are still difficult. For example, I can't seem to find a good balance between throne height and snare height. To play the pedals on the balls of my feet, I need to raise the throne a bit, but then I bump into my knee on the snare. If I raise the snare it seems to high for my torso.... Also, how far to place the snare and hi hat from one another? Just pereference?? I guess I'll get the hang of it. Any tips?

Also, I've only glaned at the manula, but the td6 seems to have a lot of functionality for a basic unit. As usual, Roland's terse style only hints at some of the cool things you can do. I'm going to use the v-drums with my audio/midi rig and will experiment with some of the midi features. In the meantime I've been looking at the lessons over at digievent. Very exciting and fun stuff.....
                      Last edited by verticalplunge; 08-17-02, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by verticalplunge
                        I set the v-drums up last night and I was up until 4 o'clock in the morning!
                        Yep! I did the same thing!
                        I am a novice and have been using samples for my home recordings. The v-drums sound way better. I have barely scratched the surface but so far I'm very impressed--despite the cost, which made me pause. But, yeah, I'm already lusting after a mesh head snare (although only six snare sounds on the td6 support the cross stick function).

As I said above, I'm still learning, and this was a primary reason for wanting an electronic kit, so some of the fundamentals are still difficult. For example, I can't seem to find a good balance between throne height and snare height. To play the pedals on the balls of my feet, I need to raise the throne a bit, but then I bump into my knee on the snare. If I raise the snare it seems to high for my torso.... Also, how far to place the snare and hi hat from one another? Just pereference?? I guess I'll get the hang of it. Any tips?
                        It's all preference. Try playing around with the rack, some. You should be able to find a spot for the snare that suits you. It's not so different from a standard snare stand.

Also, I've only glaned at the manula, but the td6 seems to have a lot of functionality for a basic unit. As usual, Roland's terse style only hints at some of the cool things you can do. I'm going to use the v-drums with my audio/midi rig and will experiment with some of the midi features. In the meantime I've been looking at the lessons over at digievent. Very exciting and fun stuff.....
                        Have fun, man!

Comment

Originally posted by verticalplunge
                          For example, I can't seem to find a good balance between throne height and snare height. To play the pedals on the balls of my feet, I need to raise the throne a bit, but then I bump into my knee on the snare.

Comment

Working...
                          X