Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gigging Environment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigging Environment

Hi All
    I have a TD20. I have recently started gigging with it. Small venues, pubs mainly. I was warned that it is very difficult to get a good sound balance through the PA. We are finding it very tricky to find a good set up. At the last gig neither the Bassist or the Guitarist could hear anything except the cymbals.
    Does anyone have any tips on how to set up the Roland Drums in a small live environment? We thought about using a large monitor so i can hear and then place a mic and then put the mic through the pa? Roland do some drum amps but i think they are of a size that act as a decent monitor but that's all.
    Many Thanks

A large monitor would be a route worth pursuing, but wouldn't bother micing it up, especially if it's in a small pub like environment.

If you do play somewhere larger, then you could split of the signal via a DI box, with balanced out going to the main mixer / PA, and the link to your big monitor.

Surprised the guitarist, and bassist bothered to hear the cymbals, most I know only want to hear themselves.

Comment

The question is, what was the sound like out front? Maybe it sounded great to the audience and its more a better on stage monitor solution you are looking for.

Does the guitarist and bassist have their own amps and then go through the PA or just through the PA? At the end of the day, the more you put through a PA, the muddier the sound gets, so you need to make sure your PA matches the bands needs. No point having a small PA and asking it to handle a full band.

Or you could get a headphone amp and use IEMs on stage so everyone can get their own clear mix. Having additional speakers on stage for monitors in small venues can just add to the problem.

*Free TD-12 & TD-20 Kits*....*Free SPD-s Kits & Effects*
      *Videos*......*Demos*......*Pictures*......*Documents*

Comment

I'm a bit confused. Are you talking about problems with the house sound or the monitor sound?

If the monitor sound, yeah, you're going to need to setup something dedicated to that. If the other players are expecting to get enough audio from just the house sound, then yeah, the only thing they're gonna hear are cymbals and the thwapping of you hitting pads. As for the specifics of monitoring, that's been discussed tons in here both in terms of specific monitors and some type of monitoring solutions vis a vis headphone amps (which also work nicely for any monitoring solution).

If it's the house sound, the problem can be varied. My experience is that cymbals do seem to be the one thing that always stands out in a small venue with a small PA. The kick tends to be lost. Toms also tend to get buried. There are many ways around this. You can start by tweaking the crap outta your kit, that's been my approach. You can also assign some of the pads to the direct outs, plug them into the sound board and then change levels, eq, etc, from there.

www.myspace.com/rubberunivererse
        TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

how to be heard

Bottom line here is if you play with Edrums you have to have your own PA. I play with 2 or 4 15" speaker bins powered by a 800watt peavey amp, that are setup either side of me. You can't use the FOH as the vocals etc need the space. This way, your sound goes past the rest of the band before hitting the front. The band hear the drums behind them as they do with an acoustic kit. Its what I tell all would be Edrummers , you buy the kit but you have to have a decent PA to play through. I also mount a small mixer on the edrums that i can feed FOH into for my own vocal foldback. Naturally I play with "non enclosed" headphones on so I can hear the other instruments, mix in my drums and the vocals. Never had a problem.

Comment

You've never had a problem because you have a monster sound system that most folks here don't have. Or capable of transporting.

Or a stage with enough space for, oh, the rest of the band.

Seriously, your's is a great approach but probably not viable for a lot of people here.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
            TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Or a stage with enough space for, oh, the rest of the band.

Seriously, your's is a great approach but probably not viable for a lot of people here.

Sorry but I don't agree with that at all , the speakers don't take up anymore room that an acoustic kit would take up. Also if your not prepared to spend the money to make your instument sound good then your not really that interested in live performances. I've seen guitarists spend up to $8000 on one guitar , what seperates them from us , I ask.

Comment

I agree that a good sounding speaker(s) is essential to performing live, but I don't think you need a whole PA. Especially in a pub situation. A powered 15" and horn can go a long way. I usually drag two speakers to a rock gig, but I have played in musicals with just one speaker and it filled the theater. The bottom line is to get a system that fits the need.
                sigpic

Comment

the speakers don't take up anymore room that an acoustic kit would take up.

Just to clarify that, I meant that the speakers and the Edrums don't take up anymore,or less space than an acoustic kit would take up. I've replayed in venues with small stages with the acoustic and then the edrums and the edrums with speakers have seemed to allow more room on stage.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Render View Post
                    I agree that a good sounding speaker(s) is essential to performing live, but I don't think you need a whole PA. Especially in a pub situation. A powered 15" and horn can go a long way. I usually drag two speakers to a rock gig, but I have played in musicals with just one speaker and it filled the theater. The bottom line is to get a system that fits the need.

I agree and I would like to just have two powered 15"s for any indoor gig. It would save me lugging around an amp as well, but , but for bottom end , is one 15" going to do it. I once tested using one JBL EON 15" bin and it didn't seem to have enough balls,and I only play pop/rock not HM or DM. I've only used the 4x15" bins for an outdoor gig.

Comment

I'm with The Bejeweled One on this. Your PA is overkill for a pub or very small club setting.

You're preaching to the choir about wanting your e-kit to sound great in a live environment. My comments were more along the lines of "sure, with that PA setup, you'll sound good but what about the vast majority of gigging edrummers who have to get by on much less or in much smaller venues? What are the options for getting a good sound without your setup?"

Again, I'm talking "not-a-total pro, no-day-job, is-an-edrummer-for-a-living" scenario here.

Also, there are plenty of clubs in my area who's "stage" (if you put a postage stamp on it, you could mail it) simply don't have room for the rig you describe along with everything else the band might bring. Assuming you're not a power trio with otherwise minimal equipment.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse

Comment

Working...
                      X