Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Roland kit to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Roland kit to buy?

Hello,

I'm a first timer to electronic drums, and have been looking at TD-20 which is the flagship model. I think its a bit too expensive for me, so i was wondering what kit is best in the region of $3000.

Also, the TD-20 has been on the market for a while. When are new models coming out (so i can get the 20 cheaper)?

Thanks,

Dave

Edrum roll please........

Use the search engine. Tons of threads on cost, what kit to buy, which brands, etc. Yes, it's overwhelming but so was your question.

The second part has also been covered before, very recently in fact. The executive summary on that is "don't hold your breath" waiting on "new models". Roland's got a lot invested in the 9/12/20 series right now and the general consensus here is that it'll be 3-4 years before anything "new" is out.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
    TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Welcome Davelaruedrum...

1). As a first timer to V-Drums... my advice is to get the best one you can afford. They're all good so you won't be disappointed in any case. And they're all upgradable and to various degrees, expandable. I'm a first timer to V-Drums and I went for the TD-9KX with a couple of upgrades. Highly recommended.

2). Historically, Roland don't update their V-Drums line that frequently... so my guess is that you've got some waiting to do before Roland replace the TD-20.

Comment

Dave,

welcome to the group......you'll find your question asked/answered a number of times

you'll have the benefit of everybody here to help you make a decision..I found this board after I started my v-drum addiction.....

I put my current together for less than $3000. You don't have to buy a ready made kit. Some dealers will work with you to get what you want, you can make up your own kit like others here. I did the TD-12/Gibraltar/Pintech kit, Grog has his "mix and match heaven" set up. Look at the bottom of posts and many list their gear.

Go try some of the kits. That may help you decide.

When I started I got the TD-3 as it was in the price range that the family chief financial officer said that I could spend. Unfortunately, I was infected with GAS and started adding/replacing things and ended up with the kit I have now. I'd think that for $3000 you could find or put together something that you'd be very happy with for years to come.

A lot of all this is personal preference.

see other posts on cymbals, mesh versus rubber pads. You'll also need some sort of monitor/amp, headphones, throne, kick pedal. There are many threads on these topics too.

Good luck, let us know what you end up deciding to get !
        Michael

TD-12/Gibraltar rack/Pintech Concertcast drums 12" snare, 1 12" tom, 2 10" toms, 8" mesh kick, Visulite cymbals, 14" dual zone crash, 13" hi-hat, 18" 3 zone ride and 2 Dingbats, Roland PM-10, iPod, Zildjian anti-vibe sticks, Roc-N-Soc throne with backrest, Yamaha snare stand, Tama Iron Cobra pedal and HH75W hi-hat stand, Sennheiser HDR 110 wireless headphones. V-expressions 80's and 90's Giggin' Kits and Both Top 50 drummers (hopefully functional soon)

Comment

Sticks does raise a good point and does it much nicer than I did:

For 3K, you can put together a great kit assuming you move beyond an all-Roland, all-new myopia.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
          TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Welcome, Dave, and don't buy anything without playing it (or the same model) first.

Comment

I violated Stick's advice with the Pintech stuff I bought. I went out on a limb a bit by buying without trying but ended up happy with it.

Stick's advice about trying things is good when you can do it. Unfortunately you can't always try things. Trying out the different kits is a very good idea. That way you can get a feel for the capabilities/sounds of the different modules .The module is the key component. The module will be most expensive single item. It also is the most important part of any v-drum kit. The pads/cymbals make less of a difference.
              Michael

TD-12/Gibraltar rack/Pintech Concertcast drums 12" snare, 1 12" tom, 2 10" toms, 8" mesh kick, Visulite cymbals, 14" dual zone crash, 13" hi-hat, 18" 3 zone ride and 2 Dingbats, Roland PM-10, iPod, Zildjian anti-vibe sticks, Roc-N-Soc throne with backrest, Yamaha snare stand, Tama Iron Cobra pedal and HH75W hi-hat stand, Sennheiser HDR 110 wireless headphones. V-expressions 80's and 90's Giggin' Kits and Both Top 50 drummers (hopefully functional soon)

Comment

Working...
              X