Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New drummer - TD3KW or TD9KX?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New drummer - TD3KW or TD9KX?

Hi all

First post, have searched and read peoples input on similar questions so apologies for repetition but these things are worth a fresh input.

Used to play guitar, been wanting to learn drums for a while and now have the opportunity. Started lessons (wanted to start off with good basics/foundation) and had my eye on a TD3 but after lurking here I'm now drawn to the TD9, mainly because of the all-mesh pads, better percussion module and ability to add VEX kits in the future.

Obviously the latter cost's more and I'm a beginner but the more I think about it it makes sense. I know I'd definitely want to upgrade the rubber pads to mesh sooner rather than later anyway, that alone would cost about the same price difference but spend it now and I get the better module too.

Not made of money (if I was I wouldn't be needing to ask!) but I'm lucky enough to be able to afford the TD9 so please let me know your thoughts; is my logic sound? Or should I start with the TD3 then upgrade? Is there any aspect of the TD9 that might make it not as suitable for a newbie? Is there another kit I haven't considered that sits somewhere between these two cost/quality-wise?

Thanks in advance!
    My UPDATED TD9-KX - http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g5...0/P2240044.jpg

I too am a guitar player converted to drummer. I was in your same situation, and chose to go with a cheap rubber pad set. In the back of my mind constantly was a nagging voice (G.A.S) telling me to upgrade both the module and to mesh pads. Here it is a year later, and I've pieced together a nice mesh set with a TD-6V module and VEX kits. The general consensus around here is go with the best thing you can afford. I'd have to agree after going through my upgrade madness. The only thing recycled from the old set is the rack. The rest is lying in a useless heap. And now, I've got TD-20 voices spinning 'round in my mind...

I've no experience with the TD-9, but as it's the better module, and comes with mesh pads, it would be my choice of the two. And since you say you can afford it, it seems like a no-brainer.
    My Kit's Evolution Pics...

Comment

welcome Kismet,

I noodled with guitar for many years, then got a TD-3 to start. As you'll see below, I've significantly upgraded things. The TD-3 is a great starter kit but as you see has limitations. I sold my TD-3 to a guy at work for $500 after having it for about a year and a half.

I've since upgraded things to a TD-12/Gibraltar/Pintech set up.

Getting the best gear you can saves you $$$ in the long run so the TD-9 would be better if you can spring for it. I "lost" $499 selling the TD-3. I saved some money buying the Pintech gear. Upgrading usually costs more in the long run.

I added mesh drums to the TD-3 before completing the upgrading. You can also go with other manufacturers of racks, drums, cymbals. I made up my own kit, you can find what you want from different sources.

The Roland kits are cheaper than buying everything in them individually.

The TD-6 is the in-between Roland module. Saku (among others) can chime in about the TD-6.

Grog's kit is "mix and match heaven", I think he calls it.

I can't think of any reason NOT to recommend the TD-9. The mesh pads are nicer, especially for the toms. Some prefer a rubber kick, it's largely personal preference. I had the $$ to jump all the way to the TD-12 so maybe I saved myself one upgrade.

Good luck, you'll love whatever you get. Be careful, these v-drums are addicting.
      Michael

TD-12/Gibraltar rack/Pintech Concertcast drums 12" snare, 1 12" tom, 2 10" toms, 8" mesh kick, Visulite cymbals, 14" dual zone crash, 13" hi-hat, 18" 3 zone ride and 2 Dingbats, Roland PM-10, iPod, Zildjian anti-vibe sticks, Roc-N-Soc throne with backrest, Yamaha snare stand, Tama Iron Cobra pedal and HH75W hi-hat stand, Sennheiser HDR 110 wireless headphones. V-expressions 80's and 90's Giggin' Kits and Both Top 50 drummers (hopefully functional soon)

Comment

Hey Kismet, mate just a thought, isn't a second hand TD-12 worth the same as a new TD-9? maybe, all the Roland kits from the 3 to the 20 are great, it depends on the costs and what you really are going to use it for eh.

The trouble is they are so good it's hard to settle on say the TD-3 knowing what's out there, it can cause frustration. From experience and a lot of lost money go for the best you can at the start. Don't discount a good 2nd hand TD-6 either, an excellent kit and 2nd hand you can get some great deals, it may come with extra's eh.

Yes, an x-current guitar player as well, I'm sure we are weirder than proper drummers
        Nothing of importance here

Comment

Thanks for your replies, appreciated, especially as you probably hear the same question on a regular basis - and it seems like (ex) guitarists are first to answer

You all confirmed my thoughts, upgrading over the coming months is more costly in the long run than paying for a 'better' setup now although sook has put more thoughts in my mind with talk of a 2nd-hand TD12!

Regards TD6, I read somewhere (maybe here?) that it's better to spring for a TD9 if possible, not sure what the reasoning was (module? upgrade cost?) but will try to find the thread/article.

Usage-wise; initially it's going to be for learning/practice with the aim of (eventually) joining a band but I reckon that would be time to get an acoustic kit anyway.

