Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CY-8 Play

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • CY-8 Play

    I just received my TD-6KW a week or so ago and I'm happy with it other than the play of the cymbals, CY-8's. The play seems to be inconsistent. I feel like I have to hit it perfect or I'm not getting the right sounds out of it. I'll be playing the ride in a small area and the sound will go from the regular ride sound to the bell sound. I'm not sure if there's something I have to configure to get them to perform better. Sometimes I'll damn near hit the crash with all my might only to have it make a small sound. Let me close by saying I'm a novice drummer but does my aim have to be perfect to get good sound out of these cymbals? I want to add a 2nd crash to my set and I'm considering getting a regular drum pad, or perhaps two and selling my CY-8's. Thanks for any guidance.

  • #2
    The bell sound on the TD6 should be velocity triggered - can it be that you are hitting a bit harder, perhaps for accents, that trigger the bell....and you are using only the section of the cy-8 that is meant for hitting, ie not the area with the Roland lettering...

    aside from that, I much prefer the cy12 R/C as a ride, seems to have a better feel - though you can't use the third (bell) zone on the td-6.
    TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
    ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
    not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by marhood View Post
      I'm not sure if there's something I have to configure to get them to perform better. Sometimes I'll damn near hit the crash with all my might only to have it make a small sound. Let me close by saying I'm a novice drummer but does my aim have to be perfect to get good sound out of these cymbals?
      No, it should be possible to get them triggering perfectly. Saku has explained the ride. Tell us more about exactly how/when the crashes misbehave.


      Originally posted by saku View Post
      aside from that, I much prefer the cy12 R/C as a ride, seems to have a better feel - though you can't use the third (bell) zone on the td-6.
      You could if you were able to free up a cymbal input for the bell cable.


      Bruce

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks for the response.

        I am only hitting the rubber part. Although when I experiement with hitting the solid section (very softly) it responds as I hope the rubber part would response. Pure, crisp sound every time. The manual isn't all that informative for how these things are actually supposed to work. I'll keep scouring the forums and see if I can't dig up more info on how the cymbals function.

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks for the response Bart.

          The crash is a weird one. Seems like sometimes i hit it with the tip of the stick, but with good force and it only makes a small sound. Most of the time if I hit it with the flat of the stick with force it gives me a good sounds. When I played a standard set I used to hit the edge of the cymbal with force (the way I see many drummers do it), but when I do that with the electronic the sound seems to behave inconsistently. Sometimes I'll get a good crash and other times it's just a dull sound. I haven't done any tweaking with the 6V module. Perhaps I should crank the sound up on the cymbals? The sensitivity?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by marhood View Post
            I am only hitting the rubber part. Although when I experiement with hitting the solid section (very softly) it responds as I hope the rubber part would response. Pure, crisp sound every time.
            Try reducing Threshold (to 1 or 2) for each cymbal at SETUP, TRIG BASIC.


            Originally posted by marhood View Post
            The manual isn't all that informative for how these things are actually supposed to work.
            Very true. Especially about those velocity-sensitive "RdX" ride/bell sounds.


            One general comment: Don't have the crashes mounted too horizontally. They work better and last longer if you hit the top of the rim rather than the very edge of the rim at a big angle. So slope them down towards you.


            Bruce

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks a lot for the advice BarT. Will try this tonight.

              Comment

              Working...
              X