Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

best triggers for bfd2 and sd2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best triggers for bfd2 and sd2?

i am considering getting either bfd2 or superior drummer 2 but have read some threads where people were having problems with roland pads working well with bfd2 for example. with regards to each software package, which pads work the best and which pads have people had problems with respectively?

also just wondering about a comment that someone made. apparently if i bought a kit, eg. roland td12 without a module and used drum software instead, i would be in danger of losing some of the nuances of its design. to what extent is this true?

cheers, alex

Originally posted by alexww View Post
    also just wondering about a comment that someone made. apparently if i bought a kit, eg. roland td12 without a module and used drum software instead, i would be in danger of losing some of the nuances of its design. to what extent is this true?
    You will need some sort of Trigger-to-MIDI Converter. The modules preform this task, but there are boxes that are just the converter itself (Alesis Trigger iO or Roland TMC-6). I wouldn't recommend Roland pads with an Alesis Trigger iO, I tried it and it was not a good combo. If going that route, look to other trigger makers. The TMC-6 is great with Roland pads, but is hampered by too few inputs.

I use an older TD-10. I'd suggest taking a look for used TD-8 or TD-10s, as these provide 95% of the triggering features found in newer modules (you will lack Tom Rimshots when using dual-zone mesh heads and you will not have the calibration features for using pressure sensing hihat such as the VH-12).

Here is my own video using a TD-10/TMC-6/Roland Triggers and Superior Drummer 2.0:

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44989

| Argos | Your Cloud | Lost In Germany | Life Wasted | Identity Crisis
    | The Xerophyte | Red Barchetta | Subdivisions or Drums Only |

Superior Drummer w/ Metal Foundry, dfhS samples and Platinum Samples Evil Drums.

Comment

i am considering getting either bfd2 or superior drummer 2 but have read some threads where people were having problems with roland pads working well with bfd2 for example. with regards to each software package, which pads work the best and which pads have people had problems with respectively?
      I don't think any pad can work better or worse with any particular software package, as it all depends on the bit inbetween; the Trigger to MIDI Interface.

Bruce

Comment

right ok that makes more sense. im still quite intent on getting the top range roland pads with top of the range yamaha cymbals. is there a trigger to midi interface that would work well with both these brands/products thats not too expensive?

thankyou

Comment

Joe_K outlined the options and suggested a TD-8 or TD-10.

(A Yamaha three-zone cymbal would need a modification to function fully with a Roland module.)

Bruce

Comment

but if the tmc-6 is hampered by too few inputs, whats the next option

alex

Comment

but if the tmc-6 is hampered by too few inputs, whats the next option

alex
              For stand-alone Trigger-to-MIDI converters? Nothing in the Roland line, you must switch to a full module (which provides the Trigger-to-MIDI interface and a lot of other features you may or may not be interested in using).

The used TD-8 or TD-10 is probably your best bet, as previously suggested. The Trigger-to-MIDI section of these modules is not outdated, except for the the few features absent mentioned in my first post.

| Argos | Your Cloud | Lost In Germany | Life Wasted | Identity Crisis
              | The Xerophyte | Red Barchetta | Subdivisions or Drums Only |

Superior Drummer w/ Metal Foundry, dfhS samples and Platinum Samples Evil Drums.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe_K View Post
                The used TD-8 or TD-10 is probably your best bet, as previously suggested. The Trigger-to-MIDI section of these modules is not outdated, except for the the few features absent mentioned in my first post.
                Sorry to jump in guys, but I actually had a similar thread to this. I checked out your video Joe and your hi-hat seems to have what I would consider pressure-sensing. However, you mentioned previously that by using a TD-10 module you would be giving up this option when you trigger...therefore does that mean S2.0 can actually compensate for the lack of calibration in your trigger to midi device?
                Lou

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GsB530PL5E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEope5aaDnk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BCo3...e=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRjIf...e=channel_page

Comment

Working...
                X