Any more advice/thoughts/pointers are most welcome

Comment

The td 9 is an excellent set for abeginner..it has a stream lined interface, is very easy to use, has a couple of coach functions like the scope and the easy muting of the backing tracks for beginners...it has the best out of the box sounds of the modules, though it is a bit lacking in tweakability...

mesh is important for the snare, but i was playing on a td 12 yesterday, with pd85 mesh toms, and the things are so damn small with high rims,that I actually prefer my pd8 rubber toms...I know the mesh has better rebound, but you really need pd105 toms to fully enjoy them...given the price difference, I am happy with a mesh snare (going to upgrade to a pd 125) and keep the rubber toms...

so all in all, I thinkthe 9 is an excellent beginners kit...and the expanded 20 is great if you can afford it....

the three has some other coaching facilities, but to my mind they arent fun to do, I never use them on my hpd-10...the main aspect of the three is its price..

the 6's sounds are only so so, and despite what Bart has tried to tell me, i think the dynamics of the snare, tom rolls, and the splash sound of the 6's hihat pedal are all poor.

I looked at the three and six, bought the six, and upgraded 18 months later to the nine when it came out, and am very happy with it...
            TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
            ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
            not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

Comment

Former drummer and guitar player here. Never was much of a set drummer (I'm competent, but I was trained more in marching and orchestral percussion), but I decided to pick up an ekit to get back into playing again.

After a bit of shopping around, I decided it made the most sense for me to pick up a used TD9 module and a B-stock Pintech kit from eBay (10" mesh heads all around, minor cosmetic flaws, but otherwise in perfectly playable condition). Since both the set and module were listed with Buy It Now prices, I took advantage of Microsoft's Live Search 25% cash back offer. Total expenses so far: ~$1600. But I'm getting $400 back at the beginning of January. So for the list price of a TD3 set, I ended up with something between a 3 and a 9, but much closer to a 9. Piecing something together like this might not be a bad way to go. On the other hand, it did take a bit of tweaking to get the module settings right. Having experience with an acoustic set helped a whole lot with things like sensitivities and just dialing in the correct feel. Since you're taking lessons, this might not be a bad way to go--maybe get your instructor over for an hour to help with some setup.

On the other hand, since you're just starting out it might make more sense to get an all-in-one package for a bit more so you won't have to screw around with it as much. If you can spring for mesh heads all around, then go for it, since that reproduces the feel of real drums a lot better than rubber pads (although saku's comment about the 8" mesh drums being too small makes sense). I personally wouldn't look any higher than the 9kx at this point in your situation--more than that is overkill for someone just starting out. Another plus for the TD9 module is that it was just introduced, so it won't be made obsolete for a few years at least. Sure it doesn't have the ultra expandability of the others, but I'm also guessing you're not gonna plop yourself in a studio in the near future to knock out 12-channel drum mixes. The 9 sounds great and has a decent amount of configurability--not too much, not too little, IMHO.

Also, I'm of the opinion that gear doesn't make the player. I've watched some videos of people around here with some really nice equipment (and some with lots of it), but that honestly couldn't play for sh!t. I say get something basic that does the job and you'll build up from there as you learn to actually play. Too many beginners get sucked into acquiring equipment rather than learning basic fundamentals like solid timing and (*gasp*) rhythm. Nice equipment is nice to have, but it doesn't make you a better player.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Comment

I agree that buying an all-in-one set is the way to go if you're starting out. Also, it looks like the Live Search 25% thing is good in the US only (sorry). Story behind it is that MS is basically trying to buy people off to use their search engine instead of Google. They've partnered with some e-tailers and are taking the financial hit themselves in order to drive traffic to their site. Not gonna particularly sway me in the long run, but I'll take the money while they're offering it.

As for the bundle you're getting, overall it looks like a good package. Nice throne, solid pedal, and reasonable headphones (nice to have the bigger ear cups). Sticks are good, and you'll probably be buying a few extra pairs anyways.

The AC cord on my TD9 is about 8 ft, but that's with the US adapter--not sure what it will be in the UK. Footprint for a kit with room to play I'd say is around 4' x 5'. You can only swing the legs in so far (don't want to go much further than 90deg), but since it's all rack mounted you have a lot of options on how to adjust things. It doesn't have red/white RCA jacks, but it does have two mono 1/4" output plugs. You can get an adapter for fairly cheap. Maybe see if the music shop will throw one in for you since you're spending so much money. ; )

Good luck and let us know how you like it!

Comment

^^^

Man, MS must be desperate for business to offer that much of a discount - if you can't beat them, buy them

Thanks for the details, if the lead is the same here (guess it should be) that's ideal as I won't have to trail an extension across the floor. Similarly 4' x 5' is OK for the space I have (better to check beforehand than get a nasty surprise afterwards).

Cheers for the once-over on the package, did look good to me but nice to get another opinion.

Gonna order today or tomorrow, probably won't get delivered until week beginning 8th Dec but that's OK, I feel sure the wait'll be worth it!

Comment

Working...
                    X